Author Topic: PTG v3 Development  (Read 23360 times)

Check out the Modification Discussion topic here: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=281995.0

Just thought I'd post a new topic regarding development of version 3 for my Procedural Terrain Generator Add-On, especially since it's taking awhile to finish. I completely rewrote the scripts and improved them since last time, so let me know what you think! Any suggestions and constructive feedback are welcome; it's still a work in progress.

Old Gallery Topic (too old to edit or bump): http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=258023.0
Old Add-On Topic (outdated): http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=227601.0

Planned Features:
  • Infinite and Finite Terrain Generation (can choose separate grid-generation sizes for host and non-host players)
  • Options to choose radial or square grid generation, the start/end grid-gen sizes or radial gen around the player, and gradual or entire grid-gen per player (for multiplayer)
  • Custom Biomes and Detail Brick Setup (choose 3 custom biomes, each with up to 12 details bricks each - you also can choose details for caves)
  • Now will feature Common, Uncommon and Rare detail brick generation on the landscape (to make it seem more realistic) along with pseudo-random brick rotation from v2
  • Easy to Use, Intuitive GUI
  • More Efficient Scripts and Improved, Custom Made Noise Algorithms
  • Options For Normal Terrain Generation, Floating Islands, Flatlands, 3D Caves and No Terrain (for infinite free-builds)
  • ModTer Support And Options for Various Terrain Brick Sizes to Use
  • Chunk Saving and Loading (to save and load player builds on the terrain, with lights, items, vehicles, events, etc.)
  • GUI Preset Saving, Loading and Sharing
  • Path Generation, Improved Cloud Generation and Boundaries (for both grid types)(choose custom bricks for clouds and boundaries)
  • (?) Generate roads / bridges and load player saves directly onto the landscape
  • Choose various Normal and ModTer brick sizes for the landscape (i.e. 8x cubes, 4x cubes, 32x cubes, 8x8x1 bricks 16x16x1f etc.)
  • New Edge-FallOff option to snap the ends of islands to the ground
  • Option to set chunks to static or non-static (for infinite terrain - prevents removing bricks when culled, such as if the chunk as spawn bricks, etc.)
  • Chunk-management tool (for host and super-admins) for managing chunks (reload, set to static/non-static, save, remove, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:29:57 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Wow, I could imagine what such good builds could be made on these terrain generations :O

Will it be able to use modter bricks?

Will it be able to use modter bricks?
Yes, it will support ModTer bricks and hopefully the various sizes as well. The past version had to generate the entire landscape and then go back and overlay the Modular Terrain bricks after. But, this version checks nearby chunks before generating, so ModTer should now work with infinite terrain and will generate immediately for each chunk.

aw yeah

infinite terrain freebuild sounds like a fun concept that would now be possible with this
speaking of which, you should have an option for the bricks to have public ownership if you didn't already consider it

Glad to see people are still exciting for the add-on!

aw yeah

infinite terrain freebuild sounds like a fun concept that would now be possible with this
speaking of which, you should have an option for the bricks to have public ownership if you didn't already consider it
I was thinking of allowing the host to choose to either load bricks under their ownership or as public, and players' brick within chunks will keep their ownership, unless the host chooses to load them as public as well. Another great feature of this add-on is that you can choose to disable terrain generation all together, so that each player's bricks will be saved in the chunks and loaded relative to them.

will you make it so you can disable the layers of underground? it would be great to just have land terrain to not use up brick consumption