Splatoon

Author Topic: Splatoon  (Read 162023 times)

i wonder if the voices and text are all an actual language?? wouldn't that be rad to know they made an entire language for this game
i'd learn it too

I would want to learn what language they talked in just to forget with people

Damn, those city-scape backgrounds on the online matches have me itching to get out there.

Damn it Nintendo, why not have an open world online and story mode using match locations to build up a city? I would love to forget around in a massive GTA style city as a squid.

i don't even have the game but i want this

wouldn't that be rad to know they made an entire language for this game
it's been done before, who knows

i wonder if the voices and text are all an actual language?? wouldn't that be rad to know they made an entire language for this game
i'd learn it too
it's been done before, who knows
it's just random gibberish noises like nintendo does with every game

it's actually understandable, their voices
one example would be to listen closely when the two news anchors say "stay fresh"

twilight princess has fairly "intelligible" things that midna said
but it was still gibberish
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:43:44 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

twilight princess has fairly "intelligible" things that midna said
but it was still gibberish
you know there are different developers for different games right
just because legend of zelda has 'gibberish' doesn't mean every other game will

Yeah, no. Everything spoken in Splatoon is gibberish.
It might have the same number of syllables as whats being said, but its not whats being said.

Yeah, no. Everything spoken in Splatoon is gibberish.
It might have the same number of syllables as whats being said, but its not whats being said.
uh
if that's how languages work then any language i don't know must be gibberish

how 2 win splatoon for beginners

1. have everyone on your team use a paint roller

2. destroy everything

yeah but they're both run by the same company which is going to have the same ideals
making up a language costs money
and a lot of time
which also costs money
nintendo puts random gibberish syllables to words because it's a forget TON cheaper than hiring voice actors and takes up less space on a disk

uh
if that's how languages work then any language i don't know must be gibberish
well you're in luck then cuz that's not how languages work
languages aren't just random syllables
they actually have
you know
words
and grammar
and structure
and a general feel that evolved with and reflects the culture of the language's speakers

how 2 win splatoon for beginners
1. have everyone on your team use a paint roller
2. destroy everything
3. get killed by good people who know how to run and kill you from a distance
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:58:20 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

well you're in luck then cuz that's not how languages work
languages aren't just random syllables
they actually have
you know
words
and grammar
and structure
and a general feel that evolved with and reflects the culture of the language's speakers
in case you didn't know a japanese guy saying 'konnichi wa' isn't going to have the same syllables as an american saying 'hello'
the only thing that sounds close to what they're actually saying is the same thing maxwell pointed out: when the news casters say 'stay fresh'. again when the news casters have an exclamation point at the end of their sentence it ends in a higher tone (pitch?) then the rest of what they're saying which gives off the impression of an actual language

yeah but they're both run by the same company which is going to have the same ideals
and a lot of time
which also costs money
nintendo puts random gibberish syllables to words because it's a forget TON cheaper than hiring voice actors and takes up less space on a disk
1. 2k gave evolve terrible reviews due to high pricing yet 2k also has their title on an extremely popular shooter franchise, "Borderlands", and valve owns cs:go, and tf2, which (other then being shooters) are entirely different
explain how nintendo is any different, also how would it take up more space on a disk to have voice actors speaking an actual language then not speaking an actual language
that doesn't make much sense
smells like you're the one speaking gibberish.....

and a lot of time
which also costs money

its not really THAT expensive to make up a new language, just look at final fantasy X
substitution ciphers yo

its not really THAT expensive to make up a new language, just look at final fantasy X
substitution ciphers yo

invader zim just made new symbols for English letters so yeah lol

in case you didn't know a japanese guy saying 'konnichi wa' isn't going to have the same syllables as an american saying 'hello'
yeah and japanese has all the properties of a language that i said
but the game characters aren't saying "konnichi wa," they're saying random phonemes
Real languages aren't random phonemes. Have a person speak to me in german, french, spanish, russian, japanese or any (common) language that I know absolutely nothing of (or in the case of german, very little), and I will, most of them time, be able to tell you what language they're speaking, even though I know nothing of what they're saying. And that's not some special skill of mine, I think most people should be able to do the same to some extent. This works because real languages have a specific feel to them, not just random phonemes.

2k gave evolve terrible reviews due to high pricing yet 2k also has their title on an extremely popular shooter franchise, "Borderlands", and valve owns cs:go, and tf2, which (other then being shooters) are entirely different
explain how nintendo is any different
I'm not saying anything about what games are made, I'm talking about how they're made
The games are entirely different, but the way the business operates is still the same, and thus the way to develop, and what they prioritize development on, is the same
There is simply no business case to be made for creating an entire language for a game with only a small amount of lines. It simply doesn't add anything. Also add in the fact that their probable target audience for this game (kids) just doesn't care

also how would it take up more space on a disk to have voice actors speaking an actual language then not speaking an actual language
that doesn't make much sense
smells like you're the one speaking gibberish.....
Voice actors speaking an actual language requires a recording of every single line in the game (although admittedly because there's few lines in Splatoon, the size difference is less significant)
Gibberish syllables requires just a handful of single phoneme recordings (and it's possible they're not even recorded at all, just synthesized), which can be randomly assembled. And then a few preselected arrangements of phonemes for key phrases such as the "stay fresh"

substitution ciphers yo
invader zim just made new symbols for English letters so yeah lol
These aren't languages, they're ciphers. Tiki even used the word 'cipher'
taking a cipher and calling it a language doesn't magically make it a language. It's still just encoded english
see
they actually have
you know
words
and grammar
and structure
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:08:58 AM by Headcrab Zombie »