blf, I'm having trouble deciding which high school to go to

Author Topic: blf, I'm having trouble deciding which high school to go to  (Read 2519 times)

Generally living in poverty, I find snobs to be a bunch of richards that do nothing but flaunt their money and material wealth around. You'd do better to go to the generic highschool anyway, you have your friends there, and with the larger group of people there, more fun can be had.

That's pretty much what they are. Sure, they're nicer, but they're super arrogant and always act like their better than you, as if it's a richard measuring contest over "who has the best grades" or "who has the most material wealth" (like you said).

Man, go with your friends. If the second school is still as good as you say, then being at the best of the best isn't worth it if you're not enjoying yourself.

Man, go with your friends. If the second school is still as good as you say, then being at the best of the best isn't worth it if you're not enjoying yourself.

Sorry, but don't you mean the first school (the snobby one)

Go with the better education. Think about which one will set you up for college better.

Sorry, but don't you mean the first school (the snobby one)
By my understanding, the second one is still a good school, right? I'm saying choose the good school + friends, not the great school where you'll associate with almost no one. I feel like your going to dislike the first school enough that that could outweigh the benefit of the potentially better teaching.

I'd say go with the smaller school
it's fun to be in a small community, and probably easier to learn

when I started in the US my class size was 14, in a school K-8 or something like that, with 150 students AND faculty combined
then went to public schools in 4th grade with a class size of 200, one teacher per 20 kids instead of 2 teachers per 14
I really enjoyed the small environment and learned all the math I needed up to 9th grade in grades 1-3
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:07:18 AM by phflack »

I've been in a small school for 3 years straight, less than 200 people in it.

Almost everyone knew everything about everyone else.

After HS, nobody cares what HS you went to.

If they do then you probably shouldn't work for them.

There's a huge difference between passable and horrible. Generally, the smaller school/classes the better, but certain people, especially teachers, can ruin the whole experience.

Regarding the friends thing and not wanting to be a shut-in, just don't make school your only place to meet people.

For comparison, I recently graduated after having commuted about an hour extra each way to go to a private (but publicly funded) HS. A few really good teachers, but I probably wouldn't do it again (at that school) thanks to the specialization-relevant teachers generally being quite horrible, as well as some disagreements with school management (for example, they tried to force students to collect money for a pretty questionable charity to generate PR for the school, threatening to pull CSN money if you refused).

you can go both ways with those super rich kids with nothing but loose ends and fake friends depending on if you befriend all of them

i would stick with the 2nd high school, but that's just my preference

Definitely the second one.

I'd like to break the meta and say don't make this big decisions in your life based on your friends this young.

There's a huge difference between passable and horrible. Generally, the smaller school/classes the better, but certain people, especially teachers, can ruin the whole experience.

Regarding the friends thing and not wanting to be a shut-in, just don't make school your only place to meet people.

For comparison, I recently graduated after having commuted about an hour extra each way to go to a private (but publicly funded) HS. A few really good teachers, but I probably wouldn't do it again (at that school) thanks to the specialization-relevant teachers generally being quite horrible, as well as some disagreements with school management (for example, they tried to force students to collect money for a pretty questionable charity to generate PR for the school, threatening to pull CSN money if you refused).

Oh hey, that sounds familliar.

The problem I have with the rich high school is that I went to their "middle school" for a year, and made like 1 friend, but most of the kids were total snobs. Even worse, administration was meh and some of the teachers were so stuck up and controlling that it hurt. One teacher would even arrive an hour late to school.

Also, the second high school isn't really that bad. It's not the best, but it's not terrible either. The other one just has a ton of funding and is very elite.

I'd like to break the meta and say don't make this big decisions in your life based on your friends this young.

Yeah, but it's not like I'll have any more time to decide.

Sounds like the second one should be good for you

rich school sounds hella boring. go with the 2nd one.

you'll learn how much high school doesn't actually matter as much as everyone makes it seem pretty quick right after high school, don't throw away the social opportunity.