Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100113 times)

also is there an option for the edges of the map to taper off instead of ending abruptly?
yep, works quite nicely too
Edge falloff has been added! For those who don't know, edge falloff is a feature for finite terrain that forces the edges of the landscape to gradually snap to the ground. It was requested over a year ago - mainly to make island landscapes appear more realistic, but it works with all terrain types, including Skylands.

It also supports clouds and floating islands, which is useful in preventing large openings at the edges of the grid. Once the feature is enabled, all you have to do is set the falloff distance, which will alter the height of bricks that are within that distance from any of the four edges.

thank you so much for making this :D
Download
Definitely including one of those screenshots in the final OP. =D

forgeted around wit this save for a bit, noticed that entire islands are generated inside islands, which might contribute to the huge brick count.

also is there an option for the edges of the map to taper off instead of ending abruptly?
The generator doesn't have the ability to prevent the various features from conflicting; that's up to the user when setting up the landscape options. As gr8dayseth mentioned however, it does have an Edge Falloff option, in which you can choose how far from the grid edge terrain begins to taper off. It also works with other features to close up openings near the grid edge.

Update: All GUI graphics are finished! The main things holding up the final release are a few issues that need to be resolved before launch, and the video tutorials.

I was testing it on a dedicated server and I wasn't able to clear my terrain.
It kept pausing due to dedicated server lag- but the thing is there was no lag.

Also- would it be possible to maybe make the routine settings save when you shut down your server
edit: ok, so the settings DO save- but they don't seem to apply.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:17:57 AM by --LegoPepper-- »

I'll check out the dedicated server lag check issue, thanks. For the mean time, you can try raising the dedicated server lag buffer under Routines, or disable the lag checks altogether, to prevent that from happening.

Also, you can save Routine settings by using the green save button at the top or bottom of the window; it should automatically reload them into the GUI the next time you start the game and open the GUI. Do the settings revert back to default, or is everything just disabled / set to the lowest settings?

The settings do load in exactly like I saved them, but the host would need to apply the settings to make them work.
Could you make it so they're already applied when the server starts?

Oh okay, there's actually a function for that already included. First make sure your Complex GUI settings are set to what you want the new defaults to be. Then, just enter /PTGSetDefault in chat, which will save and move the necessary files for you. That server command won't work on dedicated servers, so you would need to use it on a normal server your hosting, then restart the dedicated server.

You can also use the PTGRmt(); command to change server settings through the external console window when you're not actually present on the server.

awesome! ok
btw- players are able to destroy other player's stuff without their trust.
Sorry if I'm mentioning things one tidbit at a time :P

That's okay =) Better to find these issues now rather than later lol. So players are able to destroy other players' bricks planted on terrain?

hmm, I actually haven't tested it on the terrain itself but players can destroy other player's stuff off of the terrain

can this loving release now?

hmm, I actually haven't tested it on the terrain itself but players can destroy other player's stuff off of the terrain
Oh okay, I'm pretty sure that's due to one of the packages, but I'll look into it.

can this loving release now?
Let him finish it first, eh?
This is basically done, the issue LegoPepper mentioned is that last thing that needs to be fixed.

I'll be hosting my server tonight and possibly tomorrow as well, just to make sure everything is working correctly before launch. I'm hoping to test multi-user support, and the trust issue with player's builds. As soon as that's fixed, I'll set a release window, which so far looks good for sometime next week!

Recent Changes / Fixes:
- Added a separate preview layers for floating islands
 - Fixed left chunk in preview being slightly off when using the radial grid option
 - Fixed mountains in previews when using edge falloff
 - Fixed lag graph resizing when changing the window size or when disabling the lag graph option
 - Fixed biomes in previews
 - Made adjustments to the brick count estimate for previews
 - Fixed chunk grid being slightly off in previews for both grid types
 - If mountains are submerged, previews now switch to the underwater biome color for them
 - Added a script to prevent cave details from generating if the top / btm layers are connected or near the section cut-off
 - Added option to disable lag for dedicated and / or normal servers (dedicated lag check disabled by default)
 - Add failsafe delay when loading bricks from chunk or build saves and when gen speed set to +15%
 - Added Help GUI text for Mass Details List GUI and fixed text for Streams category
 - The issue with Zeblote's duplicator should be fixed
 - Updated overview GUI
 - bricks for caves, the bottom section of skylands, etc. now don't generate if they are underground
 - Finished previews
 - Improved efficiency for calculating iteration c values for terrain and caves (they should now generate much faster!)
 - Made slight changes to the server quota object limit check script (to prevent spamming host when server quotas are exceeded - doesn't seem to work with bots)
 - Made slight changes to boundaries, esp. for infinite terrain
 - Fixed issue that prevented registering spawn bricks as player spawns (also fixed slight issue with bot spawns when used as details, or when loaded from chunk / build saves)
 - Various fixes for build loading (i.e. prevented builds from generating for floating islands if floating by themselves, and made slight fixes to general placement)

posting these here, taken on GSF's server

That does look epic with shaders. =)

Thanks again for joining guys; did anyone get a message about destroying terrain when using the wand? The player with the wand should get the center print message, but for some reason I was the one getting them.

i never get stuff like that, do you have presets for it?