Author Topic: The big word: Religion  (Read 12402 times)

Since I see someone in the future expecting me to come in this thread, I will.

Hai.

God didn't give science. Man made science. God doesn't exist.

If "God" gave us science, why is there evidence of his existance? Why hasn't one who was given this gift been able to find proof of the creator of science?

Think about it. Science has always been here. God only exists in the minds of those who are ignorant enough to believe in such foolishness.

Well, God made everything, he made humans, who call God's creations science and therefore made science. If you are one of those "Big Bang" Folks where did the particles that made the big bang come from and where did the particles that made those particles come from and so on. It makes no sense to not believe in a higher power when you really can't explain why the enviroment is so exact when it comes to human survival. If it were just a few decimal places off, then we would all be dead...

A explosion didn't do this, God did.

A explosion didn't do this, God did.
No, FSM did, and there's lots of proof of it.

The big bang theory is more plausible since it's largely based on scientific facts while Christianity is just based on other religions. I think that religion might provide metaphorical answers to philosophical and more abstract questions but I have little respect for anyone who blindly accepts as a fact that God created the world just because they have been taught to believe so.

When we are close minded, we tend to block out things that we don't believe.
Assuming that I am close minded just because I choose not to believe in an entity that I have never seen that operates outside the laws of nature is kind of arrogant, but please, do tell me about your divine encounters so I can block them out with my narrow mind.

And is it so foolish to believe in a higher meaning of reality?
It's foolish to believe in a higher meaning of reality just for the sake of it.

A final question to the christians here: How do you know that Christianity is the right approach? Other thesistic religions might as well be right, might they not? How can you be sure that the Christian way is the only right way?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:33:17 AM by Linde »

It makes no sense to not believe in a higher power when you really can't explain why the enviroment is so exact when it comes to human survival.
Four billion years of natural selection? There's no way any of us can comprehend that amount of time, and a lot has happened since the beginning of life on earth.

So God is Time?

Whoooaaaa... Now I'm confused.

Alright, like I said this is a tough thing to explain so I needed a while to collect my thoughts before continuing.

These people are stupid, regardless of what their religion is. Their belief, that everyone who they suspect is like John and thus deserves some form of judgment/punishment, is messed up. No, I'm not saying Religion/science/whatever messed them up, that's just another way to throw that weight all over the place. It's just the way that the person was brought up, the collective of all the specific situations that the person has been through that makes him/her that way. When you think about it, religion in these cases is itself a victim, being used by some to promote their will onto others.

I'll pick up where we left off and give you a fine example of how religion is used to fuel wars and feuds. Take, for example, terrorists. They "say" they follow a specific religion, and they "say" that the only way to fulfill their god's will is to kill themselves and as many other innocents as possible. What about the people that follow that very same religion but never get around actually doing that? It's probably because the beliefs of those terrorists are different from the beliefs of those other people, but they still follow the same religion. Terrorists are fine examples of religious Extremists. Being devoted to a religion is not a bad thing, far from it, religion has a host of positive effects on any individual.

But, there's a limit, and that's when you mix your own fabricated beliefs with religion, and then make that your new one-and-only truth. You will believe you are never wrong of course, I mean you just shook hands with an entire religion! You'll keep sowing your own will into that religion until you are ready to go to an extreme to make that will happen, in the name of said religion. This is what an extremist does, and this is how they use religion to promote their own beliefs.

Now you might be wondering by now, what exactly religion is? Whether it's right or wrong? This brings me to an important point as I derail this a bit.
Everyone knows about the balance known as Ying and Yang right? You cannot have only one side of a coin. In other words, EVERYTHING in the universe has a down side, and an up side. Therefore, what of science and religion? Well, Science has the up-side of providing humanity with technology, ease of life, protection against the elements, and new techniques of physical sustenance. The down sides? Higher technology plunges us deeper into a world of stress, delivers the ever growing pressure of change, to a point where humanity may destroy itself. Religion, on the other hand, deals less with the physical and much more with the spiritual. Followers of a religion have a firm ground on which they can stand, reinforce their beliefs, and find a state of peace. But, religion leaves humankind vulnerable, as it does not offer any physical protection, nor does it fulfill humankind's thirst for new knowledge.

I hope you noticed something in the above description of science and religion: They complete themselves. Science offers knowledge of the physical world, while religion offers peace of mind. If one is absent, then we are left with a dangerous gap. Think for a second, without science we would be vulnerable in this harsh world. Without religion we would annihilate ourselves out of despair. I for one, being a man of science, would never want to live in a world without religion. That kind of life condition would simply not be humane anymore.

That being said, what about the truth? Is religion fact or fiction? This is a question that will haunt everyone at some time in their life. I will give you an answer. Religion is neither right nor wrong.
It cannot be right because religion is recounted to man by man himself, and mankind cannot be completely right.
Religion cannot be wrong either, because it is counted to man by man himself, and mankind cannot be completely wrong.
What does science say? Well, science is a fabrication of man, so it suffers the same problem. Science has yet to produce any proof that says "Religion is fake" or "Religion is real". No matter how you look at it, you will not be able to prove religion as right or wrong.

If some of you are still thinking "Well, religion says Adam and Eve blah blah says evolution is a lie when it isn't blah blah", well I'll let you take a look at religion from a different angle. Religion is composed of stories, when you read a story you will imagine it with your own set of colors, dimensions, etc. right? You will do the very same thing with stories of religion. Religion itself is not "exact". It is a metaphor, it expresses many different stories that may mean completely different things from what you might have imagined while reading it. This is both a blessing and a curse, as religion is a wonderful read that teaches anyone limitless moral, but it can also be heavily misinterpreted. I don't remember reading in the bible, word for word "Evolution didn't happen". That estimate is made by those who have failed to interpret the meaning of the bible. It's ironic that some devote their entire lives and go to extremes only to come short of gaining the true value of religion.

I'll let you guys think about this, maybe I should start using colors to make these walls of text seem less bland.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:42:32 PM by Muffinmix »

Somebody make another big post and make it a bel air.

science has been proving god wrong, and proving we don't need a god. one advancement after another.
Many books have been removed from the bible over many 100s of years simply because of physics, medical science, and other advancements proving them wrong.

Didn't the Christian church (and other religions) kill people that said the world wasn't flat? Yes. because god made it flat.
Didn't they kill people for claiming that sickness can be cured and prevented? and its not just a curse from god because we sin? Yes.

Even these days, religions will try to change their creed, so that to keep up with the times, as thats the only way to keep getting money from people.
Even the pope himself will go against the teachings of god and the bible, and what the church stood for, for many years, because science proved them wrong. and its time to play catch up
http://www.bible.ca/tracks/b-pope-accepts-evolution.htm

How did you choose the name "Puzman" after John and Bob?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:10:58 PM by Ephialtes »

XD

The reason I don't have a religion is because of the stupidity and controversy generated by each. Like scientology, which is made of pure WTF power.

Now you might be wondering by now, what exactly religion is? Whether it's right or wrong? This brings me to an important point as I derail this a bit.
Everyone knows about the balance known as Ying and Yang right? You cannot have only one side of a coin. In other words, EVERYTHING in the universe has a down side, and an up side. Therefore, what of science and religion? Well, Science has the up-side of providing humanity with technology, ease of life, protection against the elements, and new techniques of physical sustenance. The down sides? Higher technology plunges us deeper into a world of stress, delivers the ever growing pressure of change, to a point where humanity may destroy itself. Religion, on the other hand, deals less with the physical and much more with the spiritual. Followers of a religion have a firm ground on which they can stand, reinforce their beliefs, and find a state of peace. But, religion leaves humankind vulnerable, as it does not offer any physical protection, nor does it fulfill humankind's thirst for new knowledge.

I hope you noticed something in the above description of science and religion: They complete themselves. Science offers knowledge of the physical world, while religion offers peace of mind. If one is absent, then we are left with a dangerous gap. Think for a second, without science we would be vulnerable in this harsh world. Without religion we would annihilate ourselves out of despair. I for one, being a man of science, would never want to live in a world without religion. That kind of life condition would simply not be humane anymore.
Religion may offer peace of mind, but it's not the only way to achieve that. Personally, I think it's a lot better to achieve inner peace by embracing the world around you, and not by falling back on an imaginary(?), omnipotent being. The same can be said about ethics: do we really need a book to tell us what's right and what's wrong? Should you do the right thing because you fear being sent to hell?

I'll let you guys think about this, maybe I should start using colors to make these walls of text seem less bland.
Add some images too!

How did you choose the name "Puzman" after John and Bob?
One of my friends had the nickname Puzman because he collected something around a room filled with Pez dispensers. When the guys back at the dorm last year learned about that they started messing with him and calling him "The Pez man". One day at a bar someone called him "Puz man" in a drunken slurr before starting to puke madly, and the name just stuck for some reason.