Author Topic: The big word: Religion  (Read 12461 times)

It's about time I wrote something for you guys on this topic, it just took Face's thread with the surreal quotes to get me going (Evoliotion haha). This is a difficult subject to tackle so bare with me.

First off, I am not writing this to attack religion. That's just stupid, attacking someone's beliefs is a tremendous waste of time and effort and never ends well, which brings me to my first point.

Generalization, we all do it. Let me begin by explaining why we do it. The main cause is attributed to the fact that human beings are lazy. I mean come on, if you had a remote control in hand, I'm pretty sure you would simply press a couple buttons to bring you to your new TV channel instead of walking up to the TV and manually changing the channels. But, flipping channels manually might lead to the discovery of something more interesting, or research or something. It's easy to forget the value of work. What does work have to do with generalization you might ask? Well, generalization is simply taking the entirety of a population and putting them in a bin labeled with "Stupid" or "Butts". Generalization never produces truth. You will always have a good amount of odd ducks that simply don't fit in your "Stupid" bin. But, making more bins will require much more thought, what to label those bins and who to put them in, and thus will require more work.

Now then, we will take a handful of people, specifically John, Bob and Puzman. All these people are from the same religion, John specifically is a prick (You know him at work) while Bob and Puzman are cool guys, but you have yet to meet these fine gents. John keeps boasting about his religion and what-not, and finally you make the easy, lazy assumption that everyone that follows John's religion is also a John-like prick without as much as a second thought. Now you meet Bob and Puzman, but they are from the same religion as John. You remember your generalization, which you would naturally not want to be wrong about, and you treat Bob and Puzman as you would John. You basically skip all the work of finding out who they are, if you can trust them, etc. You move directly to a verdict. Congratulation, you just generalized.

My next point is based on the fact that John boasts his religion like some rich bastard shows off his Ferrari. Religion is not the cause of anything. I can tell you this right away, the main cause of stupidity is the person him/herself. Religion is just a reason people will throw around, like a game of catch. There are countless people out there that don't give a damn about what others believe. They go about their lives, going to church, contributing to society, etc. Then you have those that tend to generalize a whole lot, and sure enough they have something against a certain classification of people. If these people happen to be "loud", getting their word across to others and basically ear raping them with it until it's all they can think about, then you have the possibility of something dangerous. You can also have non-religious, or people of a different religion doing the same thing.

These people are stupid, regardless of what their religion is. Their belief, that everyone who they suspect is like John and thus deserves some form of judgment/punishment, is messed up. No, I'm not saying Religion/science/whatever messed them up, that's just another way to throw that weight all over the place. It's just the way that the person was brought up, the collective of all the specific situations that the person has been through that makes him/her that way. When you think about it, religion in these cases is itself a victim, being used by some to promote their will onto others.

Feel free to comment, add your point of view to this. Contributions are welcome, albeit there is a difference between a contribution and an assault.

DRAMA

Wouldn't you technically be generalizing saying everyone generalizes? :cookieMonster:

Wouldn't you technically be generalizing saying everyone generalizes? :cookieMonster:
It's a loop OH SHI-

TL;DR
Too bad, you missed a good read.

Chait's posts vanished mysteriously.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:13:18 PM by Muffinmix »

Wouldn't that technically help solidify his theroy?

I skimmed it.

If religion's the word, how come the thing's about generalization? :/

Religion is a catalyst of conflict. Agreed.

Sigh. What a messed up species we are...

Religion is a catalyst of conflict. Agreed.

Sigh. What a messed up species we are...
I blame Christians. :cookieMonster:

Since this completely pertains to this thread, I will just copy and paste my original thoughts here. I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ, I just see him everywhere, I guess its because I really started to listen. I will tell you a story at the end.

What I posted:

It the kind of Christian that you are being exposed to. There are the Christians that do anything to go to heaven then the ones that actually care. That's me and Trueno.

We don't wish to cram it down your throat, actually we can't. The bible says we can tell you the good news but you do with it what you want, God will poke at your heart, if you don't bite its not our fault. We will feel bad for you yes, but we can't force you, then its not a choice and you didn't make it.

However, I believe so strongly that if I can save someone, I will, it is important for me to share the news because hey, true or false if its true you will be sorry, if its false you will lie in your grave, you don't want to think about it as a safety cushion, but I believe its true, so hey, its your choice.

I think you met Christians that just told you what to believe, This is what happens to most people. Then you label these people as "Christianity" Suddenly all Christians are this whacked and forceful. This is VERY untrue. True Christians (no tm) are people who want to help you, to guide you, and to just poke at your heart, see where your morals are and if you are ready to accept Christ. We don't want to barge in and say accept Jesus or burn in hell. That is not right, it is not you must accept him this second or die. For some people it takes them years, YEARS to find where their heart is, and wonder what is the emptiness here?

Trust me, when you really mature completely (I don't mean loveually, or growth wise, its not age at all, its when you start looking at the bigger picture), you will wonder this. I am 17 but matured, like trueno, very fast to see the world in more of a 3D spectrum not a iD. And in iD i mean ME D. The world holds a lot more than you probably see right now, its not all about Girls and what to wear, how to look, and what to say. Its what created this, how can I join him. Why is the earth such an amazing creation and who could make it.

Something to think about:

If you are walking in a desert, and you see a watch. Do you believe it built itself and placed itself there, or do you believe during one time, there was a watch maker? Just some brain food.

The bang might have happened but who made the particles that made the bang and what made the particles that made the particles that made the bang... It all started somewhere and there is no scientific evidence to proof it "just appeared".

And no, before you ask, I am not one of those I DON'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE people, Science is something God gave us, without God, there would be no science, and no matter what science says, you can always deny the finding about the start of the world, and the start of life.

One of the biggest fears of the world is the fear of the unknown. I use to be terrified, but for real, this is no hogwash, I no longer fear the unknown, because I know God put it there, so what is unknown about it, if i know its creator?

A lot of people will quickly turn from Religion because they are exposed to, terrorists, extremists.. etc.. But, Don't just blow this off. This is a big decision, not just because you could go to hell, but mostly because you could believe in something, belief is one of the most powerful human things on this earth. It is a power of faith that you would stand in front of a blasting storm to defend, to love, and to learn about. Faith drives Religion not the other way around. If you say your Christian, Jewish, Muslim.. you have the faith to believe not the religion to believe.

So if you want to really find something that you can believe in, live in, and thrive in, Find someone that is always there, that will help you at the blink of an eye. Sometimes people don't stop and wonder how the little things came to be, but if you just stop and think and think and think, you will realize pretty quickly that these things didn't just happen with a big boom... It was a lot more than that.

God didn't give science. Man made science. God doesn't exist.

If "God" gave us science, why is there evidence of his existance? Why hasn't one who was given this gift been able to find proof of the creator of science?

Think about it. Science has always been here. God only exists in the minds of those who are ignorant enough to believe in such foolishness.

Then tell me...

God didn't give science. Man made science. God doesn't exist.

If "God" gave us science, why is there evidence of his existance? Why hasn't one who was given this gift been able to find proof of the creator of science?

Think about it. Science has always been here. God only exists in the minds of those who are ignorant enough to believe in such foolishness.
Being a Christian myself, I have wondered about this question, but now I have an answer. Evidence of God hasn't been found because God doesn't want to be proven though science. He only wants people to choose to believe in him through pure faith alone. If you believe in him without doubt, then you will see proof of his existance. When we are close minded, we tend to block out things that we don't believe. I myself have seen a couple of things that can't be explained, but only after I began to believe. And is it so foolish to believe in a higher meaning of reality? I say that the foolish ones are the people who are too ignorant to have an open mind.

jeesus can turn water into funk!