Author Topic: The big word: Religion  (Read 12458 times)

My beliefs are very simple: when I die the energy in me, my soul if you will, will leave my body. I will then enter an infinite lucid dream. That's the best any kind of heaven gets.

I must say... that is very appealing...

Fighting against religion is like playing pretend. They'll make up any reason/rule so that they will win.

In other words, it's pointless.

Well, I have heard great words here. I am very impressed with alot of the Christians on this forum. I didn't think there really were that many, I guess on that part I was proven wrong.

I would agree though that arguing against science and religion is pointless, but that is only because everyone has made up their mind and will stick with what they believe.

and bisjac, Even if i were to believe that it is me making a difference, God created me and is inside me, So if God created me and I do something good myself then inadvertly I am acting because God made me for good. so either way you put it, it still all goes back to God. I don't know how old you are but, a time will come where your science will not be able to explain something and you will have no where to turn to understand it.

a time will come where your science will not be able to explain something
I'm not trying to shoot you down, I don't want to be part of this religion fight. But what I mean to say is: Religion also has its "something"s it cannot explain.

Ehh, not really... its all faith so there can be some nonunderstanding in the religion, but we will find out soon enough when we die.

thats a pretty sad existence. waiting to die just to understand things.

while science learns new things every day out of effort

while science learns new things every day out of effort

Well, some religious people quicken their gaining of knowledge with effort.....

Mohammed Jihad?

Science is just opinions that we accept as fact because it makes sense. Most of science is just best guess, until we are given a new opinion about a situation that makes more sense. We used to believe that the world was flat, that Earth was the center of the universe, etc. And at that time, it made sense. Some things in terms of science don't even make sense, and yet we still choose to believe it. Diosadentro and Rkynick are right about this debate being pointless. I find it funny that the points I have made are being avoided now. No matter how good of a point you make, people who are close minded and are raised in a different culture will continue to believe what they want.

Science is just opinions that we accept as fact because it makes sense. Most of science is just best guess

that is the dumbest thing i have heard in a while...
you really have no idea what science is do you. or is this what your priest teaches you?

Science is just opinions that we accept as fact because it makes sense. Most of science is just best guess
you really have no idea what science is do you. or is this what your priest teaches you?
Not really. That was basically the first sentence in my Chemistry book last year.

Science is just opinions that we accept as fact because it makes sense. Most of science is just best guess, until we are given a new opinion about a situation that makes more sense. We used to believe that the world was flat, that Earth was the center of the universe, etc. And at that time, it made sense. Some things in terms of science don't even make sense, and yet we still choose to believe it. Diosadentro and Rkynick are right about this debate being pointless. I find it funny that the points I have made are being avoided now. No matter how good of a point you make, people who are close minded and are raised in a different culture will continue to believe what they want.

People believed it because it was unknown, and not proven. Now, the Earth has been proven to be spherical, so we believe it. That's not a guess, that's a fact. The world isn't going to suddenly be revealed as a box and then scientists will say "Oops, we guessed wrong.".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:35:11 PM by Pimpin »

My beliefs are very simple: when I die the energy in me, my soul if you will, will leave my body. I will then enter an infinite lucid dream. That's the best any kind of heaven gets.

I must say... that is very appealing...
Imagen flying through a moving tunnel that looks like that :cookieMonster:
The fun it must be.

Well, God made everything, he made humans, who call God's creations science and therefore made science. If you are one of those "Big Bang" Folks where did the particles that made the big bang come from and where did the particles that made those particles come from and so on. It makes no sense to not believe in a higher power when you really can't explain why the enviroment is so exact when it comes to human survival. If it were just a few decimal places off, then we would all be dead...

A explosion didn't do this, God did.
If God made those particles and everything else, what created him? To me, those particles were always there and always have been. Just as your god has. The world is a mixed society of religions. This is why I hate talking to Christians about religion, they start implying that everything in their faith is correct. Well, it's not. Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, whatever. They could be just as correct as any other religion.

As far as I know, Athiest (though not a religion, but a belief) has had the most evidence proving their theory. One book isn't going to help anything, especially after it's been rewritting several times by multiple people.

Also, it makes perfect sense to not believe in a higher figure. To me, religious people seem to be insecure about their lifetime, so they look for a higher being and a sanctuary of afterlife to feel safe for their life. If you want to continue this arguement, be my guest.

Religion, to me, is just a set of guidelines and a higher power to look up to. I don't particularly believe in it, but, without religion, I'd think the world would be pretty chaotic.

What do you mean by without?

Like, it stopped right now? or it was never thought of?