Author Topic: 14 year-old makes home-made clock, arrested for 'bringing a bomb to school'  (Read 26066 times)

it's this toxic idea that we need to offer special priviledges and positions to people who might have a disadvantage, rather than actually removing the disadvantage
yeah we should just magically make people not tribal!! that'll work

companies are supporting him to improve their public image? it's the same reason they do pretty much all charity
I'm sure that's part of it, but I don't think that's their entire motivation.

it's this toxic idea that we need to offer special priviledges and positions to people who might have a disadvantage, rather than actually removing the disadvantage. it's like how a lot of colleges offer scholarships that are exclusively geared towards women or minorities. obviously this does not apply to physical or mental impairments like being blind or austistic.
And how do you think companies and the community can remove the disadvantage in this situation? By ignoring this incident? Allowing the school and police to punish the kid? Tell me how you think this would be best handled

it's this toxic idea that we need to offer special priviledges and positions to people who might have a disadvantage, rather than actually removing the disadvantage.
So, the problem here is that we have large swathes of people trapped in cycles of disadvantage and failure, and giving some people the opportunity to raise themselves above those cycles isn't a valid solution?

What's the other alternative for issues like this?

Pic related:

it's this toxic idea that we need to offer special priviledges and positions to people who might have a disadvantage, rather than actually removing the disadvantage.

How is it toxic that this kid is being given an opportunity to develop and hone his interests? Regardless of the intentions behind the people making the offer, the kid's still probably going to get benefits from this.

This is pretty much the dumbest thing I've read all day. It seems as if the only reason you're complaining is because there's really nothing to complain about and you want to complain about something.

seriously? what? what evidence is there for this?
Circumstantial evidence.

The fact the media outlets like fox like to paint muslims as evil potential bombers who want to spread shariah law and the fact the majority of bigots and paranoid people live in southern states live in Texas. You also have the whole youtube being more apart of real life and how anything can go viral. There are lots of prank videos out with a ton of views after all. You got people on twitch calling swat teams on themselves for views, I'm sure the same applies here. There are also bomb pranks as listed below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Al6HRCm530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKH9V54WHJs

Minority kid living in an area known for paranoia and bigotry with the existence of a social stigma against muslims, plus the stereotype that muslims are all violent bombers, students with cameras everywhere, plus he brought a clock device with him to school in a metallic suitcase like the ones terrorists use in movies. Sounds like the perfect recipe to get a few minutes of fame. However, He probably didn't foresee getting arrested, nor did he expect to go meet Obama and everyone else. He probably expected for the teacher to freak out, then realize that it was just a clock, everyone has their laugh, and everything goes back to normal.

Heck we don't know much about this kid other than he is 14, goes to school in Texas, Arabic, and has a Muslim family and has enough knowledge to construct a clock that counts up and beeps. Is he one the edgy kids that causes stuff in class? Is he one the quiet kids that doesn't talk much, but gets good grades? So far, no one in this thread really knows him or what he is like. Heck a line from the police like this
"Yup. That's who I thought it was."'
Could also imply that he has done stuff before that required police response, there is probably some history we don't even know off.

All we know is what the he has said on the news and what the news articles and reports have told us.

It also true the police forgeted up big time. For example denying his parents presence which is guaranteed by law since he is a juvenile. Plus according to the Mohammed, the principal tried forcing him to make a statement.

The detention was legal since he is considered a suspect and the police want to make sense of the situation. A suspect is defined as a person who may or may not have committed a crime. There is nothing wrong with taking him down to the station, asking him for his side the story, what happened, what he did, and why he did it. Also detention is not a arrest since it is temporary and it is only conducted to ask questions. You aren't free to go in a detention until you are cleared to leave or arrest can be made.

police side of the story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn2JtbA7enY
listen, compare stories, then judge

when all else fails, blame the victim lol

when all else fails, blame the victim lol
when all else fails, plug your ears and yell stuff

a clock that counts up

no loving way, I'm gonna need proof on this one I don't believe this for one second

He probably expected for the teacher to freak out,

or maybe he BROUGHT THE CLOCK TO ENGINEERING CLASS

HMM i wonder the intentions behind that
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:11:08 PM by IkeTheGeneric »

when all else fails, plug your ears and yell stuff
who's yelling?

youtube commenters and fox news viewers

those are the two worst demographics to base the general reaction of something off of

no loving way, I'm gonna need proof on this one I don't believe this for one second
Proof that the clock counts up instead of down? You said that yourself
how can be a bomb if it counts up
is this not what you said?

BROUGHT THE CLOCK TO ENGINEERING CLASS
Did he stop by the teacher first thing? Does stuff school have lockers for students to store their belongings for the day? Could he leave it in his engineering teachers class?

If not, then what happened was a massive inconvenience.

If it was a massive inconvenience, then we must ask our selves why the school wasn't evacuated. Why wasn't the bomb squad sent in to investigate? Were they banking on the whole thing be a hoax from the start or they just the most idiotic department that they don't know how to EOD?

If the school wants to punish him then for what reason and what do they expect to gain from this incident? What's the motive.

tribal school fueled by bigotry is a pretty viable case, but how can we prove it. Because you can't really gain much by having an innocent life go to juvy unless you had a really damn good reason. The stigma and ignorance is there, but nothing to form a true motive. Is it pride? Integrity? Do they just hate this kid for being what he is?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:32:05 PM by Harm94 »

If it was a massive inconvenience, then we must ask our selves why the school wasn't evacuated. Why wasn't the bomb squad sent in to investigate? Were they banking on the whole thing be a hoax from the start or they just the most idiotic department that they don't know how to EOD?

Everyone involved was just incredibly handicapped is the conclusion I'm going with.

The school is now in a lose lose situation. Either they believed a bomb was in the school and did not enact proper safety measures at all. Or the accusation was not based in reality, they knew it was a clock, and were intentionally targeting the student.