How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29434 times)

So for the people who can't support shaders they have a significant advantage over those who can. People without shaders can see in the dark better.  The timescale could be set to day time but since my castle is very enclosed the shaders will make the inside incredibly dark but without shaders it's as bright as ever.

How can we just make specific areas dark without requiring shadows? There was once a light brick which was actual negative light and it made specific areas darker than others, I'm sure we can reintroduce something similar to that.

Not really, but I'm not sure if there is a way to detect it either.

the negative light bricks still actually work

and heres the better part

they dont work for people with sharers on, so if you put those in a room, anyone with at least minimum shaders on wont see them and anyone without shaders will be effected by the negative light

the negative light bricks still actually work

and heres the better part

they dont work for people with sharers on, so if you put those in a room, anyone with at least minimum shaders on wont see them and anyone without shaders will be effected by the negative light

That's great news. I wish there was a better way though.

Lighting isn't the only issue either.

People can turn shaders off to see brick textures, faces, and decals, regardless of how dark it is.

Lighting isn't the only issue either.

People can turn shaders off to see brick textures, faces, and decals, regardless of how dark it is.

I already fixed that with anti-glow textures. I also have anti-glow studs. As for default faces, decals and prints I can't fix that unless Badspot agrees to make them all anti-glow.

Anti-glow modter.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=250664.0

This thread is spot on, my own problems.

The shader "off" option needs to just be taken out

The shader "off" option needs to just be taken out
While this would make using darkness much more viable of a gameplay concept in Blockland, I don't think it's worth the number of people we'd lose to that.
Either from the people who would be unable to run it, the people who would have poorer performance with it, or the people who outright do not like it.

the number of people we'd lose to that.

Pretty much noone. Everyone can run minimum.

Yeah but a number of people have voiced that they 'have performance issues' with it, or outright do not like how it looks.

It would be great if an admin option could be added to force minimum shaders. I like turning shaders off for building, but normally the option makes things more ugly or game-breaking.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:30:37 PM by Wesley Williams »

But not everyone likes shaders. Why should we force it on people who don't like the look of them?

Well I can run minimum but it still lags a lot more than if I don't use it at all.

Yeah but a number of people have voiced that they 'have performance issues' with it, or outright do not like how it looks.
this
on my old comp it didn't even work so it didn't matter. and on that i lagged at 20k bricks

although yes, with any decent modern computer you shouldn't have issues, not everyone is tech-savvy enough or wants to pick a good computer based around how well it would perform when running blockland. and then there are the preteens/teens who don't have the $$ or the freedom to choose what computers they can use.