Rpg Discussion - Discuss RPGs!

Poll

Should I turn this into a RPG discussion thread?

Yes
7 (70%)
No
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Rpg Discussion - Discuss RPGs!  (Read 5005 times)

Does Dwarf Fortress count?

Hell yes it does

best game literally ever made

pokemon isn't really a roleplaying game tho
But they are though. You play the role of a Pokemon trainer on a journey to beat the champ, stop the evil group from doing evil, and catch all of the Pokemon.

It's no different than a group of heroes going on a journey to stop the big evil that's attacking the land, except the equipment and leveling stats up is replaced with capturing monsters and leveling up their stats.

1.) Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas
2.) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (more of a linear rpg but it's amazing and counts)
3.) Deus Ex

yes it is
it even has most of the traditional rpg elements like turn-based combat, party system, leveling, etc.

most of my favorites are pretty vanilla, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Pokémon, Terraria, stuff like that

I'd like to find some other lesser-known ones but I can never seem to get into any of them, so many are so slow to start so I always lose interest a couple hours in

dude what

you explore a fantasy world, build a party, get into battles, fight bosses, level up, and save the world

that's like the exact formula for an RPG

do you even know what an RPG is?

The first two paper mario games and the 1st and 3rd mario&luigi games are the only RPGs I like

any mario RPG except paper mario sticker star & color splash

well they're not really RPGs anyways

But they are though. You play the role of a Pokemon trainer on a journey to beat the champ, stop the evil group from doing evil, and catch all of the Pokemon.

It's no different than a group of heroes going on a journey to stop the big evil that's attacking the land, except the equipment and leveling stats up is replaced with capturing monsters and leveling up their stats.
yes it is
it even has most of the traditional rpg elements like turn-based combat, party system, leveling, etc.
dude what

you explore a fantasy world, build a party, get into battles, fight bosses, level up, and save the world

that's like the exact formula for an RPG
I'm not saying it doesn't have rpg elements but it's more of a strategy game with how you have to account for types/moves/and match ups with some virtual pet stuff thrown in.
then again this will devolve into a no true scotsman type of argument so my point rests here.
do you even know what an RPG is?
Yeah a rocket propelled grenade duh.

mario & luigi games
paper mario+TTYD
skyrim/oblivion/fo3/nv/bethesda rpgs i guess idk
runescape is p cool
souls games !!

I'm not saying it doesn't have rpg elements but it's more of a strategy game with how you have to account for types/moves/and match ups with some virtual pet stuff thrown in.
then again this will devolve into a no true scotsman type of argument so my point rests here.

There's no "no true scotsman" argument here because it is, by definition, an RPG. It's listed everywhere as an RPG. Wikipedia lists it as an RPG. Countless forum threads full of people call it an RPG. The official website itself lists the genre for every main series game as RPG. There's no top-down world view, no units to control. If it quacks like a duck...

Saying it's a strategy game just because it has type advantages that make you pick the best attack for the job is the same as saying Golden Sun or Final Fantasy aren't RPGs because certain magic deals more damage against specific monsters.

Right.
Almost every game has some sort of strategy element to it. Doesn't make it part of the strategy genre.