Author Topic: Blockland Glass Hosting Service [Closing]  (Read 55953 times)

Looks like the register button got lost in the redesign, I've added it back. Will look in to supporting gamemodes in the launch arguments.

Planning on getting a server for my ski the mountain! when its done

Had some minor updates to provide better security and increased server redundancy.

Planning on getting a server for my ski the mountain! when its done
The only thing I'd advise against is skis + modter. Something about the two of those colliding causes huge lag, I've been told.

Had some minor updates to provide better security and increased server redundancy.
The only thing I'd advise against is skis + modter. Something about the two of those colliding causes huge lag, I've been told.

skis and staticshapes, not skis and modter.

Ever gonna use paypal as a payment option?

Planned downtime starting at 7pm EST (20 minutes from now) for a server upgrade. We've outgrown our current server and will be doubling its capacity.

edit: Done as of 8pm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:54:57 PM by Scout31 »

My server has been running for 68 days. I should do something with it eventually.
The sim time has gone negative again, and I still haven't done anything with this.

But I do have a fresh idea I might try to do.

some way to be able to enable and disable addons through the manager would be really really nice

I finally heard from the server provider 8 hours after the issue started. Not in the form of a response to my support ticket, but instead just a mass automated email. There was a hardware issue with the VPS's hypervisor and our server was scheduled for migration 15 minutes ago, but yet still hasn't started the process.

If it's not clear, I'm very upset with the hosting provider. The entire service and subsequently the Glass Hosting business rely on their service to provide reliability, and having such a crippling issue occur for multiple servers going unnoticed for 8 hours from a company of this scale is ridiculous. On top of that, 5 hours of radio silence from their support team who could have likely resolved the issue with just a few mouse clicks.

I apologize for any inconvenience and will do my best to compensate to Glass Hosting clients after the service is restored.

Note that servers themselves were not impacted, just the website and control panel.

Note that servers themselves were not impacted, just the website and control panel.
You're using Linode, right? Usually they're very good at mitigating downtime, however issues like these can still occur. If you want 24/7 uptime, with guarantees that there will be no downtime from hardware failure, try AWS.

You're using Linode, right? Usually they're very good at mitigating downtime, however issues like these can still occur. If you want 24/7 uptime, with guarantees that there will be no downtime from hardware failure, try AWS.
The blockland servers use Linode while the main glass server uses DigitalOcean. Linode responds very well with nearly instant detection of (admittedly common) hardware failures and a resolution within an hour. The fact that DigitalOcean took 8 hours to even recognize the blatant issue is upsetting. I have been considering moving to AWS or looking in to Google Cloud but I haven't looked in to the finances of that.

I don't get why anyone would want to use digitalocean when linode offers better hardware and support, at a lower price.

The blockland servers use Linode while the main glass server uses DigitalOcean. Linode responds very well with nearly instant detection of (admittedly common) hardware failures and a resolution within an hour. The fact that DigitalOcean took 8 hours to even recognize the blatant issue is upsetting. I have been considering moving to AWS or looking in to Google Cloud but I haven't looked in to the finances of that.
Hm. AWS pricing, might want to look into setting up auto-scaling as well.