SpeedKart Hover
SpeedKart Original
SpeedKart Default
SuperKart
SuperKart ATV
SuperKart Hover
SuperKart Jetski
SuperKart Plane

Author Topic: FASTKarts v10  (Read 59180 times)

That's understandable, but please know that the superkarts are balanced with the speedkart's rebalancing to play nicely.
It's not about balacing, it's about utility, the superkart vehicles are supposed to be on their specific tracks, I would rather do a new speedkart pack with new models than this.

This really has to be one of the best speedkart edits out there.

I love every little detail put into it, from the little novelties in your inventory, to the way that all the karts handle and the camera angle provided. It really gets me into that Blockland feeling all over again, which is really good.

The only quirk I have to say is that some of the cars, such as the muscle, are wobbly after taking some corners. Also that Custom Vehicle Support was removed off the SuperKarts.

Other than that: Very. Well. Done.

It's not about balacing, it's about utility, the superkart vehicles are supposed to be on their specific tracks, I would rather do a new speedkart pack with new models than this.
;/ Alright, sorry that you feel that way but I understand your concerns.

This gets me thinking - there are probably other people out there who do not want the superkarts in this as well, so I might add a pref for server hosts to hide them if they want. Probably could have two in fact, one to hide the "silly" or "unfitting" ones, like the plane and jetski, and one to hide them all.

By the way, the plane does not fly and the superhover/speedkart hover II is not anti-grav.

Custom Vehicle Support was removed off the SuperKarts.
This was an intentional change to avoid clients needing to download client mods to do things and to simplify things in general. Very happy you like this though, and every piece of criticism helps a lot.

By the way, the plane does not fly and the superhover/speedkart hover II is not anti-grav.
I was testing this last night when I first saw the gamemode and panicked at first when I saw these karts. This also is a hilarious touch. Easy way to prevent the existence of cheaters.

there should be a help menu that lists all the vehicles and their stats differing from one another

cus at the moment most of them don't seem all that different at least in singleplayer

You should add back how the blockhead could lean up and down a bit while tilting the kart, without it, it's hard to tell it you're leaning the kart forward or back.

Also that 3rd person camera angle is way above the kart, it's kinda awkward.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:59:03 PM by Filipe »

I've released v3:

- Every icon of siba's modter bricks have been compressed, saving 102KBs.

- Having enough votes to change the track to the next round should now actually work.

- Fixed no track being loaded on first startup hopefully.

- Default vehicles now have no ui names, hopefully this wont break everything.

- Superkart speedkarts can now be hidden with a command, however this requires a restart.

- Added config.txt support from DeathMatch, currently has only one setting: startingLap.
It defaults to 1 and is meant to be set to 0 for lapped tracks where the winRace zone is placed right after the start, like in Origin.

- Did a few changes to how laps work internally.

- Tracks with a single lap do not show the "completed lap 1/1" message.

- Laps indicator now does not show up in the hud if the player has 0 laps.

- Players now start with 0 laps, which changes to startingLap once the race begins.

- Added link to BLF release topic in a tip.

- Added siba's modter bricks to credits with a link.

- New chat message for when the race starts, it is delayed if startingLap is set to 0 and the player "completes" the 0th lap.

- Origin is now 2 laps and starts on lap 0.

- Descriptions have been added to Cavern Cross, Red Raceway, and Volcano.

- Megaguy has been added to Green Hill's credits.

- Rounds are removed from the bottom print if track rotation is off.

- The flip command now applies half as much force.
This is to help players be more precise in landing, this is especially useful in Origin with its launch pads.

- Origin's launch pads have less force.

- Nostalgic Highway and Archipelago have been ported from SuperKart to FASTKarts.

- Fixed siba modter's brick icons.

You should add back how the blockhead could lean up and down a bit while tilting the kart, without it, it's hard to tell it you're leaning the kart forward or back.
I'll look into adding this to v4, along with unique engine sounds. Hopefully it wont be difficult. :)

Also that 3rd person camera angle is way above the kart, it's kinda awkward.
That's intentional, to give players a much bigger/wider view and to help players see what is in front of them. The original speedkart's camera was set way too close to your back and made it hard to see sometimes.

v3 is lookng pretty good so far, gj

However, this could be badly abused in lapped tracks, so I'm not sure if I really should go through with this.
How so?

How so?

There are probably areas where players could just jump at the zones repeatedly, competing two laps within seconds. This is a kart race, not a foot race, so losing your kart should probably be considered losing in my opinion. I could hackily make the vehicle enter zone event also work for players, but I wouldn't recommend it and I would lock it behind a pref that's disabled by default.

rocket rounds are so chaotic and fun

There's a little bug I found: you can only shoot your rockets straight while driving the Hyperion. This isn't an issue with any other vehicle to my knowledge.

There's a little bug I found: you can only shoot your rockets straight while driving the Hyperion. This isn't an issue with any other vehicle to my knowledge.
That's strange. Shooting from the karts is pretty weird in general, sometimes rockets shot straight for me no matter what kart I picked. I'll still look into it though just incase I find something wrong with the karts.

I may be taking a break soon from hosting as trying to keep a dedicated server up on my pc has been restricting me from doing more resource intensive things (as i dont want the server to lag badly). It'll also give others the chance to host this and get players.

I might be able to obtain a secondary pc soon which will be used to host more servers more frequently. We'll see what happens.

Also, some planned additions for v4 will be to see if I can make it possible to disable horns and engine sounds with a pref, for hosts who do not want that. I'll also see if I can add unique engine sounds, and perhaps have the player able to lean forward/backward in the karts, which hopefully would be possible to disable with a pref. A /karts command for displaying kart stats to players is also a thing I want to do.

I would love some ideas on how to make modter less laggy.

Also, how would you guys feel about me changing the names of these karts:
Speedkart Hover II >> Speedkart Gravity
Speedkart II >> Speedkart Super
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:05:25 AM by Crispy_ »

There are probably areas where players could just jump at the zones repeatedly, competing two laps within seconds. This is a kart race, not a foot race, so losing your kart should probably be considered losing in my opinion. I could hackily make the vehicle enter zone event also work for players, but I wouldn't recommend it and I would lock it behind a pref that's disabled by default.
Ohhhhh boy, believe me, that is the absolute least of your worries.

That's right. To complete two laps:
Terror Mansion: 10 seconds.
Rock Canyon: 28 seconds.
Origin: 8 seconds.
Nostalgia Highway: 34 seconds.
Frostfjall: 15 seconds. (12 seconds is the current record.)
Bingo Hills: 12 seconds.
Archipelago: 24 seconds.

I'd also strongly suggest that you add in at least one decimal place to timing in case people want to compete for times.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:15:02 PM by Ipquarx »

Ohhhhh boy, believe me, that is the absolute least of your worries.

Well damn, that sucks. I'll have to see if I can fix those exploits without adding a checkpoint system. Bummer.

I'd also strongly suggest that you add in at least one decimal place to timing in case people want to compete for times.
I'll probably add that in preparation of a leaderboard system of some kind.