Author Topic: my parents bought me a book and I am insulted  (Read 13163 times)

what if your parents gave you a book titled "15 ways to stop your leg from shaking & live a better life." would you instantly feel insulted because they bought a book pertaining to an issue you have or would you be grateful that they care enough to help you address the issue

shaking a leg is not an issue though

that's the point here

you're interpreting this in a completely different way that shaking a leg IS an issue and the parents are suggesting you to stop.

the book sounds more like common and important life tips for down the road with the syndrome topic sprinkled through it. it's not like the book is comparing OP to a house plant

you're (intentionally) trivializing it. your leg shaking is not a life altering disorder, and not one that nearly everyone you meet will think is something wrong with you

the problem is not just that his parents bought him a condescending book, but that his parents think he needs fixing
if OP doesn't need fixing, he just doesn't have to read the book. the book isn't even directly about aspergers, hell, I'd buy the book just because of the useful advice. it can apply to anyone

if OP doesn't need fixing, he just doesn't have to read the book. the book isn't even directly about aspergers
once again, it's not about the book. it's about his parents' decision to buy it for him. choosing not to read it doesn't help
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:11:55 PM by Foxscotch »

once again, it's not about the book. it's about his parents's decision to buy it for him. choosing not to read it doesn't help
their reasoning behind buying it probably isn't because they want to change their son.

Op is irritated that however misguided his parents might be they actually give a damn about him. Thats more than a lot of people can ask.

the fact of the matter is that his parents paid money (even if it's a dollar) for the book. would they buy it if it weren't in their best motive? it was an act of kindness however you look at it

shaking a leg is not an issue though

that's the point here

you're interpreting this in a completely different way that shaking a leg IS an issue and the parents are suggesting you to stop.
You don't get what i'm saying. If you have an issue, whether it be brain damage to a leg shaking issue to a personality disorder, and you received a book called "THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU SOLVE THE ISSUE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE" how could you even conceivably consider the person who bought it for you insensitive? how could you even get loving insulted when someone cares enough to help solve your loving problems?

You don't get what i'm saying. If you have an issue, whether it be brain damage to a leg shaking issue to a personality disorder, and you received a book called "THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU SOLVE THE ISSUE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE" how could you even conceivably consider the person who bought it for you insensitive? how could you even get loving insulted when someone cares enough to help solve your loving problems?
if this was about something you could actually relate to, like living with the enslavement of your ancestors or something, I'm sure you'd have a very different opinion

One of the key things that i'm noticing now and that's really showing is that you're both getting a little offended over a kind gesture, which i guess is a telltale sign of aspergers in this case.

Life isn't a cakewalk; there are things in life that some people lack called executive function, which is a telltale sign of aspergers. Based on the title, the book probably goes over a lot of important executive functions that are vital to learn if you actually want to survive in the real world without the shelter of parents. We have to do our taxes every month, and yeah it sucks, but none of us are saying 'this is insulting, you making me change my ways in order to conform to you!' because that's loving stupid. The book will probably go over things that you NEED to learn or else you'll end up homeless and broken, and if you choose to be offended by it and completely rub it in your parents face, it's you who will take the L.

On top of that, your parents went out of their way to buy something. It doesn't matter what it is or how offended you feel, they still did something in an act of kindness. When people do something with good intentions, you should at least acknowledge that and not be so upset.
What the forget are you even on about? Giving a child with aspergers a book written by know-it-all psychologist is going to do absol-loving-utely do nothing to help.  Think about this: if you give a depressed child/adult/manchild a book that says "Stop being depressed", do you think they're going to appreciate it? The answer: hell no. Instead of relying on a book to teach your kid how to do everything, maybe you should be a better parent and teach them? Maybe you should be a better parent and take them to proper psychologists..? I 'm not going to be appreciative of my parents if they gave me a book that told me that I have assburgers, and how this forgettard thinks he's figured out the solution to making children with a mental disability survive in the real world.

Also, you haven't read the book so you should really shut the forget up.

What the forget are you even on about? Giving a child with aspergers a book written by know-it-all psychologist is going to do absol-loving-utely do nothing to help.  Think about this: if you give a depressed child/adult/manchild a book that says "Stop being depressed", do you think they're going to appreciate it? The answer: hell no. Instead of relying on a book to teach your kid how to do everything, maybe you should be a better parent and teach them? Maybe you should be a better parent and take them to proper psychologists..? I 'm not going to be appreciative of my parents if they gave me a book that told me that I have assburgers, and how this forgettard thinks he's figured out the solution to making children with a mental disability survive in the real world.

you sound a little offended, might want to calm down.

Giving a child with aspergers a book written by know-it-all psychologist is going to do absol-loving-utely do nothing to help.
(actually, the author is not a psychologist and has indeed lived his whole life with aspergers syndrome)

metario are you handicapped?

if this was about something you could actually relate to, like living with the enslavement of your ancestors or something, I'm sure you'd have a very different opinion
If I received a book titled "how to solve or cope with x specific issues" i would certainly be happy because now i could figure out a way to solve issues. Unlike enslavement of my ancestors, aspergers is a condition that you can cope with and actually correct through things like OT, executive functioning classes and other stuff like that.

What the forget are you even on about? Giving a child with aspergers a book written by know-it-all psychologist is going to do absol-loving-utely do nothing to help.  Think about this: if you give a depressed child/adult/manchild a book that says "How to Stop being depressed", do you think they're going to appreciate it? The answer: hell no. Instead of relying on a book to teach your kid how to do everything, maybe you should be a better parent and teach them? Maybe you should be a better parent and take them to proper psychologists..? I 'm not going to be appreciative of my parents if they gave me a book that told me that I have assburgers, and how this forgettard thinks he's figured out the solution to making children with a mental disability survive in the real world.

one edit and your post unravels. also you're literally handicapped and now i know to take every single post you make from here on out with a grain of salt

(actually, the author is not a psychologist and has indeed lived his whole life with aspergers syndrome)
oops should've done more research
still i don't think that things that worked for him can be applied to everybody else lmao

All this salt from aspies who want to pretend what they have isn't a disorder is painful to read through