my parents bought me a book and I am insulted

Author Topic: my parents bought me a book and I am insulted  (Read 13167 times)

don't blow it off metario, that post was gold medal handicap status. you tried to prove a point but have no idea what you were talking about, maybe you should read Getting a Life with Asperger's: Lessons Learned on the Bumpy Road to Adulthood

Is it bad that I laughed after clicking the link
i wasnt surprised lmao

this thread became a mess now lol

Is it bad that I laughed after clicking the link
i did the same

aspy here.
I'd be cool with receiving this book (i'd still throw it onto my bookcase and forget about it though) because as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with getting a gift meant to make your life easier.

op why are you throwing such a fit because your mom cares about you ?????
she was trying to do something considerate and you got so bent out of shape you had to blog about it on a lego forum?

If the book doesn't work for you and the thought of expanding your perspective of your own issue terrifies you then just don't read it lol

Plus, being told that you need to change who you are in order to accomplish anything is the most insulting thing I could possibly imagine.

Yikes. I'd feel sorry for your therapist. Not everyone is capable of accomplishing everything, we all have room for improvement, and there may very well be a need to 'change who you are' in order to reach a higher potential.

If you can't understand why this is at least a moderately insulting gesture, regardless of who you receive it from, then you don't have any right to be commenting on how someone with Asperger's Syndrome feels about something.

Is this a direct result of the syndrome or something? If my parents gave me a job called "Getting a Life with Social Anxiety", I'd probably appreciate the fact that my parents are legitimately concerned about my mental health and are actively searching for advice to give me. I probably wouldn't take it as a "forget you" because my parents have raised me under their roof on their dime for almost two decades and have expected nothing in return. Much less if I was mentally handicapped at that.

If you ask me I reckon OP should feel lucky that he even has parents that give a stuff about him considering a sizable amount of children don't.

a book called "THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU SOLVE THE ISSUE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE"
Except it's titled "Get a life."

Is this seriously the problem?

it's a play on words, it's clearly not meant to be mean
stop taking everything so literally

The meaning of "Getting a Life", in the context of the title, most likely refers to having a successful career, a good group of friends, etc. All of which can be more challenging for a person with autism than they are for a person without autism.

stop taking everything so literally
Guess what a trait of this book's target audience tends to be?

do you have aspergers?

are you outing yourself