Author Topic: my parents bought me a book and I am insulted  (Read 13156 times)

I don't WANT to go to a prestigious one, I don't want people to look at the degree I earn, I want to learn things and apply that and have people look at the RESULT of the learning and not WHERE I learned it.

Hey, that's the spirit.  I got a degree from a dirt cheap college and already got a 100k a year job because I LEARNED applicable skills in a demanding field.
It all comes down to learning SKILLS in DEMAND. 

The last thing you want is to worry yourself with prestigious colleges and FLUFF majors.
You are on the right track brother.

i can see how this can be depressing to receive as it literally confirms that your parents think you have a disorder. i hate it being brought up that i might have a legitimate addiction to games, but i dont think the person whos telling me that is insensitive, rather just feel like a legitimate piece of crap afterwards

its not an insensitive gesture in the sense that the parents dont care about what the child feels, but rather is insensitive in the sense of how much it can hurt being told that you are different in some bad way in such an implicit way. however, it helps to take it from their perspective - they probably dont know how to breach the topic with you without hurting you directly so they start the communication through this gift.

i can see how this can be depressing to receive as it literally confirms that your parents think you have a disorder. i hate it being brought up that i might have a legitimate addiction to games, but i dont think the person whos telling me that is insensitive, rather just feel like a legitimate piece of crap afterwards

its not an insensitive gesture in the sense that the parents dont care about what the child feels, but rather is insensitive in the sense of how much it can hurt being told that you are different in some bad way in such an implicit way. however, it helps to take it from their perspective - they probably dont know how to breach the topic with you without hurting you directly so they start the communication through this gift.

all this

you have autism
yes but I believe it's a different type than aspergers (I don't act like the author describes themselves as acting; they say they always did things just to see what would happen on a regular basis, I have trouble focusing on anything and just generally act weird.)
Someone said "You're trying to pretend what you have isn't a disorder" but I'm not, it is a disorder, but I don't need a book of life advice like that, really. It's mostly stuff like "Hey, don't play videogames 24/7. Don't stress over grades too much. Don't pick too many hard classes." Stuff that might not be obvious to someone with a more serious form of autism but I already was thinking about that sort of thing. I don't panic about grades, I keep an eye on them and do something when they start looking bad. I did try to pick classes that would be easy or interesting and not hard classes. I do other things than just videogames, though I do use the computer "too much" (That's like saying I work on crafts too much, or read too much. Just because it's on the computer doesn't mean it's worse than any other hobby.)

yes but I believe it's a different type than aspergers (I don't act like the author describes themselves as acting; they say they always did things just to see what would happen on a regular basis, I have trouble focusing on anything and just generally act weird.)
Someone said "You're trying to pretend what you have isn't a disorder" but I'm not, it is a disorder, but I don't need a book of life advice like that, really. It's mostly stuff like "Hey, don't play videogames 24/7. Don't stress over grades too much. Don't pick too many hard classes." Stuff that might not be obvious to someone with a more serious form of autism but I already was thinking about that sort of thing. I don't panic about grades, I keep an eye on them and do something when they start looking bad. I did try to pick classes that would be easy or interesting and not hard classes. I do other things than just videogames, though I do use the computer "too much" (That's like saying I work on crafts too much, or read too much. Just because it's on the computer doesn't mean it's worse than any other hobby.)
It's perfectly fine if you don't want to read the book, but at least acknowledge that your parents purchased it for you because they care.

Also this goes for every hobby, if you do the hobby so much that it starts to get in the way of your regular life, then you should limit the amount of time you spend on the hobby. Most hobbies are fun activities that are either time wasters or skill building. If you are considering a career in painting, then OD painting is fine, or maybe if you want to become a video game designer, playing a lot of video games is also fine, but you should never let it overpower more serious aspects of life like school, expenses and socializing. I'm guessing you already have a handle on that so i'm not going to lecture you, but understand that video games are a little risky in the sense that they are 10x more attention grabbing and time wasting than a book or a game of basketball or any other hobby.

Also consider responsibilities as you're growing up. Meeting the minimum requirements for working class life isn't a cakewalk, and if you get too carefree or roostery and say stuff like "i'm on the right path right now, nothing can go wrong i'm all set" etc etc you might get hit in the face with a bunch of responsibility and not be ready when it comes time to find a paying field of work or handle adult stuff. Always keep on top of your game, keep shooting for the highest level even if you're already pretty high, and make sure you ask others for help, especially adults who are successful.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:07:30 PM by Perry »

One of the common things I'm seeing in this thread is people saying it's similar to someone saying "stop being depressed" or "how to stop being an idiot" or anything like that.
This isn't a book proposing to teach someone or urge someone to somehow cure themselves of aspergers. It's simply giving recommendations as to how to deal with it - more like saying "how to cope with depression."
Also talking about "getting a life" is just saying that regardless of your goals, without a passable social life you're going to have an awful time.

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to read the book, but at least acknowledge that your parents purchased it for you because they care.

Also this goes for every hobby, if you do the hobby so much that it starts to get in the way of your regular life, then you should limit the amount of time you spend on the hobby. Most hobbies are fun activities that are either time wasters or skill building. If you are considering a career in painting, then OD painting is fine, or maybe if you want to become a video game designer, playing a lot of video games is also fine, but you should never let it overpower more serious aspects of life like school, expenses and socializing. I'm guessing you already have a handle on that so i'm not going to lecture you, but understand that video games are a little risky in the sense that they are 10x more attention grabbing and time wasting than a book or a game of basketball or any other hobby.

Also consider responsibilities as you're growing up. Meeting the minimum requirements for working class life isn't a cakewalk, and if you get too carefree or roostery and say stuff like "i'm on the right path right now, nothing can go wrong i'm all set" etc etc you might get hit in the face with a bunch of responsibility and not be ready when it comes time to find a paying field of work or handle adult stuff. Always keep on top of your game, keep shooting for the highest level even if you're already pretty high, and make sure you ask others for help, especially adults who are successful.
he has autism

he has autism
damn you're right, i guess reasoning with it is futile

my aspergers was cured by my several older siblings who refused to put up with it.

my aspergers was cured by my several older siblings who refused to put up with it.
no it wasn't actualy

yeah it is and i have proof

proof
not a gay furry

OP have you been diagnosed with assburgers? (actually it's not even considered it's own thing anymore, it's part of the Autism spectrum now). It's sounds like at the very worst you have moderate ADHD.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:42:52 PM by beachbum111111 »