Author Topic: my parents bought me a book and I am insulted  (Read 12948 times)

I am offended by the fact my parents bought me this. I got the paper copy. It's pre-owned. Apparently the previous owner didn't like it any more than I did, it's got a fold in the back cover, the sort that drives me nuts.

In all seriousness, it makes me feel like they think I've got a fairly serious mental issue! I do have a mental issue, but not a serious one. I never had any issues like the book's author describes himself as having, I just got bored easily and I'm a bit immature. I don't need a book on how to life any more than anyone else, at least in my opinion. The only thing I'm concerned about is when I get to move out (Which won't be soon with how my parents apparently see me, I wanna bail as soon as I'm in college and live on campus/near campus) and whether or not I end up making a better lego game than any that currently exists. The college I'm most seriously considering is a state school that can't really deny me (as long as I finish high school and pass). I feel like nothing's going to be a real issue. I can't decide on a college, I don't WANT to go to a prestigious one, I don't want people to look at the degree I earn, I want to learn things and apply that and have people look at the RESULT of the learning and not WHERE I learned it.

Woah this got more serious than expected
this was originally just gonna be "[link that says I'm insulted]. what do?"

your parents are probably looking out for you, considering the fact that they spent actual currency they worked to earn on a book that is supposed to help you with life stuff. if i had aspergers i would be really happy to finally get a book that teaches me how to be more successful in my challenging life

its actually ironic because the book would probably teach you to be more grateful esp if you have aspergers
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:15:52 PM by Perry »

just see it as a nice gesture, they're looking out for you and want the best

just see it as a nice gesture, they're looking out for you and want the best

this, they want to help you out.

I'd be glad if my parents bought me something worth 11 bucks

if this offends you then you have aspergers

I'd be glad if my parents bought me something worth 11 bucks
i mean they bought u for 10 so i wouldn't get your hopes up so high

it was a dollar IIRC (mom said she got it at the dollar store)
I know they meant well but I still can't help but feel insulted
why couldn't they have just bought a NORMAL "how to life" book?

it was a dollar IIRC (mom said she got it at the dollar store)
I know they meant well but I still can't help but feel insulted
why couldn't they have just bought a NORMAL "how to life" book?
because you have a disorder? they bought the book with you in mind and it will clearly help. there's no harm done in reading it, it'll probably benefit you

don't judge a book by it's cover op

your parents are probably looking out for you, considering the fact that they spent actual currency they worked to earn on a book that is supposed to help you with life stuff. if i had aspergers i would be really happy to finally get a book that teaches me how to be more successful in my challenging life

its actually ironic because the book would probably teach you to be more grateful esp if you have aspergers

As someone with Asperger's I can tell you that this book is almost certainly useless for the simple reason that no one person with Asperger's Syndrome is the same as any other and therefore cannot be treated nor helped in the same way. The chances that the book was legitimately written by someone who has Asperger's syndrome is incredibly unlikely because anyone who has worked as hard as we have to in order to reach the point where our disability doesn't actually effect us would know how little they can help another person purely from their own experiences.

Plus, being told that you need to change who you are in order to accomplish anything is the most insulting thing I could possibly imagine. I became who I am and got where I am by accepting who I was and what made me who I was, not because I listened to what everyone around me told me to do which was to change myself in order to "cure" myself of the problems my Asperger's Syndrome caused me.

If you can't understand why this is at least a moderately insulting gesture, regardless of who you receive it from, then you don't have any right to be commenting on how someone with Asperger's Syndrome feels about something.

Is it bad that I laughed after clicking the link

Is it bad that I laughed after clicking the link
i mean maybe but its still funny in a way

People are always gonna try to tell you how to live your life man, you just gotta learn who's giving good advice and who's being passive aggressive. What your parents have done would offend me too, but they're doing it with good intentions.

People are always gonna try to tell you how to live your life man, you just gotta learn who's giving good advice and who's being passive aggressive. What your parents have done would offend me too, but they're doing it with good intentions.

Unfortunately, good intentions only help you get over the insult; they don't stop it from hurting you