problem with shaders

Author Topic: problem with shaders  (Read 17223 times)

iirc the way blockland calculates shadows is super hacky and inefficient (explains why it lags so much?) and so this probably had messed up part of it's algorithm on displaying them and so this now happens
aaand i'm betting that badspot wont bother fixing it as he hasn't done any updates to the game whatsoever lately

calculates shadows is super hacky and inefficient (explains why it lags so much?)
shadows are difficult, in this case they're actually pretty well done given the constraints
personally I feel like shadows should be shapes added to the shadow layer, which would work well for squared off bricks, but for other shapes (blockheads, items, vehicles, ramps, arches...) it's going to be expensive to compute
the sun also changes position constantly, so the shapes would have to be recalculated every frame, which is fine for square bricks, but not for anything else

very disappointed that it hasn't been fixed yet, but i won't be surprised if it'll still be staying like this.

i started up blockland to look for some functions today and was very confused when this happened, glad to know it's not just me. GTX 1070, driver version 382.05

iirc the way blockland calculates shadows is super hacky and inefficient (explains why it lags so much?) and so this probably had messed up part of it's algorithm on displaying them and so this now happens
aaand i'm betting that badspot wont bother fixing it as he hasn't done any updates to the game whatsoever lately
keep in mind that blockland is casting shadows for potentially hundreds of thousands of player-planted bricks at once on top of any entities like players, vehicles, etc., whereas most other games are dealing with relatively few dynamic objects and static scenery objects or terrain. bricks are pretty well-optimized (thank u kompressor for making octagoon tree gro big), but a greater performance hit is to be expected

bricks are pretty well-optimized

They aren't though. Especially the shadows are actually much slower than they could be.

They aren't though. Especially the shadows are actually much slower than they could be.
i should've clarified that i wasn't referring to shadows though when i said "well-optimized," since i defo don't know enough about the subject to really confidently say one way or another. i was referring to bricks in general, where there's definitely room for improvement, but i wouldn't say they're badly optimized. i mean, even on pretty poor hardware, it's not too hard to manage acceptable performance at very workable brick counts. practically speaking, i'd say that at least deserves a "pretty good."

some shenanigans with the shaders
on off/minimum it works as expected
low only half the screen has the issue
anything else is issues lol

i'm really curious as to why low is only half issues

it's completely playable on that half
and taking a screenshot (ctrl P) resets the shaders to off
hud screenshot lets me take pictures of it though

That's easy, on low you have a single 1024x1024 shadow map so only the top left part of your screen is forgeted up. What I think is more interesting are those 8x8 squares on the middle that work properly...

This is the only thing keeping me from making anything on Blockland, 'cuz I try to make my stuff look as good as possible with shaders. :C

I've been having this problem since I started playing Blockland again. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

lol thanks for upgrading at 5 AM without permission windows. now I get this also lol

since when does windows affect the graphics driver..

maybe it's windows corrupting the game all along..

Here's the last driver that works with Blockland: 378.92

Search for it with your configuration here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

So what do we do, roll backing the driver doesnt work anymore

...oh

stuff diddn't see this

So what do we do, roll backing the driver doesnt work anymore

You can uninstall the driver with DDU and then install the older one