300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans

Author Topic: 300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans  (Read 6147 times)

The Romans, definitely. Modern weaponry confers an enormous advantage but there's no way to defend against being overrun by a crowd 2000x bigger than you.

A lazy google search tells me that a modern marine carries 210 rounds of ammunition, meaning in order to kill 60,000 people charging at them, they'd have to shoot each roman exactly once, lethally, with an accuracy of ~95%. So I guess that means it's theoretically possible, but not very realistic

marine carries 210 rounds of ammunition

DOOM marine carries way more than 210 rounds of ammunition.

That's a fictional marine. Not a US marine.

Well DOOM Marine could probably kill 60,000 Romans with his bare hands anyway

A lazy google search tells me that a modern marine carries 210 rounds of ammunition, meaning in order to kill 60,000 people charging at them, they'd have to shoot each roman exactly once, lethally, with an accuracy of ~95%. So I guess that means it's theoretically possible, but not very realistic
thats assuming that the romans wouldn't run away in the face of a machine gun. it'd depend on the situation, of course, but i'd think that in most situations the marines would have good odds.

The flaws in this video particularly are hilarious.
The romans have superior numbers and formation.
They have shields which should at least stop or slow down a couple of rounds, depending on the ammunition used.

But for whatever reason:
-the shields do nothing.
-the romans only send a few men at a time.
-the marines do not have to reload.
-the marines do not run out of ammo.

-the shields do nothing.

There is a reason shields and plate armor were no longer useful because of flintlock and blunderbuss.

Pretty sure they can't stop modern day bullets.

They have shields which should at least stop or slow down a couple of rounds, depending on the ammunition used.

But for whatever reason:
-the shields do nothing.

Just adding reloads with a little timing randomization would make this much more interesting.

Shields should at least slow down the bullets, it seems like they almost pierce right through multiple people easily. Plus dead Romans should be able to absorb some bullets.

It's really a shame, with a little more depth and randomization this would be much more fun to watch.

But for whatever reason:
-the shields do nothing.
The shields would be reasonably ineffective. A typical oblong Scutum shield is made from sheets of wood covered in leather with thin straps of metal. It's roughly 5-6mm deep.
It would have relatively little stopping power against a modern bullet.

The Romans would almost certainly win in a fight though, on account of sheer numbers, but also their own ranged capabilities.
Roman soldiers had bows and spears and could take out marines from some distance.
There would be significant Roman losses but the Marines would be destroyed.