Author Topic: Blockland is NOT dead  (Read 9351 times)

I wouldn't say it's dead, but it's definitely lost popularity. If we cleaned up the forums and if players started hosting / promoting a variety of high quality servers, I'm sure it would respark interest in the game and the community. We could also help promote the game and various servers on YouTube via Let's Play videos, Let's Builds, etc. - that would definitely bring back old players or even new ones.

The first argument has been brought up a lot of times, but it doesn't seem to be true, ever. Every time someone made something unique, we had few new players try it out and the rest is forumers or Blockland regulars (or both, for that matter). As for the second, youtubers have already shot down Blockland with videos such as "BANNED FROM BLOCKLAND?!?!" and "BLOCKLAND SUCKS/IS DEAD", so don't bother. Unless you're a popular youtuber.

We could also help promote the game and various servers on YouTube via Let's Play videos, Let's Builds, etc. - that would definitely bring back old players or even new ones.

I think a proper "let's build" would be good. Though, it would have to be done correctly. It could be incredibly boring if it's not done correctly. As for let's plays, the ones that have been done just didn't seem anything special. At least not at this time. The ones that do exist (that I've seen) were mostly just jail rp's or one of the generic game modes. None of them were really focused around building.

You know what would be great, if someone documented the construction of a really large build. That would be something I'd like to see. Like someone making a large city, and each day they document what was new that day and after a time there's a giant city that has been made. I'd personally really like to participate in something like that. It would be a really good opportunity as a community project as well.

Not gonna lie a lot of other games are still alive due to the community.

The first argument has been brought up a lot of times, but it doesn't seem to be true, ever. Every time someone made something unique, we had few new players try it out and the rest is forumers or Blockland regulars (or both, for that matter). As for the second, youtubers have already shot down Blockland with videos such as "BANNED FROM BLOCKLAND?!?!" and "BLOCKLAND SUCKS/IS DEAD", so don't bother. Unless you're a popular youtuber.
We would have to be consistent though, it may take awhile. Also, we would have to saturate YouTube with positive Blockland content. Over time, if people see videos of players enjoying various servers and add-ons, they would possibly give it a second thought and retry it. Just my opinion, but it's worth a shot.

I think a proper "let's build" would be good. Though, it would have to be done correctly. It could be incredibly boring if it's not done correctly. As for let's plays, the ones that have been done just didn't seem anything special. At least not at this time. The ones that do exist (that I've seen) were mostly just jail rp's or one of the generic game modes. None of them were really focused around building.

You know what would be great, if someone documented the construction of a really large build. That would be something I'd like to see. Like someone making a large city, and each day they document what was new that day and after a time there's a giant city that has been made. I'd personally really like to participate in something like that. It would be a really good opportunity as a community project as well.
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how to make a let's build exciting or interesting. I have designed some buildings in real life and would like to do a series remaking them in Blockland, perhaps doing a timelapse of the actual building portion of the video. Also, I've been wanting to do a survival let's play series in Blockland using RPGx, but I'm not sure if that would work.

I wouldn't say it's dead, but it's definitely lost popularity. If we cleaned up the forums and if players started hosting / promoting a variety of high quality servers, I'm sure it would respark interest in the game and the community. We could also help promote the game and various servers on YouTube via Let's Play videos, Let's Builds, etc. - that would definitely bring back old players or even new ones.
True.

The major blow was the removal of terrain and interiors. Players had more fun in those maps such as San Andreas or other Blocko city maps. If you were too lazy to build, you went to one of GSF maps, build some extra houses and you were done.

A long time ago I'd remember a great server that I used to play; Grand Theft Blocko SA. This server gained a lot of popularity and each user made map in Blockland was unique. There are still a lot of people that are saying that Blockland is alive, it is still alive yes, but it's very slowly decaying away. From 2008 to 2012 there were much more players on the forums and game.

Some months ago I put this video together and hoping that Badspot will do the right thing by hosting an older Blockland version and updating that constantly.

Some months ago I put this video together and hoping that Badspot will do the right thing by hosting an older Blockland version and updating that constantly.

Wouldn't that simply mean he would update it back to 2017? That's what happened today.

The major blow was the removal of terrain and interiors. Players had more fun in those maps such as San Andreas or other Blocko city maps. If you were too lazy to build, you went to one of GSF maps, build some extra houses and you were done.

I think I'd have to agree that the removal of terrain and interiors was a mistake, but I think the real damage was done with the handling of player disappointment. From what I've seen, a majority of the community (that was and still is) wants/wanted maps back. I personally think the game is a lot less interesting now and it seems a lot of other people thought so too.

Honestly I think this discussion is just going in circles. It has been started many times over and over, and really it's clear that it's not getting through to everyone. "Blockland is dead" is just going to be another one of those things that new players and old players are going to find interest in dramatizing, as has been the case. The facts are that the game's population has taken a dive but it's not dead yet. Badspot is demonstrating he's very unlikely going to do anything to make the game better, and I think it's really up to the player base to determine how long this game is going to last. It always comes down to a case of someone just needed to put enough time and effort into doing something.

Now in the case of bringing back v20, I've seen the petitions for going back to v20 and all that, but I honestly don't know what you expect Badspot to do. We have some 300 active members, and probably the only thing that will entice Badspot is a large amount of money. Where would we get the money with our small community? I don't even know if that would be enough considering Badspot seemingly hasn't properly capitalized on this game in the last few years.

Honestly though, we complain and all that, but if the game is going to get better I really believe it's up the the community. With all the creatives and programmers on this forum we have all we need. The community just has to organize (an idea that I don't think is new). All I really see on the forums outside the add-ons section (and even sometimes in the add-ons section) is toxic behavior and a lot of incomplete projects (and that attitude has always been present in Blockland). Ultimately I think it's just been present too long and is finally burning Blockland out. It's partially why Ephialtes left, and it's cause for Badspot not wanting to put effort into this game anymore.

Also I'd agree with this, and I'd say a lot of our community on the forums is just toxic. Like seriously, I can't read the drama board without wanting to die.
See, this is more of a personal problem.

I'm fine with the community (other than the people who stuff up OT constantly), because I just never click on Drama.

See, this is more of a personal problem.

I'm fine with the community (other than the people who stuff up OT constantly), because I just never click on Drama.

It is somewhat a personal problem (and I choose not to go there as well), but I've seen a lot of new players drawn to the drama topic and to them Drama is our whole community. The Drama community is also a part of the overall community and that's just an issue with its current state.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:54:09 PM by Maya67 »

True.

I agree as well, when terrain and interiors were removed, many people - myself included - lost a lot interest in the game. I still stuck around by making other types of content, but maps just offered another layer of creativity and immersion.

I've been wanting to make my own game - inspired by v20 and v0002, with remastered versions of old maps as well as new ones. Maybe it's best to focus on finishing it. The Blockland Classic mod is also worth checking out.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:53:35 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

I've been wanting to make my own game - inspired by v20 and v0002, with remastered versions of old maps as well as new ones.

Is it called... Brickland?

Is it called... Brickland?
That name's probably taken already. =/ It would be a new experience though, not a remake of this game.