Poll

Support?

Yes
No
I'd like something tweaked (post below)

Author Topic: Blockland: Community Edition Proposal  (Read 14101 times)

doublepost because something new and "exciting"! I made a mockup of a new wrench menu.

It pops up when you look at a brick, but you can keep moving and looking around. You would have to wrench the brick or press M to actually interact with the GUI.
It's missing the copy checkboxes, but I think that you should hit a copy button, select things, and then hit paste to apply it. Maybe an autopaste checkbox too, to retain that original thing. Cuts down on the number of checkboxes you need to worry about.

system sounds excessively complicated compared to existing menu

last thing you really need is screen clutter, and you have to disable moving around anyways since youd need to type in names n stuff. it will also break any modifications to the gui like drop down search.

just because dlls can modify the game a lot to make it look sleeker doesnt mean it should be done. keep in mind how feasible and important certain ideas are and prioritize things that actually make a big difference in how the game plays and feels (like fixed light limitations)

You are right in many ways, but the sleek look can act as an advantage. The larger font and the background is much more readable and feels "fresh" you know.

it's unnecessarily confusing/cluttered
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:06:39 PM by Electrk. »

Post here to support TBM!

the community edition would ultimately divide the playerbase into 2 populations: people who use the community edition, and people who don't. if there is backwards compatibility with the base game and non community edition, then the latter would essentially be an addon pack. unless you're creating high level changes to the game which removes limitations and adds new possibilities that would otherwise require a dll (and aren't just new features like blocklandlua and toggleplayercollision) then it really would feel like a set of addons. while things like blocklandlua would effectively create new possibilities for addons that rely on speedy processing but it doesn't really fix many minor flaws in blockland, such as the notorious vehicle physics and technical things that you see all over suggestions and requests in which people reply with "not possible" and such.

none of this will "save" blockland when it's starting to decline heavily (which would be unlikely), or when people are just fed up with blocklands bullstuff and want a new update which adds stuff people care about. your best bet would be creating another game so you arent bound to a bunch of technical limitations which prevent you from adding cool stuff.

Post here to support TBM!
yeah that

on the topic of supersuit's event menu, i dont want to stuff on it and say that its complete garbage but it has a lot of room for improvement. for one, the theme seems really out of place since the start-a-game menu only uses that style. put it next to the admin gui and it doesnt really belong there. there also isnt a lot of color depth in it, so i can hardly see the buttons and where the icons should be. instead of putting "no emitter" and "no item" next to the dropdown box, you could probably put it on the dropdown since "None" is already an option in the weapon list by default. also, i (hardly) saw the name gui at the top; you might want to group it with one of the 2 boxes or move it down a little because it seems out of place (and no im not nitpicking)

it's unnecessarily confusing/cluttered
basically what im trying to say (not sure why you edited the cluttered part out), you could free up a lot of space if you didnt do a bunch of gay stuff. it's mainly cluttered in the item/emitter direction area

in terms of actually adding features you should be able to move the little boxes around in case it gets in your way

you should also fix the aliasing on the icons unless that was intended but you're using a sans serif font (impact) and not minecraft font so its kind of eh

oops I forgot a light menu, I added one

someone asked what the circles were elsewhere, those are for item/emitter icons, emitter icons might not work too well but IDK and lights should just use the flare which should work ok

also conan I said that you would be able to VIEW it while moving, not EDIT it. You would still have to actually wrench the brick to change things, it'd just make finding that brick you named easier.

I don't like the idea of gui changes to be honest, unless they're optional. I feel something like this should be focused on removing limitations, fixing bugs, adding some quality of life features, making more things in the default gui editable by servers, and adding some optional "must have" mods. By having this stuff distributed through an all-in-one launcher it would popularize the idea of modding the game though DLLs. Something like a new special gui would just break compatability and confuse people who played vanilla blockland.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:46:18 AM by Crispy_ »

lol is this for real?

brick wrench dialogue that changes real-time when clicking on items and emitters would be freaking awesome

Anyways, it's pretty obvious that this can't work without badspot fully supporting it. Most new players have no idea that this forum exists, and would not have any idea that your mod exists. They'll just see a list with even less interesting servers, and close the game forever.

just have the server's post to the regular master server and kick new players with a promt to the community update. when they find out that they can't join 90% of server's without this mod they'll just install it

just have the server's post to the regular master server and kick new players with a promt to the community update. when they find out that they can't join 90% of server's without this mod they'll just install it

Or again, close the game forever. That sounds like it'll piss off a lot of people.