Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232201 times)

boy oh boy, this is getting smexier and smexier

okay real quick what the forget is this octree stuff I thought you were using a ROBLOX-style building system
these two things are unrelated

ok now make a vote between squideeys or trogs

I really REALLY hope you use this one - I think the minifig appeals to a lot more people (possibly) than the robot looking one currently being used. Also, it'd be a lot easier to make cosmetics that will be available in game for this minifig - it's pretty reminiscent of Lego and Lego has made tons and tons of hats and things for their minifigs. Also, I think the hitbox can be a lot more generous on this one than the current robotic one - it's a more blocky character and wider with a more general shape.
Those minifigs feel too much like BL though; we're trying to take the game in a slightly new direction, while also keeping the BL spirit alive within it. I don't want to get into the avatar this early (might be best to wait until Beta stage for that), but I really liked this design Pomp came up with:

I hear what y'all are saying though regarding the design and Trog's / Squid's model. It's way too early to decide on the final design just yet, so everything is subject to change. But, the pic above is the style I would like to go for. Also, no matter what we end up choosing, I want to make modifying the game as easy as possible for those who want to add in Blockland-esque textures, models, add-ons, etc. That way, the game can cater to both those who want something new, and those who want something closer to BL itself. For instance, if someone wants to import Trog's or Squid's model into the game, all they'll have to do is set up the skeleton for the model, and the default game animations for the main avatar will automatically apply to the custom model in-game.

Another minor update - made a few adjustments to brick textures. They're still 2D, but are set up to be properly affected by perspective and realtime lighting, to better give the impression of 3D geometry:

Also, I'm currently working on a way to have the game automatically set up the brick grid for brick models for you, instead of having to figure them out yourself in a text document. This will make brick creation much easier for add-on developers, and is helping speed up development of the voxel system as well.

can we at least have a democracy

I think the best way to determine the final model's design is to actually test a few of them in-game. Let's wait until the demo releases until we talk about the avatar again, otherwise we'll just keep discussing this in circles lol. Right now we're working on getting core mechanics working (i.e. building), so that should be the focus for now.

I think the best way to determine the final model's design is to actually test a few of them in-game. Let's wait until the demo releases until we talk about the avatar again, otherwise we'll just keep discussing this in circles lol. Right now we're working on getting core mechanics working (i.e. building), so that should be the focus for now.
What you could do, is make it so people can choose their avatar type? Why not put 2 of the avatars in the game and give people variety? You can't please everyone for sure, but it'd please a lot more people I believe.

i wish we could just get a system for having custom avatars across all servers

i wish we could just get a system for having custom avatars across all servers
hahaha what can possibly go wrong

I really REALLY hope you use this one - I think the minifig appeals to a lot more people (possibly) than the robot looking one currently being used. Also, it'd be a lot easier to make cosmetics that will be available in game for this minifig - it's pretty reminiscent of Lego and Lego has made tons and tons of hats and things for their minifigs. Also, I think the hitbox can be a lot more generous on this one than the current robotic one - it's a more blocky character and wider with a more general shape.

that looks 100x worse

[imag]http://i.imgur.com/ih4hVhr.png[/img]

LOL yeah a law suit is what he needs.

Anyway Ghost, I really like the design of that tall one, just below the knee caps kind of throws me off. Maybe a little thinner in that area if it comes to it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:08:29 PM by IdeTheBird »

Trogtors / Squeedey's avatars, except without arms and legs like BL to prevent the paranoia of lawsuits and such

I dont think Badspot will sue. Bones avatar looks too much like the LEGO fig, which way back they did threaten to sue Badspot if he didnt change it.

i forgot about this but a while ago i made a concept model for squideeys concept

I dont think Badspot will sue. Bones avatar looks too much like the LEGO fig, which way back they did threaten to sue Badspot if he didnt change it.
think about this for a second. badspot sueing for ripping off a design that was ripped off from another design

if anyone would be sueing, it would be lego.