Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232319 times)

Then how about letting the player have only one inventory for items (ignoring bricks here!), at the minimum being a hotbar, which can be extended to any number of slots? The first 9-or-so slots (configurable) can be shown as hotbar on the HUD, with the remainder (also configurable) being hidden like a backpack, accessible by a keypress.
I like this idea.

I can release it as an external add-on if that would be best. But yeah, I would like to have some type of RPG system players can use right away, once the game is released. It would also provide an easy reference for those who want to make their own later on as well.
I think this would be the best way to implement the RPG system.
It should be possible to remove and replace in case someone wants to make a different one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:34:59 PM by /dev/sr0 »

Here's an idea for how inventories could be handled (it's just a rough example, so certain graphics are missing):

-If you're carrying a build tool (top-left image), the brick inventory will appear above your items hotbar. This will allow you to choose a certain brick / build in one hand, while being able to wield / fire a gun in your other hand.

-If you're carrying a backpack or small container in one hand (top-right), you'll be able to access it (also while being able to wield / fire a gun in the other).

-The layout when viewing a storage brick's / vehicle's inventory (bottom images) would also be simplified, even while carrying a backpack / container in your hotbar.

-This would most likely work best when in a minigame or for default building. Although, a toggleable free-build mode could be added as well, which when enabled, would allow players to build in a way similar to Lego Worlds or Roblox, and allow for free camera movement.

If you're not accessing an inventory of any kind, and not carrying a build tool, this would be the default appearance:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:35:17 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Are you going to have resizable bricks like Roblox? In Roblox I just grab a basic 2x4 and then just resize it to the width and length in studs I desire.

Are you going to have resizable bricks like Roblox? In Roblox I just grab a basic 2x4 and then just resize it to the width and length in studs I desire.
yeah!
thats a good idea
so we dont have to have a billion addons for the most obscure size ever

Thia whole project is great and all but where are the gamemodes?

Being put off till the foundation is done, how it should be?

This is all great as long as there's a button to show/hide the backpack. (like 'I' or something)

Although maybe the brick hotbar should go up top instead of stacked on top of the items.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:02:04 PM by /dev/sr0 »

Being put off till the foundation is done, how it should be?
Do you guys have any ideas for a gamemode?

zombies gamemode

This is all great as long as there's a button to show/hide the backpack. (like 'I' or something)

Although maybe the brick hotbar should go up top instead of stacked on top of the items.
The backpack inventory won't show up unless you either have the backpack in one of your hands, or if you activate the backpack item in your hand.

We'll get to that eventually, right now I'm focusing on the inventory system and building. The plan is to gradually add more content and features to the demo over time, and get feedback each step of the way.

I mentioned this on Discord, but I'll be experimenting with the resizable bricks in the near future. Default bricks have various calculations taken care of in advance, to put minimal stress on the server while building. Resizable bricks however will have to run all of those calculations while resizing the brick, so I'll have to find a balance of how to best handle that.

It might be cool to make all these UI elements resizable and movable by client-side mods.

You could also let server-side mods add UI elements for whatever gamemode the server is doing

Sorry if this has already been asked, is there going to be VR support?

Sorry if this has already been asked, is there going to be VR support?
imagine trying to build in that
with the limited controls

imagine trying to build in that
with the limited controls

Actually, working with any kind of 3D-Content in VR, with properly made controls, is much easier than plain old mouse and keyboard. Reasons for that are depth-perception, proper 3D-aiming, being able to use 'hands' and not being a cylinder with a camera tacked on...

I'm planning to buy a VR-HMD anyway so... VR support is a possibility?