Author Topic: B4v21 - AYE Y'ALL IT'S THE FIRST YEAR ANNIVERSARY  (Read 37333 times)

does this work for steam?
sadly no, steam users just dont get keys and therefore can't auth with older versions of blockland
we haven't given up completely though, we're open to if anyone else has any (technical) ideas on how to allow steam users to auth! (legally)

also, i'm gonna be hosting my server on weekend (and also maybe throughout the week if enough people are interested!)

what do you mean i own the game on steam and I can play v20 client

what do you mean i own the game on steam and I can play v20 client
if you bought the game and transferred your key to steam you can play (if you still have your key), but if you bought blockland directly from steam you can't play as you're never given a key

if you bought the game and transferred your key to steam you can play (if you still have your key), but if you bought blockland directly from steam you can't play as you're never given a key
oh okay

also, i'm gonna be hosting my server on weekend (and also maybe throughout the week if enough people are interested!)
im interested. get the whole gang together one week i wanna film some "idiots of blockland" esque stuff

im interested. get the whole gang together one week i wanna film some "idiots of blockland" esque stuff
join the discord! if you wanna plan this out, arrange dates/times to film we can definitely help out.
we've actually attempted to make videos that are similar to the real old blockland vids you'd see but we never managed to finish any sadly

honestly im quite sure one of the reasons why we're constantly bumping this is becuase steam users can't play old retail versions of the game. there's a lot of steam users around now and they will be wanting to play v20 because they never originally experienced it
at first i thought this wasn't too bad of an issue but i've realised now the amount of people who dont have a key
then again, though, we still have no idea how to auth people on older versions of blockland. we'd really appreciate if any coders out there have any ideas, though (even if DLL injecting is required, anything!)
(note here im not asking for a 'crack' of the game - just a way for people who bought the game legally through steam be able to auth through steam on v20 and other retail versions)

honestly im quite sure one of the reasons why we're constantly bumping this is becuase steam users can't play old retail versions of the game. there's a lot of steam users around now and they will be wanting to play v20 because they never originally experienced it
at first i thought this wasn't too bad of an issue but i've realised now the amount of people who dont have a key
then again, though, we still have no idea how to auth people on older versions of blockland. we'd really appreciate if any coders out there have any ideas, though (even if DLL injecting is required, anything!)
(note here im not asking for a 'crack' of the game - just a way for people who bought the game legally through steam be able to auth through steam on v20 and other retail versions)

i just converted my retail key to steam
can i still play v20

i just converted my retail key to steam
can i still play v20
Yes, you just need to use the key when authing the old blockland client.

I would love to help figure out how to fix steam auth but I don't like the playerbase being split like this.

I would love to help figure out how to fix steam auth but I don't like the playerbase being split like this.
Uh, is that a thing?  I haven't noticed any split in the player base due to this project.

yeah this is a valid point, but.. there's nothing we can do on our side to stop this from being an issue. unless if the actual master server supported all versions (with errors when trying to join other versions instead of confusing crashes) or if somehow we got everyone to move to our master server (won't ever happen) there's no way to get older versions back without splitting the community
i completely understand the issue with splitting a playerbase - it makes both sides seem dead and i definitely know this from the activity of the b4v21 master server, but there's honestly nothing we could do to solve this while being able to play older versions on multiplayer

could an add-on that sends a request for both master servers and then merge both lists together be a solution? that's up to opinion.
EDIT: actually nah because players are still split between versions, which i imagine a lot of people would still consider splitting the playerbase
Uh, is that a thing?  I haven't noticed any split in the player base due to this project.
not right now, but lets say half of everyone on v21 moved to our master server: that would make the v21 master server seem way more empty, making the game seem more empty because not all the servers are on the same list. the issue is that we have two sides of blockland where, because both sides have less players each then blockland does as a whole right now, it makes the game feel more dead.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:48:09 AM by K3k0m@n »