Several Questions: Is "no loopholes" a good rule?

Poll

Ahem! From now on, there will be no loopholes around rules! Do you understand?

Yes, certainly. I agree with this new rule.
16 (43.2%)
Is this rule necessary? I'm confused.
8 (21.6%)
No, that's a stupid rule, get rid of it.
13 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Several Questions: Is "no loopholes" a good rule?  (Read 21222 times)

also if we're allowed any genre of any mode of entertainment we need to ban noise

we wouldn't be losing any thing except the merzbow meme
Uhh what about the genres which use elements of noise like noise rock or noise pop or shoegaze! What about all the composers who were concerned with loudness and arrived at noise works with academic backing?? What about the distortion present in most rock music!! All this is noise of great value.

comedy

most comedy movies these days are just unfunny cringefests

electro swing
this, but if you replaced the words "electro swing" with the word "nightcore"

Horror is a stuff genre. The good movies in the 'horror genre' can be better classified as drama, and the ones that are just flatly classified as 'horror' tend to be jump-scare exorcist rip-off nonsense.

I voted for horror, but comedy still comes up close behind. I can't think of many good comedies either. the romantic variety is even worse, but the genre as a whole just seems subpar. you mostly get stuff like adam sandler, rob shneider, and vince vaughn. maybe there's a few good examples but I'm not sure that's enough to save the genre

Insidious is a good series IMO. Cheap jumpscares here and there that are barely scary but the storyline is pretty good.

Quarantine is also a really good movie and it's pretty forgetin realistic which is the scariest thing.

you fools say comedy but forget about the naked gun series

naked guns?? wtf. is there something you wanna talk about nonnel...

i give; i'm firearmloveual

i give; i'm firearmloveual
you are full of sin, get out of this holy place

ok i found the genre that nobody would miss if removed

scene
electro swing

Horror is a stuff genre. The good movies in the 'horror genre' can be better classified as drama, and the ones that are just flatly classified as 'horror' tend to be jump-scare exorcist rip-off nonsense.
Uh... I don't think Sinister or The Shining--or many other great scary films--can really be classified as drama since they're literally terrifying. Jump scares aren't inherently bad unless they're abused. 'Hush' from Doctor Who (the Weeping Angels episode) is often called the greatest episode ever despite relying entirely on jump-scares for the spooks. I watch a lot of horror films and while it's true that most are terrible, some are great. There was a short from Southbound (a good horror film) that was genuinely terrifying. Basically, the main character hits a girl with his car and is driving frantically trying to save her under the order of a weird 9/11 operator as she chokes up blood and struggles to breath. He rushes her to an ER room but find it completely empty before he's ordered to preform the surgery himself by a 9/11 operator. They manipulate him into killing the girl and begin to laugh at him hysterically before letting him go. That entire story has no monsters, jumpscares, or any disgusting gore. It was literally just terrifying on a psychological basis because I was picturing myself in that situation and beginning to panic. The *unknown* factor of a horror feature is what's truly the scariest--it's rarely very scary to watch for the second time. What sticks with you is how horrifying the entire situation was and how everything he did--despite being the right thing to do--ended badly for him. It's also scary to picture these weird devil-like figures manipulating humans into killing one another for fun. It wasn't drama--I wasn't just tense. I was actually nervous and felt like I should pause the film. At some points I felt my heart beating really fast and got genuinely afraid. I love that feeling--it's so rare when a film can actually scare me (without jumpscares) that when it does it's really exciting.

Drama focuses on characters emotions and dialogue with one another. While that's certainly important to horror, the greatest factor is how the characters respond to the environment around them and the situations they are in. In horror, the characters should be relatively replaceable. The situation and environment is the star, while with drama, it's the opposite.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:30:13 AM by McZealot »

you fools say comedy but forget about the naked gun series
thank you for reminding me of these films

Personally haven't found an interesting romance-centric movie that didn't double as a comedy or other.