These false reviews need to stop.

Author Topic: These false reviews need to stop.  (Read 14802 times)

These are suggestions, why wouldn't it be worth to give it even a try?
Because dividing the playerbase is bad - also note that using older versions make you vulnerable to exploits and bugs

also note that using older versions make you vulnerable to exploits and bugs

That's why TBM officially became shunned from the community and banned on sight.

These are suggestions, why wouldn't it be worth to give it even a try?
some courses of action require significant investment - this being one of them. if a used car salesman came up to you and suggested you buy his cheap cheap car, you wouldnt just drop the couple grand right there for it unless you had no other option and needed a car immediately.

maybe a bad brown townogy but it gets the idea across

I don't miss interiors but I miss terrain badly. The ability to rapidly form terrain was invaluable when it came to large open-world RPs/RPGs/DMs, especially combined with the accuracy of collision between terrain and vehicles, which just isn't there for bricks.
Terrain wasn't exactly the holy grail of collision detection/resolution. I have quite vivid memories of running countless stunt planes through the ground on the slopes, and even occasionally running a jeep through a cliff face or getting launched into outer-space seemingly at random. Granted, it's probably fair to say they did a slightly better job. But I don't think that justifies their existence per se.

What would help though is lifting the 64x brick size restriction. Having 256x mod-ter bricks would reduce brick count and the time it takes to build maps.
In my experience, the bigger the brick, the more problems it has with collision detection/resolution. This might just make things worse. Plus, bricks that large would likely inspire very uninspired map designs. However, I suppose I could see it being useful for maps where terrain detail isn't important, like expansive dog fights.

I just don't think anyone has the time to make massive mod-ter maps
You have a point here. Developing mod-ter maps does take significantly more time, and it's harder to get right. What we need are better tools. We do have things like GFS Ghost's PTG. But it doesn't allow you to (easily and seamlessly) modify the terrain. We need tools that can sculpt the terrain.

I have actually been thinking about re-purposing a tool I have been working for use in terrain sculpting. It's a Better Trench Tool (creative name, I know) that allows you to dig and place variable-sized dirt cubes/bricks. I stopped development of it awhile ago when I noticed trench servers were dying, and haven't seen much reason to continue working on it. But seeing that there's a real need for a terrain sculpting tool, I might try finishing it up and then start working on something of that strand. Perhaps I'll start a discussion about what the community would want in a terrain sculpting tool, and maybe peek the interest of other modders.

EDIT: Here's the discussion thread.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:02:53 AM by Platypi »

How is Blockland dead? What more is there to update?

That's why TBM officially became shunned from the community and banned on sight.
I dont even know what that is.

How is Blockland dead? What more is there to update?
This has been discussed a million times.

I dont even know what that is.

good.

Then badspot did his job.

"dead" on blockland is like <100 online at once.

but steam people take for granted how many people play other games. blockland actually doesnt need a lot at once to be very very active.

Also count the people in singleplayer.

fragment the userbase across two versions of the game?

aw yes, the ol runescape (and 1000s others) strategy. gain more players by pleasing everyone at once.
next step is, making the game(s) free, and adding cash shop hats.

If badspot has any plans of adding more default builds using modter I got a few that only use default bricks.

People are too lazy to build and just wanna forget around in some empty terrain/interior map that they can explore in. This can be solved with some big empty modter builds lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:36:59 PM by King Tøny »

While I really like the classic Blockland revival with some of the veteran players, Badspot is right. Trying to get people to play the old version of the game instead of the current version of BLockland is going to split the community in half and effectively destroy both playerbases as a result due to lack of activity. Nobody wins in that situation.

Meanwhile, in the current version of the game, there's a lot of potential with Static Shapes and modter that we have not fully harnessed or worked with enough. I mean, we've already had several great maps from the past brought back through static shapes. And to be honest, lots of gamemodes and build themes dont even use terrain or interiors. In my case it's spaceships. It's all do-it-yourself in that scenario.

However, I will admit I loved terrain, and I do think it has some powerful advantages over modter (namely the ease it brings for making gamemodes to go with the terrain, such as dogfights and races, and its power to inspire and provide an easy canvas for people to build amazing structures on that flow with and spring out from the terrain), but I recognize it looks very dated, has bad code, and is unappealing to new players, so I understand and respect why Badspot does not want it in the game.

My only beef with modter is how awful it is on server performance when it's cleared. I built an awesome modter planet that is even better than the classic Reactor Worker's solar system planets map from pre-v21, yet it's a total nightmare for me to clear and sometimes crashes my server due to issues with clearing large amounts of modter at once. I wish this issue was fixed or a workaround was found somehow, but sadly I haven't seen any good solution to the problem yet. Because of this, I can't use my modter planet except for specific static gamemodes (where the bricks are loaded and nothing needs to be cleared until the server shuts down).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:04:40 AM by Planr »

since you have no interest in this game at all, and there's still a large sum of people who wish that blockland was still being expanded on, what's your opinion on the concept of the people in this community who are working to expand on blockland through a completely new game? GSF Ghosts 'blockland inspired project' for example
what about my question

that game is 100% unrelated to blockland and badspot. why do you ask him?

that game is 100% unrelated to blockland and badspot. why do you ask him?
you might imagine that something is wrong with blockland if people feel it's necessary to put in the effort to make an entirely new game to replace it

Meanwhile, in the current version of the game, there's a lot of potential with Static Shapes and modter that we have not fully harnessed or worked with enough. I mean, we've already had several great maps from the past brought back through static shapes. And to be honest, lots of gamemodes and build themes dont even use terrain or interiors. In my case it's spaceships. It's all do-it-yourself in that scenario.
I only today experienced a static map for the first time since marbleman's bedroom from years ago. The one I played on was Tendon's kitchen map and save for a couple lighting issues and the fact that the windows didn't break, it seemed like an exact replica. It was great. Is there any reason not to include this or other original maps (see: Bedroom) in the base game? Granted, I know nothing more about them than just my experience today, nor anything about coding stuff.