Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense

Author Topic: Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense  (Read 5116 times)

Light and thin are the qualities you wanna look for in a carry pistol. Anything too bulky or too heavy is gonna be awkward to carry.
Yes, but I plan to use this gun for learning. I'll buy a different gun in the future for concealed carry, I mentioned that in the op.

my personal experience is limited to various S&W semi-autos, glocks, the M9, and 1911-type handguns

stick to 9mm or 380; cheap & common ammo. subjective handling feel is more important than objective on-paper stats: if you aren't comfortable using the weapon then you can't really expect to operate it quickly and effectively. for reference i have small girly hands for a 5'11" @ 150 lb guy:

glock 19/23/37 - imho the ergonomics are atrocious-- both holding and shooting. that's all i can really say about them. I heard they're reliable tho idk lol

beretta M9 - at its size and weight the capacity should be more like 17-19 rounds. they shoot straight and reliably but overall it's too big for my hands and too big for eventual cc (not that it can't be carried; my sister's bf carries one daily but he's a freaking bear)

1911-types - my favorite honestly. for me they feel just right in every way (albeit a trigger job usually goes a long way), even the (rare) double-stack .45 variants are more comfortable than the M9 and G37. single-stacks are skinny so they aren't too intrusive when carrying. look into 9mm kimbers

S&W shield .40 - i've put more rounds through this one than any other and it has jammed more consistently than any other in this list, but i have messed with its guts a bit. all-around great pistol otherwise

i've heard a lot of good about canik pistols but never even held one yet

Get a glock. Anyone who says anything else for a starter pistol doesn't know what they're talking about. They're easy to maintain, cheap to replace anything broken, and plentiful so low overall cost. Plus 9 mm ammo is cheap. Like I said though, take the course first.

do not get a five-seven, i have never seen one cost less than a thousand dollars and that is definitely not the investment pecon wants to make when they don't even know what will feel comfortable for them to use

i mean i heard some good reviews about it, so that's why i sort of took a shot in the dark and suggested so.  but thanks for the call-out.

get a colt paterson. anyone who says anything else for a starter pistol doesn't know what they're talking about.

get two colt single action armys and become cowboy

Yes, but I plan to use this gun for learning. I'll buy a different gun in the future for concealed carry, I mentioned that in the op.

At that point you should mostly worry about what fits in your hand good enough, and that you can pull the trigger and pull back the slide without any unnecessary effort.

For range pistols, you can't go wrong with anything relatively affordable from Colt, H&K or Ruger. And like Zloff said, go for 9mm or 380.

My thing is that my hands are gigantic and I can't carry normal compact handguns because of the awkward fit, so the best thing to do is to find the pistol that best fits your hand. Otherwise, you may not be able to reliably use it in a scenario where you'd need to draw a firearm.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:43:53 AM by IkeTheGeneric »

Thanks for the input everyone, this should help me pick out something more easily.

I guess my only other question would be if there is some reason I might not want to use a compact for range shooting?

Thanks for the input everyone, this should help me pick out something more easily.

I guess my only other question would be if there is some reason I might not want to use a compact for range shooting?
my best guess is because the barrel is much shorter, your shots won't be as accurate as a "regular variant" of the gun, and the barrel will get hotter faster (i'm assuming on this one, don't quote me), making your shots even more inaccurate. longer barrels will spread the heat out more so they won't get as hot and should cool down a bit faster, and for something like a revolver i imagine the barrel being outside of the slide / casing would help it cool down faster

i don't know if i'm completely right about the longer barrels spreading the heat / revolvers cooling down faster / compact gun barrels getting heated faster, but i do know you want to wait a bit in-between shots so your gun is still accurate and you don't screw anything up on your gun

You'll still want some range time with your carry weapon so you're comfortable shooting it

tfw nearly everyone recommending gear queer tacticool handguns over actual function

Get a revolver. They carry more powerful cartridges and are less likely to have jamming issues unlike slide guns. They are simpler to use and don't leave brass casings everywhere when fired. If loading speed is an issue just get moonclips so you can fast dump cartridges and stick a full set in just as fast. You can choose less powerful cartridges for revolvers as well if kick scares you. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a .38 special. Don't worry much about ammo capacity. In most self defense situations, if you don't have the attacker dead in the first six shots you're toast. Barely more than that being shot off is very unlikely.

Pay close attention in your carry classes. Don't be afraid to make a decision when the teacher throws a scenario at you. Freezing up while making a decision is the worst option.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:16:04 PM by Tayasaurus »

as if there are any guns in rohnert park