Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense

Author Topic: Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense  (Read 5152 times)

have you considered a revolver? revolvers are simpler than semi-auto guns, and are less likely to fail in an event where a gun is needed. revolvers also allow more stopping power than a semi-auto, but have more recoil. I don't know a whole lot more than that, so I couldn't recommend any revolvers to you.

Get a revolver. They carry more powerful cartridges and are less likely to have jamming issues unlike slide guns. They are simpler to use and don't leave brass casings everywhere when fired. If loading speed is an issue just get moonclips so you can fast dump cartridges and stick a full set in just as fast. You can choose less powerful cartridges for revolvers as well if kick scares you. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a .38 special. Don't worry much about ammo capacity. In most self defense situations, if you don't have the attacker dead in the first six shots you're toast. Barely more than that being shot off is very unlikely.

Pay close attention in your carry classes. Don't be afraid to make a decision when the teacher throws a scenario at you. Freezing up while making a decision is the worst option.

Also I recommend a ruger SP101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PGOyvafwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44ifYQ8jSU
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:22:34 PM by Tayasaurus »

Get a revolver. They carry more powerful cartridges and are less likely to have jamming issues unlike slide guns. They are simpler to use and don't leave brass casings everywhere when fired. If loading speed is an issue just get moonclips so you can fast dump cartridges and stick a full set in just as fast. You can choose less powerful cartridges for revolvers as well if kick scares you. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a .38 special. Don't worry much about ammo capacity. In most self defense situations, if you don't have the attacker dead in the first six shots you're toast. Barely more than that being shot off is very unlikely.

Pay close attention in your carry classes. Don't be afraid to make a decision when the teacher throws a scenario at you. Freezing up while making a decision is the worst option.
pecon didn't want a gun with big kick but yeah a revolver is probably my recommendation too, even though i'm not really a fan of short barreled revolvers

i don't know any good cc revolvers than what i said in an earlier post tho
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:26:15 PM by kongo »

revolvers are good guns and all but it doesn't teach you anything outside of it because theyre so simple
you could know how to disassemble one with your eyes closed but you still don't know stuff about a semi-auto pistol

revolvers are good guns and all but it doesn't teach you anything outside of it because theyre so simple
you could know how to disassemble one with your eyes closed but you still don't know stuff about a semi-auto pistol
Revolvers are more meant to be a gateway. I'm speaking in practicality of self defense. A slide gun is just as good in a lot of areas but OP makes it sound like he wants to dip his toes in first to test the water.

i would imagine a concealed carry class would at least show you how to take care of the gun they use, and for their first gun having one that's easy to clean would be better than going straight into something more complicated

this thread is for americans ONLY

What I've been looking at as a likely option so far has been the Ruger LCP since it seems like the right size for my hand (as well as I can tell without actually holding one), cheap, and the 380 ammo has very little recoil. Any thoughts on that specifically?

Also I'm probably not going to be going for a revolver, mostly for practicality reasons (and they probably will tend to have more recoil than I'd like).

i personally reccomend a glockteen eleven, it shoots 9 millelitre assault clipazines at about 60 cartridges per minute.

Light and thin are the qualities you wanna look for in a carry pistol. Anything too bulky or too heavy is gonna be awkward to carry.

But definitely ask questions when you're browsing. The people running gun stores usually know what they're talking about.

disagree

if OP wants less violent recoil then a heavier pistol's better

I hear they have good target practice over in the middle-east if you're looking for classes

What I've been looking at as a likely option so far has been the Ruger LCP since it seems like the right size for my hand (as well as I can tell without actually holding one), cheap, and the 380 ammo has very little recoil. Any thoughts on that specifically?
suck it losers i got the big money suggestion

i haven't used the lcp specifically but i've been happy with the rugers i've used, and the lcp has good reviews. i guess it's actually a pretty good semi-auto to start with because it only splits into 5 parts when you take it apart for cleaning so you're not gonna be fumbling around with it

here's hickrooster45's video on it

I recommend a glock for learning and self-defense, then a shotgun for anything else like hunting.

To be honest, the biggest advice for gun users is "What are you going to do with it?"

22 short and long firearms are ideal for self defense and practice. The ammunition costs like 15 cents per bullet (20-30 long rifle) though there was a shortage recently on the latter. If you want to invest a little more, federal sells 22lr bulk, 5000 rounds for $300, which is 16 cents per round

Stopping power isn't actually as important because your goal is to incapacitate the intruder, not kill them. In the end the difference between .38 special and .22 lr is how long it will take the intruder to recover in the hospital, but in an actual firefight they both have the same chance to incapacitate (60%) on chest level or higher

What would really factor into incapacitation chance would be your shot placement, and most .22lr-caliber magazine fed pistols have high capacity and offer more lenience for shot placement than a 6 or 8 shot revolver of the same or larger caliber
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:20:27 PM by PhantOS »