Author Topic: Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.  (Read 36886 times)

Do any of you not realize that regulating services as utilities literally does nothing but stifle innovation, drive out any competition, and lead to stagnant prices, right?
You do realize we pay for "utilities" as a convenience, right?

I still haven't seen an example of predatory practices by internet service providers that are entirely unique to the US and would be solved in the least intrusive manner by regulating broadband as a utility.
Take a good look at Hughes Net - they were one of the first scam artists to charge for extra data, and throttling speeds once you use it all, until you buy a 'restore token'. There is a grace period between 2AM and 8AM they call "off peak" hours which allows you to not use data during that time. A total stuff scam they use to rape more $ from the consumer

Repealing Net Neutrality lets companies like comcast deliver content such as NBC news on a higher priority than other news sites since it's an owned subsidiary. Furthermore, rival companies can now "limit access" to one-another. So in theory if Comcast doesn't like a "Comcast satanic ties" page by Info Wars they can block the viewing of said web page for all of their customers - effectively reducing the amount of internet freedom you have. How could you agree with such a thing?

buhbuhbhubhubuh muh portuguese mobile phone data plans and inane theorycrafting

oh no my handicapped millennial redditor worldview is falling apart what will i doooooooo

This guy doesn't have a good grasp on reality

You do realize we pay for "utilities" as a convenience, right?
Take a good look at Hughes Net - they were one of the first scam artists to charge for extra data, and throttling speeds once you use it all, until you buy a 'restore token'. There is a grace period between 2AM and 8AM they call "off peak" hours which allows you to not use data during that time. A total stuff scam they use to rape more $ from the consumer

Repealing Net Neutrality lets companies like comcast deliver content such as NBC news on a higher priority than other news sites since it's an owned subsidiary. Furthermore, rival companies can now "limit access" to one-another. So in theory if Comcast doesn't like a "Comcast satanic ties" page by Info Wars they can block the viewing of said web page for all of their customers - effectively reducing the amount of internet freedom you have. How could you agree with such a thing?
Giving government control of broadband service through more stringent regulation wouldn't solve the problem of subpar service. It may solve price gouging, but that's quite an intrusive way to solve such a problem.

The only possible way that HughesNet could do that and not lose customers is if customers had no other option, which is hard to believe unless one lives in a VERY rural area. I personally know I live in a rural area and can pick from like 7 different ISPs. If my ISP started to pull that stuff, I'd switch providers. Problem solved.

If you honestly believe nationalizing broadband service would lead to better service at lower prices, you're sorely mistaken. Of course the market can't act properly in the case of a monopoly (your example of HughesNet's bullstuff), but giving government control over said monopoly doesn't make it any less stuffty. It may stop the stuffty price gouging, but there is no guarantee the service overall would be better or prices any lower, and HughesNet/Comcast are an extreme example of unethical practices.  

kearn is a political hipster, if the mainstream opinion is one way, he has to flip to the other side and be contrary

kearn is a political hipster, if the mainstream opinion is one way, he has to flip to the other side and be contrary

lol

you know im right when all he can say is lol

it's good when you always score "capitalist fascist" on political tests

"someone keeps laughing at me when i say things. it must be because i'm right"

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:28:15 PM by Kearn »

just goes to show that you can't trust a fascist for a rational worldview, especially when it comes to economics

I would say I'm relatively centrist with the exception of fiscal policy

heres how implementing communism will work this time

banning the opposition and having a one party state is the most efficient way to govern. no need to worry about elections anymore, so now their full focus can be on liberating the people of venezuela from the oppressions of money and toilet paper

but muh free market!!!111