[~New Builds~] Saving Blockland | Our Survival Guide

Author Topic: [~New Builds~] Saving Blockland | Our Survival Guide  (Read 10652 times)

I thought blockland was already dead... It died like 40 times already.
rip blockland <has funeral>
EDIT: It died like *41 times already.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:17:12 PM by soldier101@ »

rip blockland <has funeral>

you better change the file host before the links themselves die

you better change the file host before the links themselves die
What?
Dropbox has always worked fine, what are you talking about?

While Blockland Glass and DAProgs RTB mirror have been around for a while, there are some add-ons that only have a presence on the forums, and as such are harder to find/even know that they exist. ►►►COMPLETE AND CATEGORIZED LIST OF ADD-ONS !CLOA! should help in finding add-ons with only a forum presence, however it is now outdated (last updated May 28, 2015). Additionally, add-on download links break over time for various reasons; someone willing to upload add-ons they have collected over the years could help find add-ons that would otherwise be lost in time.

Lastly, the shear amount of add-ons out there could be off putting considering how time consuming downloading and installing them would be to someone not really too into the game; blockland glass definitely is a must have for new users to easily download add-ons and hook them long enough to bother with the other add-on collections.
i think an issue with blockland glass currently (not the fault of the glass devs) is with how few add-ons there are on the platform. i'll go on different sections, and either they have no add-ons at all, or only have a few. compare this to the many, many add-ons made for the game.

I think one of the biggest issues Blockland has and partially the reason of its decline was its poor play in market competition.

Blockland's hayday I'd say was around 2007 to 2011 give or take, which Blockland had very little market competition when it came to sandbox games. Its only major competitor was Roblox, which in comparison was a behemoth which nonetheless Blockland performed quite well against. But now there are plenty more sandbox games people can choose from, many of which might be capable of doing everything that Blockland can do, but the stuff they can do are done much better than Blockland does. Because of that the game has to compete with the likes of Minecraft, Rust, ARK, etc.

Call it apples and oranges as much as you'd like- but it still doesn't change that they're all sandbox games that Blockland has ultimately lost to.

I think one place that Blockland fell in was how it was played. Blockland, in its most basic state is more like a tool than a game. I think a good way to pull in more players is to make Blockland function more like a game rather than a tool. It's not too often do you see large streamers or Youtubers building a house for 5 hours unless said process involves resource collection or fighting off players and/or monsters that want them and their house/base destroyed.

Just food for thought.

Call it apples and oranges as much as you'd like- but it still doesn't change that they're all sandbox games that Blockland has ultimately lost to.

I wouldn't consider Badspot annually pulling over 100k average a year from a lego building game to be "losing". More games with more content die in 3-4 years compared to old grand-dad blockland still chugging along after 10+ years. In the industry, you pouring your life savings into making a game and then it not selling is losing. You having a team of hundreds and your game still sucks is losing. You creating an online multiplayer game and then having no communication with your players outside of dev blogs is losing. I wouldn't consider blockland a game that "lost". It's ran it's course and that's perfectly fine. It doesn't have to keep going.  It doesn't need to stay alive like a lot of people think.

honestly i dont get why freebuild doesnt have modter enabled by default

it could make for interesting maps that starters could build maybe

also might have already been mentioned but new dup is a musthave, probably tell them to get it once they get bl to probably teach where to get addons and how to install them or something

The discord is filled with memes. How is that saving this game?

i think the roblox youtuber videos are both hurting and helping the game at the same time

Er, you're dissing rps as if Sapphire Servers doesnt exist but yeah im mostly on board

i think the roblox youtuber videos are both hurting and helping the game at the same time
Agreed. They get the game noticed but in a negative way unfortunately.

no sale this time, but still 10 bucks is really cheap compared to minecraft or the average roblox player's spendings