New Linux Thread

Author Topic: New Linux Thread  (Read 7568 times)

took me awhile to figure out how to use amdgpu on debian but i got it all working last night! really digging it coming from fedora for a few months. fedora is nice and all but it's too enterprise-y for me. debian was sorta a bitch to install because i wanted sid. i like my linux with the latest possible packages but don't want to deal with pacman CLI or aur stuff (yaourt or whatever you want to use.)

and yes, i use KDE. i really don't like gnome 3 at all. i've tried to use it so many times but i just didn't like the overall experience. i used mate for awhile on fedora (and gnome flashback) and i liked it but the UI felt old and clunky and it was time to try something new. i've used KDE in the past but that was KDE 3 and 4 days.

Linux requires you to be smarter than the average consumer, unlike Windows.

this doesn't foster a circlejerk attitude no sir

why are we arguing over computer operating systems

ive been messing with the i3 window manager for a good while now. can be a bit of a pain to customize, lol.

and yes, i use KDE. i really don't like gnome 3 at all. i've tried to use it so many times but i just didn't like the overall experience. i used mate for awhile on fedora (and gnome flashback) and i liked it but the UI felt old and clunky and it was time to try something new. i've used KDE in the past but that was KDE 3 and 4 days.
Every time I've used KDE (Trinity, 4, 5) it's had a bunch of crashing issues. I do like how the glossy theme of KDE 4 looks though.
You came into this thread with an intent to stuff everything up while playing dumb. If you're going to ignore what everyone says to you, you have no reason to be in this thread.

to be real here, i really would love to dive into distributions of linux especially debian, however i am not so sure if it's not very friendly to users like me who have a lack of knowledge for programming or scripting actually
You'll likely have to learn to use the terminal a bit if you want to try out different desktop managers, and especially if you want to use something like Arch Linux. But that's a good skill to have, so I'd use it as a learning opportunity.

i'd like to use debian but i dunno where to start really to learn more about it or how to use it. i worry a lot about loving up even at the most obvious situations with that kind of stuff
I was really worried about loving things up when I started. But as long as you're using a machine you don't rely on, there's no much to worry about. It takes some effort to damage something irreversibly. If you don't have a machine to test on, or just want to play it extra safe, just use a virtual machine. Virtual Box allows you to do a lot, while remaining pretty beginner friendly in my opinion. If you have issues, and Google doesn't help, feel free to report back here.

I apologize if I come off as a bit r/iamverysmart, but it's objectively true. Windows is designed to appeal to the average consumers, while most Linux distributions are geared toward more technically inclined users who desire more control over their system. Can you honestly look at Arch Linux and say it doesn't require more technical prowess to setup and use than Windows? And I'm not saying it's bad to not want to deal with the inner workings of your system--it takes a certain level of masochism, really. Some people just need to answer emails, use a word processor, and watch YouTube. And that's perfectly fine. All that said, there are certainly mainstream Linux distributions (offered for free if you want to try them out in Virtual Box for yourself), like Linux Mint or Elementary OS, that appeal to a less technically inclined audience.

We don't think we're smarter than you because we use Linux. Please stop projecting your insecurities onto us. If you want to have an honest, civilized discussion about the pros and cons of Linux and Windows, we're happy to oblige. Otherwise, if you just want to fling stuff at Linux users, I (honestly and unironically) recommend 4chan's Technology board.

why are we arguing over computer operating systems
It's just Red Spy and two and a half limericks being belligerent. The rest of us are just trying to talk about something that interests us.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:33:38 AM by Platypi »

Virtual Box

i actually used something like this before however i tried using it on a different windows version instead lol

maybe ill try that out with linux, it's free after all

i actually used something like this before however i tried using it on a different windows version instead lol

maybe ill try that out with linux, it's free after all
pro tip: using virtual box with linux makes itrun at like 20% speed of normal because of the elf32/64 emulation

Any Emacs users here? loving love that piece of stuff.

VIM is better go die

VIM is better go die

have you two seen the silicon valley vim over emacs bit? it's loving hysterical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoOG6ZeyUI <- if anyone hasn't seen this show here's the bit i'm talking about.

VIM is better go die

Joe's Own Editor is better than both together.

Vim and Emacs are absolute Garbahge. I use mostly notepad and wordpad mostly because the interface isnt godawful and its easy to use. I dont really care about shortcuts and addons when you can just use the power of Control + X.

Vim and Emacs are absolute Garbahge. I use mostly notepad and wordpad mostly because the interface isnt godawful and its easy to use. I dont really care about shortcuts and addons when you can just use the power of Control + X.
"Linux Thread", not "Windows Thread".