New Linux Thread

Author Topic: New Linux Thread  (Read 7787 times)

for like the 6 games you can run on it

"what do you mean linux isn't built for games???"

"the forget is a dual-boot???"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:19:20 PM by Køtt »

for like the 6 games you can run on it
That isn't what I was referring to but oke

When I mentioned the University having 3 different boot options I thought it would give away that it is good for application testing

I'm planning to use Sparky Linux gameover on a USB stick

USB to run a system sounds really slow to me lol

depends on what kind of external drive and what is you’re running, but im guessing whatever it is coolguys using probably isn’t near as resource intensive as say, windows 10 or osx, so it’ll probably perform fine and not kill his usb that fast

I prefer using windows because of two reasons.

1) Alot of games only support windows.

2) Every linux distro ive used is godawful and suffers from different sorts of issues (Lag, the UI is absolute garbage, nothing runs for absolutely no reason) That said, i have barely used any distros and it maybe just an issue with my setups.

Actually not, you can load the OS in the RAM as well as the LiveCDs do. Of course the OS may be slow when it comes to related Storage I/O operations.

1) Alot of games only support windows.

2) Every linux distro ive used is godawful and suffers from different sorts of issues (Lag, the UI is absolute garbage, nothing runs for absolutely no reason) That said, i have barely used any distros and it maybe just an issue with my setups.
did you run it in a virtual machine
because if you did
you're a dumb

ubuntu is ok i guess and i use it but windows would be preferable but i cant install it because my comp's partitions are weird
Can't install Windows or Ubuntu? Either way, it shouldn't be a problem for either, as both have the option to re-partition your harddrive. Perhaps you mean you're having problems with UEFI? I know I have.

i run arch only because im too lazy/dont even have enough money (lol) to buy doors
Uhm... Arch isn't exactly a lazy man's operating system. Cheap, sure. But not lazy.

EDIT: also i3WM is better than anything else
Awesome WM is my favorite. I like its minimalism and efficiency.

Glad the university has 3 boot options (iOS, Windows, Linux)
Mine has Windows and macOS. So far, the only university computers I've seen that run Linux are one research lab (unfortunately not the one I'm in) and that of an IT staff. It's a tad shameful, honestly, considering how good our CS department is.

...microsoft literally tells you that they gather your information for ad purposes/customer data. while you can disable some of it in options, you actually have to change registry entries for others
I feel like he's just being willfully ignorant (and self-destructively so) for the sake of winning an argument. Anyone who knows even the smallest bit about InfoSec should be familiar with this stuff. I've noticed this is quite common of staunchly anti-Linux proponents. Their arguments usually devolve into calling Linux users "paranoid hipsters".

arch is awesome but it sucks compared to fedora or debian. i've used arch on and off for YEARS and i love pacman and how you can literally build anything for it with the AUR but i've been fickle with it.

i'm trying to install debian because forget ubuntu (they just pulled 17.10 because it bricks lenovo laptops) on my thinkpad as we speak. coming from fedora 27.
Arch Linux for life.

But for reals, Debian is the obvious winner when it comes to server OSs, hands down.

This just sounds like inexperience. Linux requires you to be smarter than the average consumer, unlike Windows. You have to learn how to fix problems yourself, which usually just means using Google (it's not that hard, really). This is a good skill to learn. In Windows, things tend to run better out of the box. But when something goes wrong underneath, you are left in high waters due to Window's obfuscation of its inner workings and your lack of experience solving such problems (which is a direct result of the former). In other words, Linux works with you while Windows works in spite of you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:31:23 AM by Platypi »

Keep In Mind. I ONLY use ARCH LINUX. *wink wink while holding my bucket of reddit gold* ;)

to be real here, i really would love to dive into distributions of linux especially debian, however i am not so sure if it's not very friendly to users like me who have a lack of knowledge for programming or scripting actually
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:52:37 AM by Køtt »

Keep In Mind. I ONLY use ARCH LINUX. *wink wink while holding my bucket of reddit gold* ;)

to be real here, i really would love to dive into distributions of linux especially debian, however i am not so sure if it's not very friendly to users like me who have a lack of knowledge for programming or scripting actually
its not that difficult, and doesn't really require any knowledge in programming or scripting just for casual use (wine, what you use to run an exe on linux, is relatively simple and has hundreds of docs/videos). if you want to use it for projects (web servers, break boxes, etc) youll obv need to have knowledge in those areas and be able to apply them

like redgaijin says; its not difficult to use o na casual basis but if you want to use gentoo/arch youll have to learn a little bit about how linux actually works because the installation process is just "heres a bare bone gnu/linux build it yourself" kind of deal

i'd like to use debian but i dunno where to start really to learn more about it or how to use it. i worry a lot about loving up even at the most obvious situations with that kind of stuff