New Linux Thread

Author Topic: New Linux Thread  (Read 7566 times)

i think the real reason d uses linux is because he has no game so he wants an os with no games

the only people that i know use linux are homoloveuals

imagine being this mad about a game you don't like
Linux is a fine OS, I'll stick to Windows 10 though. Especially because all of the "ads" you whine about, can be disabled both through the default Windows settings, and through 3rd party software.
I'd say it's more about the principle. Open source software by it's nature is more democratic, while proprietary software only cares about people insofar as they can use them to turn a profit (not saying capitalism is inherently bad).

the only ads i see are in the home button
Yeah, I'd rather not see ads at all, especially if I'm already paying for an OS. And as far as "just turning them off", see above.

the problem is d is a massively loving paranoid
I'd say a little paranoia is justified. It's pretty much the norm for companies to sell off your data to advertisers nowadays. I believe companies like Microsoft (and Alphabet, and Apple, and Amazon, etc.) only act in their own self-interest. While that manifests itself in ways that are relatively harmless right now (relatively), I'd rather do what I can to ensure my family and I rely on these companies as little as possible should things amp up in a few decades. That's not even to mention the increased security risk of using Windows in a more general sense (more people use it, so more attacks are aimed at it; it's that simple). It's hard to be too cautious in a world where we rely on electronics more and more every day. We build fences around our homes and lock our doors. Why not protect your digital self, too?

If you think this is "massively paranoid", you obviously don't know the extents of paranoia. Reading up on flat earthers or almost any other online conspiracy group might help you gain some perspective.

the only people that i know use linux are homoloveuals
I would say this should't be generalized, but I didn't start loving men until after I started using Linux, so...

But real talk, you tend to find a lot more queer people in tech communities. The tech world, surprise surprise, is full of nerds and social rejects. Queers tend to fall into that category, so they gravitate toward these circles.

i think the real reason d uses linux is because he has no game so he wants an os with no games
It's called dual booting. I've been dual booting ever since I started using Linux. Most Linux users who game concede that Windows is a necessary "evil" ("evil" feels a tad hyperbolic to me) for running games at full performance. It's not because games developed for Linux are slower, but because most games aren't developed for Linux in the first place, and hence require virtual machines (like Virtual Box) or a compatibility layer (like Wine), which add an extra layer of computation.

Also, my primary distributions are Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Debian if anyone gives a stuff.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:38:41 AM by Platypi »

the only linux system i use is manjaro

double i3wm+arch setup :D
desktop
laptop

ubuntu is ok i guess and i use it but windows would be preferable but i cant install it because my comp's partitions are weird

i run arch only because im too lazy/dont even have enough money (lol) to buy doors

EDIT: also i3WM is better than anything else

Glad the university has 3 boot options (iOS, Windows, Linux)

i run arch only because im too lazy/dont even have enough money (lol) to buy doors

EDIT: also i3WM is better than anything else
i3+i3blocks
then we're talking
default i3 sucks poo poo

Glad the university has 3 boot options (iOS, Windows, Linux)
wat

the problem is d is a massively loving paranoid
...microsoft literally tells you that they gather your information for ad purposes/customer data. while you can disable some of it in options, you actually have to change registry entries for others