New Linux Thread

Author Topic: New Linux Thread  (Read 7571 times)

Linux / GNU/Linux

What is Linux?
Linux (or GNU/Linux interchangeably) is an operating system that is free (as in freedom and most of the time price as well) and open-source.
Linux on Wikipedia

Advantages of Linux over Windows
Windows - Linux
Adware, malware, spyware, etc pre-installed on all devices (see this link) - Most distributions allow you to choose literally everything you want to install, and with Linux being open source any spyware installed on a distribution (there is none in the first place) can be removed by yourself or others

Closed source - Free and open source

Limited customization with third-party programs or not - Literally everything is customizable by the user

Retails for >$100 - Majority of distributions are free

Notable distributions

Chrome OS and Android

Ubuntu

Fedora and Red Hat

Arch Linux

This thread is for Linux discussion, questions, etc.

holy stuff you got so salty you made an entire thread

holy stuff you got so salty you made an entire thread
No the discussion just reminded me to create a new Linux thread after the other one got too old.

How does it feel to run an operating system that retails for ~$100 that still puts ads, spyware, and Candy Crush all over your computer?

Linux is a fine OS, I'll stick to Windows 10 though. Especially because all of the "ads" you whine about, can be disabled both through the default Windows settings, and through 3rd party software.

imagine being this mad about a game you don't like
Imagine paying 100 dollars for ads to be installed on your computer by default.
Linux is a fine OS, I'll stick to Windows 10 though. Especially because all of the "ads" you whine about, can be disabled both through the default Windows settings, and through 3rd party software.
Read the links I just posted.

Imagine paying 100 dollars for ads to be installed on your computer by default.

the only ads i see are in the home button

Read the links I just posted.
I'm not denying the ads exist, I'm saying you can disable most if not all of them. I'm not a paranoid forget so I legit don't care if there's an ad or not, I have the mental capacity to know how to ignore, and or disable it.

I'm not denying the ads exist, I'm saying you can disable most if not all of them. I'm not a paranoid forget so I legit don't care if there's an ad or not, I have the mental capacity to know how to ignore, and or disable it.

the problem is d is a massively loving paranoid

the problem is d is a massively loving paranoid
I just said "Read the links I posted". The other ones that aren't all about ads:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29#Companies
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Is not a penguin - Is a penguin

I just said "Read the links I posted". The other ones that aren't all about ads:
Again, I don't care what """malware""" is """inside""" of Windows, I've disabled every ad related option there is. I'm not denying it's there, I'm saying I don't care, and you can disable all of it.

Plus a lot of my uses and programs aren't compatible on Linux, so there's no real need for me to use it aside from le aesthetics.

Also, why didn't you list any cons to Linux? If you want this to be a factual thread and OP, you need to provide them, otherwise you're just shoving a bias.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:00:45 AM by Insert Name Here² »

ucuntu? with the friend penguin? that operating system?