Borderlands 3 Badass-thread [Gameplay reveal live now] [September 13th]

Author Topic: Borderlands 3 Badass-thread [Gameplay reveal live now] [September 13th]  (Read 7403 times)

if you like borderlands you probably like anthem and destiny and warframe so by proxy your opinions are automatically invalidated. anyone who enjoys looter shooters are literally insane. and by literally i mean literally. you literally enjoy doing the same thing over and over again with absolutely no change in between

borderlands loving sucks. you can't put a quirky unique story over a repetitive boring game loop. you either make the former and release tales from the borderlands, an actually good game, or you make the latter and release anthem/destiny/gamewith3000000differentgunsthatareallvirtuallythesameinfunction or whatever counts as a good shooter these days
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:30:50 PM by PhantOS »

vault hunter brothers be like "oh man i can't wait to spend 20 hours picking up guns that are 1% better than the last one i picked up and shooting enemies that have 1% more health than the last enemy i killed"

imagine unironically enjoying borderlands
probably because we're talking about another loving borderlands game. much similar to another call of duty game or another destiny game or another assassin's creed game, the only valid response you can give to another borderlands game is "wow, another borderlands game". if you've played the first one, you've played the second and third one. and the fourth. and the new one. and every subsequent sequel because every iteration of the franchise is identical to the last.
if you like borderlands you probably like anthem and destiny and warframe so by proxy your opinions are automatically invalidated. anyone who enjoys looter shooters are literally insane. and by literally i mean literally. you literally enjoy doing the same thing over and over again with absolutely no change in between

borderlands loving sucks. you can't put a quirky unique story over a repetitive boring game loop. you either make the former and release tales from the borderlands, an actually good game, or you make the latter and release anthem/destiny/gamewith3000000differentgunsthatareallvirtuallythesameinfunction or whatever counts as a good shooter these days
Even funnier the third time! Thank you, PhantOS, very cool!

Even funnier the third time! Thank you, PhantOS, very cool!
hes talkin about a game he doesnt like whats wrong with that dude

once again, big brain phantos describes how it is impossible for people to like a game and anyone that likes said game is a complete idiot for liking it
hes talkin about a game he doesnt like whats wrong with that dude
it's fine if he doesn't like a game and he explains his opinion but there's no need to be all like "if you like this game you are an idiot"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:48:30 PM by Mr Queeba »

"if you like this game you are an idiot"
this but unironically. statistically anyone who enjoys repetitive video games such as pokemon, destiny, borderlands, jrps, city rpg gamemodes and stuff like that are actually loving handicapped

but there's no need to be all like "if you like this game you are an idiot"
In three posts

In three posts
you're right every game on the planet is infallible and has zero flaws and deserves a perfect 100/100 score on metacritic and everyone should waste $59.99 USD on them because they're totally not loving terrible and absolutely not an unchanged clone of the last one

There's enough discrepancy between the first game and the second game to warrant a playthrough.

probably because we're talking about another loving borderlands game. much similar to another call of duty game or another destiny game or another assassin's creed game, the only valid response you can give to another borderlands game is "wow, another borderlands game". if you've played the first one, you've played the second and third one. and the fourth. and the new one. and every subsequent sequel because every iteration of the franchise is identical to the last.
:3

Unfortunate that some of you guys don't enjoy the game series

I've got about 209 hours right now and have been replaying the game on UVHM and OP with a buddy. We use the Community Patch so weapon drops are slightly more common but it doesn't quite differ from the usual experience, the grinding for legendary drops is still there.
Grinding in games like this is obviously repetitive but I grew up with repetitive games, just look at this MMOhut article of my favorite childhood game, it blows. This friend and I played tons of waveshooters like CoD zombies and Payday which is very grindy too, the same maps, enemies and guns.

I grind for guns in my own time or with my friend there, and it's really fun to me because it feels like I'm working for something, I'm getting this weapon I need to continue our playthrough and not to mention it's an incredibly fun and unique weapon to use most of the time too (along with the characters who share the same diversity (except gaige)). And of course I'm watching a show or movie or am talking to someone while grinding for this stuff.

I agree it is the same gameplay loop but the grinding for gear gameplay loop is one i really enjoy and if you saw my posts in the Apex thread about cosmetics in trade for time instead of money, you already know that.

I also think the art style is beautiful and as game developer and game fan I want to support co-op games, especially co-op games like Borderlands that are not 'always-online' and even allow you to use software to edit your savefile for guns or mods in general.

It basically comes down to different people like different things. For example, I do not enjoy RDR1 or 2, it really bores me, I'd rather play a walking simulator or be playing the same gameplay loop for 3 hours, which I actually did last Sunday, I killed the same 20 enemies on Wam Bam Island in Borderlands 2 without getting the item drop and it felt kinda stuff at the time but it will make it even better when the weapon does drop.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:50:36 AM by sleep »

it really just mystifies me. you aren't actually improving at all because when you find a new gun in borderlands with 1+ more damage than your last gun it feels like you're improving but as soon as you use it for 5 minutes all the enemies now gain 10+ more health so it becomes just as useless as your last gun. borderlands is structured in such a way that you never actually get better at the game. if you stripped away all the leveling and you and all the enemies stayed level 1 for the entire game it would literally be no different than if you had levels in it in the first place. the only difference is that instead of dealing 20 damage you'd be dealing like 214712 damage or some insanely arbitrary and completely meaningless number.

if you look at a game like half life or zelda you actually progress in the game. you unlock new meaningful abilities that give you room to explore the game's world in new ways and solve challenges in different ways than before. you never deal more damage or the enemies don't gain more health; they just have new unique patterns that you have to learn and that test how you use the game's mechanics. there are so many games like this that employ good game design and looter shooters basically try to avoid any form of unique gameplay mechanisms in favor of artificial numbers and grinding.

borderlands has skill trees which offer some slightly unique mechanics and that's as far as they touch in the entire game. and sadly you can only use these new mechanics once every 2 minutes or whatever bullstuff cooldown they give you

that's a big misinformed paragraph there, it shows clear signs of you not having played through UVHM or beyond a first playthrough at all, which really makes me not want to continue this argument because there would be no point when all you have is bare bones experience.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:43:10 AM by sleep »

i mean if you honestly enjoy that type of game who am i to stop you from playing it

i didnt ask for your approval and I actually think you don't know enough about this game to make three posts in a row dissing it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:51:14 AM by sleep »

that's a big misinformed paragraph there, it shows clear signs of you not having played through UVHM or beyond a first playthrough at all, which really makes me not want to continue this argument because there would be no point when all you have is bare bones experience.
but i did? i beat borderlands 2 twice so far once solo and once with a friend. the new game+ is a good addition but its really just subtle changes to gameplay. like the only thing i actually liked was how i could switch weapons faster which was great on gunzerker.

what i dont think you understand is that borderland's problem is deeper than all the superficial number tweaks and subtle legendary enemy chances and other stuff like that. its the sacrifice of meaningful solid mechanics in exchange for massive content variety. you already said that you enjoy grinding for items so it's not like the mind numbingly boring game loop is ever going to phase you at all. as long as there's a new type of item that you can pick up thats slightly different from the last in any way then the game is fun or something because its being changed or your progressing

what stays true throughout the game is that you don't mechanically progress. you're never actually given a challenge that requires you to use your understanding of the game to solve. the dominant strategy is to spend x minutes leveling up goliaths so you can farm xp so you can beat that boss that's 3 levels above you and that's it for the entire game. the steps you take to defeat the first boss and the last boss and that bigass loving terriblemorphus worm or whatever are exactly the same: level up. the key to victory in borderlands isn't your understanding of the game or some cool unique mechanic they threw in, its just time. you input time into the game and it outputs progression and that's actually the only requirement to beat the game

i dont know what i said that led you to believe that i didn't 'get the full borderlands experience' but i can assure you that i definitely did. i have like 60 hours on pc and on my xbox account i have like 82% achievement completion. ive definitely had my fair share of repetitive loot n shoot games
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:08:30 AM by PhantOS »