I don't see anything wrong with brickadia, why the hate?

Author Topic: I don't see anything wrong with brickadia, why the hate?  (Read 17823 times)

Quite ironic, if you think about it now. To all the people that were the very first in the front to favor the change/update of Blockland removing interiors and
terrain: So, what about now, lads? Still got the enthusiasm for another change, like, let's say Brickadia? No? Thought so.
That's because it was still Blockland, just better. The daycycle opened up new possibilities for gamemodes (ex: solar apoc)

it wasn't a completely new game with different hotkeys and controls etc

I think people are lazy and didn't want to build their own maps.

I built that toystore with modter bricks and packaged it in a gamemode.

So making your own maps can be done like that, people are loving lazy

does brickadaia haved modter or placable water

I think people are lazy and didn't want to build their own maps.

I built that toystore with modter bricks and packaged it in a gamemode.

So making your own maps can be done like that, people are loving lazy
ah so making/modelling interiors and torque maps isn't difficult at all?
you building and packaging your toystore is extremely similar to people modelling and packaging maps back in the day. it's just that now in v21 "maps" run so much slower, lack any real texturing and lack any lighting. plus all previous efforts people put into their maps (some people put a lot of effort into their maps) were suddenly thrown away with no foreseeable way of them returning. its pretty clear why people hated (and some still hate) v21

ah so making/modelling interiors and torque maps isn't difficult at all?
you building and packaging your toystore is extremely similar to people modelling and packaging maps back in the day. it's just that now in v21 "maps" run so much slower, lack any real texturing and lack any lighting. plus all previous efforts people put into their maps (some people put a lot of effort into their maps) were suddenly thrown away with no foreseeable way of them returning. its pretty clear why people hated (and some still hate) v21
Most players that hate v21 never modeled a map in their life. I think v21 was a great update because it shifted the focus from half-assed splerg fests in maps like bedroom and actually forced people to actually build maps, which turn out looking better than interiors and terrain anyway. There is even a great terrain generator by GSF-Ghost, who made plenty of cool maps but decided to be productive after the fact instead of whining like a child.

There was nothing wrong with maps, why must we keep coming back to this same debate?

Most servers started using Slate anyway, so it's no different than how we've been playing since v21, but maps were something for those who either didn't feel like building an entire map, or just wanted to immediately jump into an environment and play around in it, and there's nothing wrong or lazy with that

I think v21 was a great update because it shifted the focus from half-assed splerg fests in maps like bedroom and actually forced people to actually build maps,
i think you're entirely forgetting that people still downloaded brick maps (most commonly ive seen brick-bedroom) and just used them to host servers on. this hasn't changed from v20 to v21, it still happens.
actually forced people to actually build maps, which turn out looking better than interiors and terrain anyway.
i literally just explained why they look worse then v20s maps but okay ignore if you want
There is even a great terrain generator by GSF-Ghost, who made plenty of cool maps
thats a great terrain generator but it's not infinite, its difficult to ride vehicles on it and is way more performance heavy then v20's simple terrain.

so they look worsed because they Don have textuers..... ? Or pre baked light ing?

cant achieve the level of design, repeatable terrain, and detail maps had with purely bricks, let alone the performance cost of doing it with bricks. for example: mikes house, autumn pond, slopes.

forced people to actually build maps

I never understood the mental back flip you have to do to get to this point. Why are we forcing anyone to do anything? It's a creative game, people should be free to play how they want. Brick terrain has basically no benefits over regular terrain. Brick collision, even with mod-ter, is embarrassingly unreliable. Goodbye skiing gamemodes forever, right off the bat. It's harder to save and load, it runs terribly, it requires excessive amounts of time and effort to create, and ultimately looks like garbage anyway, far worse than regular terrain even with all it's graphical shortcomings. Most servers may of ran on slate back in the day but nobody was making terrain builds on slate while actual terrain was available.

I don't know why people are still arguing over the interiors/terrain thing.  It's blatantly clear to anyone with a brain that the shadows and shaders update was nothing more than a failed attempt by badspot to sell more copies of the game.  He even said so himself.

All the fluffed up marketing talk about how it'll bring updates quicker, how interiors and terrain were outdated anyway, etc. was just that: marketing talk.  Many of us fell for it - I did at the time.  Not to mention the insistent brow-beating people got over daring to bring up counter-arguments (me no like change, etc. etc.), much of it from badspot himself, calling people who didn't like the update manchildren and other insults.  I mean that's typical badspot, but he's continued to do it long after the update became old news.

It's just amusing that even when the game is on its deathbed people are arguing over whether an update that removed major features of the engine (because the developer didn't want to figure out how to integrate them with the new lighting or produce viable alternatives) was a good idea or not.  It was an attempt to get the game to sell better.  Get this in your head.  The fact that people are still fighting over this using badspot's exhausted talking points just shows how effective it all was.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:59:38 PM by Electrk.. »

Most servers may of ran on slate back in the day but nobody was making terrain builds on slate while actual terrain was available.

Some of the best brick terrain builds I've seen were built in V8.

i'd jump ship to brickadia.
i've had my fun with blockland, i've met a lot of good people during my time here, but sadly i don't talk to anyone of them anymore. last time i spoke to flubbman was almost half a decade ago (oof) and he's gone silent. i wonder if he'll read this message, i think he just lurks on the forums occasionally like i do.

i never really liked the shader update, i was apposed to it because at the time i liked the exploration of maps, plus my computer was god-awful even for 2011 standards (more like 2003 standards for an "office" computer) so shaders would run awfully.
brickadia looks promising, hopefully reviving what we were once promised or speculated after what would come after the shaders update of 2012.

maybe it'll encourage people to come back to try out brickadia. who knows.
i wanna explore those big-ass island city maps again, hoping that someone would host a large-scale objective based military themed team deathmatch with realistic looking weaponry and vehicles like gravity cat did but on brickadia.

needless to say, that was probably the best $20 i've spent, i think i must had gotten well over 3 thousand hours playing blockland since 2009.