What has happened to this game?!

Author Topic: What has happened to this game?!  (Read 12139 times)

Hey there,

I've been a long time user of Blockland, in fact, I started playing back around 2008, then bought the game in 2010. Been curious as to what is going on these days with this game. I'm just shocked as to why the game is being poorly supported, and as a result the community is now hanging by its last thread before falling into extinction.

So wanna call out Badspot and ask. What is going on? You've made a game that clearly was extremely successful and you just suddenly stop giving it updates? Here's the thing, this game might potentially be the greatest thing in your game development career, so why bin it off? Why just leave it to rot and die?

With that said, I think I speak for many that Blockland needs the following:
 • A huge revamp update.

Yep, that's all this game needs.

So in this update we'll get:
 • New graphical user interface inspired by the old interfaces.
 • Better rendering.
 • Slightly improved character models.
 • Better support for add-ons, and for add on creators.
 • New real-time ray-tracing support (RTX for example)
 • Overall, the game could make use of the power of modern hardware to improve in all areas.
 • A ton of enhancements to the user experience with an integrated friends list etc...

Now please Badspot, or any devs reading this. Don't let this game go. It's been a childhood game for many, and it would be amazing if it could just simply continue and heck maybe if I have kids, they'll be able to call this a childhood favourite as well.

Also P.S. the Mac version is no longer supported, so the game officially died with macOS Catalina for me. This is not how I wished to see this game die.

i dont think this is the type of game to look like mmod. if you're looking for pretty graphics, go play brickadia or some stuff

sorey you feel that way bud

I mean to be fair, this game is like officially 13 years old and has been in development longer than that.

Now you and I both know Blockland is made by a 1 man team and is not gaining money like minecraft and roblox.

So it's clearly obvious why this game is the way it is right now lol

You can only accomplish so much with the Torque engine. Put into that context, Blockland is a marvel. Let it go, the game had its time.

do you REALLY want badspot to 'modernize' the game again lol? remember what happened last time? we lost like half the game

If you want blockland modernized then all add-ons will be lost lol

it would require a new engine.

lest we forget the great matt vorn

So wanna call out Badspot and ask. What is going on? You've made a game that clearly was extremely successful
i think the statement "this game is clearly extremely successful" is highly disputable considering the fact badspot has explicitly stated sales of the game + ads barely pay for running this forum or something

Put into that context, Blockland is a marvel. Let it go, the game had its time.
easier to say than do

easier to say than do
Sorry excuse. It is ridiculous that people are still whining for Badspot to update the game, give the guy a break. A lot of the time, the people complaining haven't even played the game regularly in years and likely would find something to complain about even if an update did roll out. They aren't helping anything. Meanwhile, there are people working on a spiritual successor for Blockland with a game engine with more flexibility, that will improve upon the original concept. It seems natural that the people actually interested in the game will get their fix, it is only a matter of time. If you want Blockland, loving play it. It is done.

a spiritual successor for Blockland with a game engine with more flexibility,
yeah... about that

i think the statement "this game is clearly extremely successful" is highly disputable considering the fact badspot has explicitly stated sales of the game + ads barely pay for running this forum or something

But the game has over 20k sales so it's made over 200k before tax and expenses.

Sorry excuse. It is ridiculous that people are still whining for Badspot to update the game, give the guy a break. A lot of the time, the people complaining haven't even played the game regularly in years and likely would find something to complain about even if an update did roll out. They aren't helping anything. Meanwhile, there are people working on a spiritual successor for Blockland with a game engine with more flexibility, that will improve upon the original concept. It seems natural that the people actually interested in the game will get their fix, it is only a matter of time. If you want Blockland, loving play it. It is done.

I haven't played in years because a) there's not been a single update to introduce a new feature since the shaders update b) the community has been drying up and not ageing well c) there's newer games

The fact is, is that why is bad spot letting this concept go to other devs who let's be honest, can't pull off a game as good as Blockland. Bet they won't have events like in this game etc... There will honestly be a way for bad spot to get this game back on its feet and I mean the game's on bloody steam. This game has more sales than any of his others, not to mention with a modern update, or even an entirely re-developed game, this would attract newer players in the masses with the correct marketing strategy.

The marketing of block land has always been botty and made the game look really basic. When this game is pretty complex and in actual fact is highly educational as it teaches many some fundamentals of coding via the events feature.