Author Topic: How to package decals  (Read 207463 times)

Alright, but my last question still remains. Do I use the entire space to make a decal?
It depends, go into the add-ons folder and look at the ones inside Decals_Default.zip.

Need some tips

I have made a face (512x512) and its icon (64x64) and the icon appears in game but when I select the face it just appears blank

anyone got any tips

Need some tips

I have made a face (512x512) and its icon (64x64) and the icon appears in game but when I select the face it just appears blank

anyone got any tips
Make it 256x256.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:15:52 PM by CHEESE »

It worked, PERFECTLY

Thanks a heap

Need some tips

anyone got any tips

I got the same problem but when i made them 256x256 it still didnt work :/
is it possible to have it in a too huge resolution?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:55:32 PM by honytawk »

Does it stretch to all of the corners?

It fades away so technicaly no it doesnt stretch to them.

Honytawk, can you give me it in a pack? I can help through there.

How do i make a Zip.file?

For Windows: Right click on the desktop (Or anywhere else), move over "New", Click Compressed ZIP Archive/WinRAR ZIP File. That's all, then, copy the files in.

Introduction

v9 has a new add-ons system, as most of you know. In the new add-ons system, all custom content is treated as an add-on. Maps, decals, and everything else that wasn't treated as an add-on before now is.

Prints

In order to release your print, you will need to make it an add-on. You probably won't want to go through the trouble to do this for each individual print, so you should start releasing your prints in packs.

First, create a new folder. It doesn't matter what you name it.

Inside of this folder, create two files. Name one Description.txt and the other Server.cs.

Leave Server.cs blank. Prints are automatically executed so you do not need to execute anything or add any other code code. Server.cs just tells the game "Hey, this zip is an add-on, so stick it on the add-on list please!"

In description list, type:

Code: [Select]
Title: My Prints
Author: Me
Print textures for (bricktype) bricks.

Now create two more folders inside of the first. Name one icons and one prints.

Your folder should now look like this:

Copy and paste all of your printss into the prints folder. Copy and paste all of your print icons into the icons folder.

Create a new zip file. Put the icons folder, the prints folder, description.txt and server.cs into it. Now you need to name the zip file.

The naming convention is as follows Print_brick_name.zip. You always begin the file with Print_. The brick is whatever brick these prints are supposed to appear on. Here are the possible brick names for standard print bricks:

1x1 - (includes 1x1 and 4x1x4)
1x1f - (includes 1x1 tiles only)
2x2f - (includes 2x2 tiles only)
2x2r - (includes 2x2 sloped prints only)

End the file with whatever the name of your print pack is. This keeps two different print packs from overwriting eachother.

Here are some example files:

Print_2x2f_Default.zip (default 2x2f prints, you shouldn't name a file this)
Print_1x1f_ornamental_tiles.z ip (ornamental tiles for 1x1 tiles)
Print_2x2r_computers.zip (different computer screens for a 2x2 sloped brick)
Print_1x1_doorbells.zip (doorbells for 1x1 print bricks. Note you will be able to place the doorbells on 4x1x4 bricks too.
Print_1x1_posters.zip (posters for a 4x1x4 brick. You will be able to place them on 1x1 bricks too)

Upload them to a site and you are done. All people need to do to install them is drop them in their add-ons folder.

Faces and Body Decals

You probably won't want to go through the trouble to do this for each individual decal, so you should start releasing your decals in packs.

Create your decals. Create thumbnails for every decal, and put them inside of a folder called thumbs.

Select all of your decals/faces and your thumbs folder, then zip them together.

You don't need a server.cs or a desription.txt file for faces and decals. I don't know why.

The naming convention for decals is Decal_name.zip
The naming convention for faces is Face_name.zip

Here are some example files:
Decal_Default.zip (default player decals, you shouldn't name a file this)
Face_Default.zip (default face decals, you shouldn't name a file this)
Decal_Suit.zip (a suit decal)
Face_Pirate.zip (a pirate face)
Decal_Town_And_City.zip (decals from around the town, you can use underscores to seperate words in file names.

Upload them to a site and you are done. All people need to do to install them is drop them in their add-ons folder.

Troubleshooting

Q: Help, my decals/faces don't work!

A: Make sure you toggle them on in the add-ons section on the start server menu. It's easy to forget since you didn't have to do it on previous versions.

Q: They still don't work!

A: Make a folder on your desktop. Put your zipped texture pack inside the folder. Open the folder. Now extract your zipped texture pack. If it creates a new folder inside of your first filled with your textures, you packed them wrong! Blockland treats zips as folders, and if your server.cs (or in the event of face/decal packs, your texture) isn't inside of the first folder, it assumes you are trying to pull some addons/addons/addons/lol.dts crap and ignores your addon. If you extract it and your do see server.cs and your folders or your faces/decals, make sure that:

(a) Your textures are all in .png format.
(b) You didn't export them as progressive pngs.
(c) Your prints or decals are 512x512.
(d) Your icons are 64x64.
(e) Your icons and prints have the same name.

If it still doesn't work your problems are beyond the scope of this tutorial.
we have v10 now idiot

HE HAS A MACINTOSH. Macintosh uses 512x512 for faces and decals.

Randy is telling me I don't need a server.cs in my prints package, is this true, Wedge?

Randy is telling me I don't need a server.cs in my prints package, is this true, Wedge?
You do. And it must say:
//do nothing - print loading is handled automatically

You do. And it must say:
//do nothing - print loading is handled automatically
My decals work if i don't put anything in the Cs.

I figured out you need one though, without it, they failed.  Idk what is up with randy.