Author Topic: BLB Brick Format Reference  (Read 76854 times)

I love you.
Anyways, I'm trying to create a 4x4 Round Brick
(http://i2.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/57/83/8fc3_1.JPG)
How exactly do rounds work?
Would the Brick Grid be something like this?:
Code: [Select]
XuuX
XXXX
XddX

XuuX
uuuu
uuuu
XuuX

What would the quads be? What would the UV cords be? What would everything else be?

I actually made a 4x4 round not long ago. I wasn't happy with the UVs though and the normals weren't perfect. I could send it to you via PM/e-mail if you want.

EDIT: Also, there's a topic in coding help about BLBs, so you could have asked there instead.

:o no way this got stickied

Hope some one reads this.

Attempting a 2x2 L shaped brick, and plate.

How would the .BLB exactly go?
I can't make out the grid, for some reason.
2 2 3
SPECIAL

u-
x-
d-

uu
xx
dd

COVERAGE: //TBNESW
0 : 1
1 : 0
2 : 2
2 : 1
1 : 3
1 : 3

----------------top quads:
----------------bottom quads:
Could any one direct me on this?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:48:19 PM by trumpetfan »

COVERAGE

2x2ramp.blb
1 : 2
1 : 4
0 : 6
1 : 6

I am not sure what this section is for. It seems to differ between BLB files, but I don't know what purpose it is for.
The coverage is for face culling.  The first number is a true/false thing, if it's 1 it culls, if it's 0, it doesn't.  The other number is how many bricks it takes to cover that side. (in flats.)

The coverage is for face culling.  The first number is a true/false thing, if it's 1 it culls, if it's 0, it doesn't.  The other number is how many bricks it takes to cover that side. (in flats.)
Hmm... face culling.  I'ma look that up.

Ah, the proper term is occlusion culling

I'm going to try to make a 1x4x3 window :D

COVERAGE

2x2ramp.blb
1 : 6

I am not sure what this section is for. It seems to differ between BLB files, but I don't know what purpose it is for.

They're for detecting whether or not a face should show up on itself and adjacent bricks.
//TBNESW means, Top Bottom North East South West.
T being first, is the top. 1 : 2. That means the top is a scale of 1x2.
If you put a brick with the size of 1 : 2 on top, or bigger, or several smaller ones, that top part will no longer render.
A brick with a 1 : 2 bottom ontop of this brick will cause both the top of the bottom one, and the bottom of the top one to hide themselves, causing less lag.
Normal BRICKs automatically detect coverage, but this is what a 4x2 plate would look like.
4 : 2  //w : l
4 : 1  //w : h
2 : 1  //l : h

Edit: Okay... I've rarely used a modelling program...
How do I make a collision shape?
How do I get it to be the right size?

Got it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:26:47 AM by Chrono »

They're for detecting whether or not a face should show up on itself and adjacent bricks.
//TBNESW means, Top Bottom North East South West.
T being first, is the top. 1 : 2. That means the top is a scale of 1x2.
If you put a brick with the size of 1 : 2 on top, or bigger, or several smaller ones, that top part will no longer render.
A brick with a 1 : 2 bottom ontop of this brick will cause both the top of the bottom one, and the bottom of the top one to hide themselves, causing less lag.
Normal BRICKs automatically detect coverage, but this is what a 4x2 plate would look like.

Edit: Okay... I've rarely used a modelling program...
How do I make a collision shape?
How do I get it to be the right size?

Got it.

No.

The number on the left of the : is whether or not it will hide adjacent faces. The number on the right is the coverage area of an adjacent brick to hide a face on this brick. The 4x2 plate would infact look something like this:

1 : 8
1 : 8

Thanks for the clarification.

Wrote a blb and bls to obj converter:

(building from Beta City rendered in 3ds max)

Using to convert builds into dts shapes for an RTS gamemode.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:12:27 AM by Resonance_Cascade »

The shading should be the for the flat bits of the legs and the 1x1 bricks for the BLUPO sign.

The shading should be the for the flat bits of the legs and the 1x1 bricks for the BLUPO sign.

There were a few problems with the mesh and normals that stopped it being shaded/rendered correctly - take a look at the new building ;)

Yeah, that looks better.