Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3814807 times)

I have question
How do I split  a square face thing in 2 and get 2 triangles?
Because apperently lightning doesnt like squares and I have no idea what do

Most game engines will convert to tris if they don't support quads for some reason.

Your gpu only renders tris, so the engine has to convert quads to tris at some point.

Whether you're doing this during export or letting the engine handle it doesn't really matter

I have question
if you're talking about blender it's ctrl + t

first ever model :o
NO FACE (View in 3D)

wow dude s i c k

Your gpu only renders tris, so the engine has to convert quads to tris at some point.

Whether you're doing this during export or letting the engine handle it doesn't really matter
I realize this. There's just no reason to work in tris if you can work with quads instead. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

i was just using the tris as an example for touching up models before you export them to blockland but whatever quads could have worked just fine

i was just using the tris as an example for touching up models before you export them to blockland but whatever quads could have worked just fine
Oh das fine then.

if you're talking about blender it's ctrl + t
Oh really?
Thank fam

I have question
I'm assuming you're talking about Blender renders.
  • Edit mode > select all with A
  • Ctrl + E > Mark Sharp
  • Add Edge Split modifier
  • Uncheck Edge Angle
  • Select the object
  • Space > Shade Smooth

here is my attempt at the planet without andrew price's tutorial. it's not quite as nice, but I think it looks pretty nice. only things I want to do is make the vignette stronger and move the sun closer to the earth, maybe even lessen the blur on the atmosphere. but I don't feel like rerendering right now

Question, any ideas for how I can:
1) Better attach the string to the bow, I can't see to find any good way of doing it.
2) Have something "Holding" the metal plate with the spikes to the wood base. Something like string or leather. I tried a few methods and couldn't do it.

*The string attachment is temporary, but I really can't think of another way of doing it. Here's a wire frame of it:

1) Better attach the string to the bow, I can't see to find any good way of doing it.
Have you looked online how to actually string bows? Because that is exactly how you do, you're just missing the notch:

That is just one type of notch, there are loads of ways to do it.

2) Have something "Holding" the metal plate with the spikes to the wood base. Something like string or leather. I tried a few methods and couldn't do it.
Realistically speaking there shouldn't be anything more holding the spike plate the the bow because the metal would not bend. Bows do:

Yes the spike plate is highly unrealistic but it's fine. Just keep it as is, attached at the handle

Just add the notch and you're done.

does anyone have experience with maya
i'm at my wits end trying to do something incredibly simple like divide a face into loving subsections. also the isometric/orthographic controls are godawful compared to blender - doesn't seem like it can smoothly rotate the view in said mode.

so far the only thing i've really appreciated is that i can delete edges and it will automerge faces, but that's little comfort.

so far the only thing i've really appreciated is that i can delete edges and it will automerge faces, but that's little comfort.
Select edge > X > Dissolve Edges in Blender.