Nintendo: “We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest”

Author Topic: Nintendo: “We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest”  (Read 2259 times)

Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime doesn’t feel that used games are “in the best interest of the consumer”.During an interview with VentureBeat, NoA chief said that consumers are more interested in games they can “hold on to”.“More and more retailers are experimenting with the used game model. We don’t believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer,” said Reggie. “We have products that consumers want to hold onto. They want to play all of the levels of a Zelda game and unlock all of the levels. A game like Personal Trainer Cooking has a long life. We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest.”He went on to point out that other used markets such as books, CDs and DVDs have never really taken off. He said the used game market will suffer the same fate.“Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market,” he continued. “Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs. Why? The consumer likes having a brand-new experience and reliving it over and over again.“If you create the right type of experience, that also happens in video games.”
I wonder what they're trying to tell me...

Haha, yes I do

Idiot. You get a "new" experience, regardless of whether it's used or not.

I don't like used games :(

I like getting it brand new and shiny

Notice the name "Reggie" in it.

do like getting cheap games even if they are used

like yesterday i got pc mass effect for £4.99, i got it even though i know it would run slowly :D

If Nintendo ever trys to stop the resale of their products I am going to be pissed off. For me, I only buy new if I can't buy used. why would you want to pay for the same game just so you can get it with out a slightly torn label or with the instruction manual? It's not like I ever look at those things anyway. When I go to Gamestop I usually trade in things and buy used games. Maybe if it's a used console or controller I would think about buying new but games?

im getting a free used game :D

I send snot a link to where i got it but no :(

Before I buy a used game, I always ask "May I please see the disc before I buy it?". If they give it to me and it looks like it would run, I'd buy it.
If it looks able to run but laggy/ withgraphical errors/looks like it won't run at all, I don't buy it.
If they refuse to hand the disc over, or even hold it up for me to look at it, I don't buy it.

Although, I buy every PC game new, both because it's cheaper than used copies at local Gamestops/Craigslist/Ebay.com, and because my PC's disc drive locked up (I use STEAM)

I buy games new because I actually want the company to turn a profit and therefore make new games.

I don't feel Gamespot, as a reseller, deserves the huge margins they earn on the used games, none of which the developer ever receives. It also amazes me that people like being ripped off by the stores selling used games, I have hardly ever seen them offering fair prices on trade-ins.

Ultimately I know that if the system allows people to be cheap, shortsighted bastards...then cheap, shortsighted bastards will continue to abuse it.

This is why we can't have nice things...

The opinion of used over new games isn't the best topic to debate. Preference is based on the type of person the user is.

If you're like me, you like having a:
brand new and shiny
game, and being able to unlock all of your achievements/levels, and still have the evidence right there on your bookshelf. Since you're not renting, you're able to play it for years to come. It's also a fun experience to wait in line for Gamestop or Target to open, and for you to rush in and get your hands on a fresh, clean copy of the game you've been waiting so long for.

Another person could say that it's fun to go to Gamestop and rummage through the big bin of game cases, and play games just for the hell of it without spending the full price. If you're renting the game, you also don't have that dead weight of a case cluttering your room, when you could just return it.

The argument is very easily biased based on personality, and there's no right or wrong side of it.

EDIT:

-snip-

Then again, you do have a really good point...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:08:43 PM by Ghoul »

I buy new but if the game is discontinued/not made any more I have to buy second hand, it can also depend on what the game is.

Essentially, you can either buy the warm fuzzy feeling and the actual object (for 40 more dollars) or a slightly less fuzzy feeling with the same object at something around 20 dollars, letting you use the remaining money to buy, oh I don't know, some loving food? 40 dollars is a week's groceries for me, that's allot of good meals. forget, I can make 5 servings of beef stew with roughly 18 dollars. 40 dollars is like 2 pots of beef stew.

Better yet, I could buy some iron spools, aluminum powder and an igniter and make loving thermite for 10 dollars. Then I could reproduce that warm fuzzy feeling with 2500+ Fahrenheit temperatures on my starfish neighbors car.

I will usually buy a new game because atleast then i can be fairly sure that its going to be in a perfect condition and work smoothly, however if i can find a good quality secondhand version of the same game i will probably buy that just for the reduced cost. Unfortuantely with my luck finding a good quality secondhand game that i want isn't likely, so the actual producers of the game will most usually get there cut of money from my sale.

I don't like used games, usually because the previous owner only returned them because they wiped their ass on it, let their dog chew up the label, put cancer cells on it, cracked the disc, and rubbed a magnate on it. I once bought a DS game for someone that really wanted, so I settled for a used copy. It was for their birthday, so I was going to wrap it, then I thought I should try it and make sure it worked before it was too late. It didn't. I looked at the cartridge, and it looked like some of the connectors were missing. I had a grand old time going back to the mall right before dinner to return the damned thing right before they closed.