Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 328062 times)

Is the IRC actually offline or is it just me?

I think a feature like that would be quite a pain for me to implement logistically. Lots of people are pretty enthusiastic about server favorites and originally I was pretty against the idea, but I will put some more thought into how I could do this.
This is possible, I've thought about making this, but it'd probably have to go by name of server host or something.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:05:55 PM by DrenDran »

I think a feature like that would be quite a pain for me to implement logistically. Lots of people are pretty enthusiastic about server favorites and originally I was pretty against the idea, but I will put some more thought into how I could do this.
Assumedly you would have it resolve a user's favourited server host BL_IDs into names and then you could simply compare those names to servers locally. If you wanted to have something like server tagging that would likely have to be handled between the server and the central RTB server, but I don't think it's necessary.

I mean not only would server tags likely be abused (morons checking every tag if it's a list or entering stuff like "AWSOME!!!" as tags if you give them a textbox) but really you should be able to look at the server yourself and see if it's the freebuild or RPG or whatever else that person hosts that you want. It's more than enough for the mod to make things easier. We don't need some nigh-self-aware AI to determine whether or not the builds on the server match a medieval theme to tell you if you want to join it or not.

Alternative thought: Badspot could (theoretically speaking) add a field to the master server output showing the host's BL_ID as well, thus finding server favourites would be really as simple as looping the servergroup to find relevant SOs and only displaying them.

Assuming the "server favorites" idea was implemented, how would a favorite be specified?

I mean, would it be like saying "Oh, I like John's servers, so tell me when he is hosting"
or
would it be more specific such as "I like John's RP server but I don't care for his freebuilds, just let me know when the RP is back up!"

Perhaps this idea demands the addition of proper tags for servers? I personally would like to see some method of filtering out certain types of servers based on tags.

Gmod does it by the host. I like it that way.

Assuming the "server favorites" idea was implemented, how would a favorite be specified?

I mean, would it be like saying "Oh, I like John's servers, so tell me when he is hosting"
or
would it be more specific such as "I like John's RP server but I don't care for his freebuilds, just let me know when the RP is back up!"

Perhaps this idea demands the addition of proper tags for servers? I personally would like to see some method of filtering out certain types of servers based on tags.

That was my initial argument against having server favorites. I think people are going to have to live with it being by host ID until a better way of identifying the servers you like is possible.

When I said this was hard to implement - I was referring specifically to the notifications of your favorite servers going online. Having a list of favorite servers is super simple.

I suppose since RTB is widely used, when the server is posted to the RTB server, the server could send updates to all the users that have it in favorites.

Having a list of favorite servers is super simple.
That's what I had thought about. I think a cool feature would be to pin or star servers on the server list, so when they're online the automatically sort up to the top of the server list.

That's what I had thought about. I think a cool feature would be to pin or star servers on the server list, so when they're online the automatically sort up to the top of the server list.

Also, I would like to add that it'll be awesome if it has a friend icon, meaning you have friends playing in it.

Someone did suggest coloring servers in green if you have friends on it. As usual it's going to be one of those annoying things to implement but it's a decent idea.

Someone did suggest coloring servers in green if you have friends on it. As usual it's going to be one of those annoying things to implement but it's a decent idea.
I agree. This would be nice to have, doesnt seem like something you couldn't do in an hour or 2, but it's not nessicary. I mean, i support the suggestion, but I don't think many people would care if you didn't put this in RTB 4.

Ephi why not add a way to have a picture so if you add a friend they have their own custom picture?

Ephi why not add a way to have a picture so if you add a friend they have their own custom picture?
Then people will add research as their picture. And I don't think he wants mods to waste their time censoring it.

99% of the time personal images are stupid. Look at everyone's avatars for an example of this. I don't want to waste my time implementing something like this when it adds no extra functionality to the client. Plus they won't fit into my awesome looking design.

Well thanks ephi for clarifying that.
EDIT:
What about rtb forums avatar images?

"Plus they won't fit into my awesome looking design."