Author Topic: Worlds (AKA "The Planets" map)  (Read 29020 times)

I've made some smaller asteroids to go along with the larger "base" one so it doesn't look so out-of-place. They will be scattered around it and you will be able to build on them as well.

Also, I did some quick experimentation with the sun and it seems that bricks (but not interiors) are effected by altering the properties of the sun...perhaps matching the colors of the bricks to the interiors is a possibility.

I don't have any lava emitters unfortunately.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Rings" rkynick. My assumption is that you are referring to something like the rings of Saturn; if so, I'm not sure I can justify building on those. I honestly don't know how I'd pull off something like the rings, other than by using a basic DTS shape. Other worlds will have more interesting terrain than the Grassy world you spawn on.

I meant literal rings instead of the clouds of dust and ice.  Thin rectangle paths around a world. Interiors.

Imagine a rectangular prism about 130% the length and width of a world and 1 stud or 1 f stud in height, with the center 105% cut out.

Going faster then expected.

-snips-
You can insert light entities in interiors using Torque constructor [Like what Badspot did for lights in Bedroom and kitchen dark] correct?
If so, add orange lights beneath where the lava will be, so you could have an orange glow.
Also, not to crash the party, but i made an ideea of an ice planet map.
It could be fairly habitable, There are trees over the place [Tree houses, everyone?] there could be mountains surrounding the flat area, and a glacier, and could be a sheet of water under the surface, so you could add something like a cave or a secret there.
maybe.

There are a few misaligned textures of one or two brushes, but it works fine, really.
I need to fix it up.

EDIT: Also, sorry for talking too mucuh, but as a homage, add a crashed ruins of the Abloko 11 on the moon-type planet, featured in one of the old promos for The Planets [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xef3D-K7F8I]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:51:46 AM by Aphtonites »

I concur that there should be easter eggs. They make exploring a lot more fun.

Yes. Needs more easter eggs.

Are you going to add atmospheres around the "planets"?

I just had a decent idea.
To give moods for each planet, you could use the audio emmiter entity, and use a sound like, for example.
For a cold planet, you could have the sound of chilly winds.
For the hot lava planet, you could have heavy volcano and fire sounds.
And of course, for the green planet, slight wind, and birds.

Alright that sounds great. Now the only thing that would be nice is if it would take longer to reach the area I want the station to be at. I could possibly get that working by just making the station near another world instead of the building world. I'm sure if I needed to, I could also move the worlds around.

Can't wait to see how this turns out, I'd love to use host a freebuild server on a map like this.

That is possible Rkynick, but I'm not sure how good that would look. It would also defeat the point of having build pads around worlds. I may use the idea around a gas giant of sorts so the only area you can build on is the ring.

There remains much to be accomplished, Oasis.

That looks pretty good Aptonites. My idea for the ice world was leaning more towards the slightly less inviting Hoth from Star Wars, but I could see it being inspired by a more alpine environment. It is also a little bit on the small side and doesn't appear to conform to the 8x or 4x cube standard I've been using thus far. I will try out the lights you mentioned, could be good for ambiance.

Planets will have atmospheres. I'm just mostly working on the interiors right now. I really need to get a skybox made soon.

An audio environment would be cool, but I'd have to find some clips that looped, and it'd have to be long enough so that players don't get bored of hearing the same sounds over and over again. I'll keep that in mind as I progress.

I think this map will be really interesting to build and play on when complete. I already have plans to host a Star Wars themed freebuild on it.

Couldn't you make an artificial sun by making an orb that has a bright interior light? Then again, I don't know if you can get rid of the sun in the skybox...

I loving want this map......

AHFFAHSDF! RAGAO !1 !!1! >:DSAIFasd

Jesus christ Reactor, dont make such awsome work.

inb4rectorworkeristhenextgsfg host

RW, I love you.
I love your avatar.
inb4rectorworkeristhenextgsfghost
Shut up. They both do 2 different types of maps.
Couldn't you make an artificial sun by making an orb that has a bright interior light? Then again, I don't know if you can get rid of the sun in the skybox...
You obviously don't got a clue what you are talking about. He'll probably use FX Sunlight.