Author Topic: Worlds (AKA "The Planets" map)  (Read 29205 times)

Awesome. I would suggest however on the planet that you showed to at least add a small body of water.

Just a note, for a world with some caverns you could always use 2-4 separate interiors aligned together. Although I think that spawns lighting issues, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I look forward to this. Try to reference the textures from their locations in the base files rather than repackaging them, though, I use a subtly altered stud texture and I know some other people use their own edits. The difference is pretty jarring when you look at them side by side, and if you're trying to cut down on download times it's a few less files - albeit small ones - that don't need to be downloaded.

As for skybox ideas, the semitransparent one seems like a good idea. The whole atmosphere could be a semitransparent cube about an 8x cube out from the ground interiors.

OK, another update for tonight. I managed to put together a working asteroid interior with plenty of room within for a small base. It isn't perfectly square inside so builders will have to think creatively about how they integrate their structure into the "rock". There is a large "tunnel" suitable for a runway of sorts. and area on top for turrets and/or other structures. Can't wait to see what others can come up with.

As much as I'd like to simply reference the base files, I need several different colors for my interiors and I am not aware of any way to simply "colorshift" a single texture for different interiors. So I'm using separate stud textures of different colors. They aren't very large in file size so I don't anticipate any issues with using many of them.

I'll see what I can do about transparency and DTS shapes. Although I don't quite remember how I finally achieved it...it is possible, as are animations. I still have to resurrect my Milkshape license.

How about rings around a planet that you could build on?

Also a grid of randomly raised 32x32 (or smaller) chunks for a planet would be good. Not too complex but still more interesting.

How about rings around a planet that you could build on?

Also a grid of randomly raised 32x32 (or smaller) chunks for a planet would be good. Not too complex but still more interesting.
You can't build on rings silly.

Although, make some moons. :D

Sounds very cool, I can't wait to play on this. (Especially if someone takes my spaceship suggestion...)

Can we see a diagram of how you're going to lay out your solar system? Ooh, will there be more than one solar system?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Rings" rkynick. My assumption is that you are referring to something like the rings of Saturn; if so, I'm not sure I can justify building on those. I honestly don't know how I'd pull off something like the rings, other than by using a basic DTS shape. Other worlds will have more interesting terrain than the Grassy world you spawn on.

I'll be working on a moon next. Not sure if I want to make multiple versions or just reuse a single interior one or two times. Not all worlds need their own moons.

Here is a diagram of what I currently have planned for the positioning of the planets. Distances aren't necessarily to scale. As you can see, I still need ideas for more two worlds.

Bottom should be lego land.

It's a pun!

How did you make half spheres in torque constructor?

Well, there goes a space map i was working on.
I'd love to help though, i'm a decent interior mapper for Blockland, and i'm good at designing textures too.
And i have started to learn a bit in Milkshape.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:45:03 PM by Aphtonites »

How about a swamp themed planet with rain?

The half spheres were made in Constructor by using the sphere tool and then forming a cube over the top half of it. You then select the cube and hit the modify button, then hit "Subtract". The program will recreate the brushes to form a hemisphere. I don't recommend the method as it can produce odd shapes and errors. Really, the whole interior system isn't suitable for making curved forms.

Not a bad idea Prince. May be difficult to pull off, but could be a really interesting world to play on.

I've decided that rather than try and embody a fake sun within the map, I will simply use the sun that is part of the skybox. This has several advantages to it: it allows travel and sight between planets to be easier, it negates the need to try and make a convincing sun, and it avoids any awkwardness that comes from having two suns with only one proper light source for the map. In place of the sun will be the spawn world.

Moon interior is complete. Nothing mind blowing or overly detailed...just a small area for building and a few craters.

This seems to remind me very much of an old RTB1.45 map I made with floating DTS terrain. I completely forgot what it was called, but it was basically a planets map except with floating islands and no atmosphere things.
I cant even remember the name of my own map, sad. :P

This seems to remind me very much of an old RTB1.45 map I made with floating DTS terrain. I completely forgot what it was called, but it was basically a planets map except with floating islands and no atmosphere things.
I cant even remember the name of my own map, sad. :P
It's all dem easter baskets in your closet.