Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 268269 times)

You only need lots of fuel for leaving the atmosphere.

Not if you want to send a small ship to another planet.

How does one make an orbital fuel station? Are there certain tanks you have to use?

You may want to use the orange-tipped Mk25 parachute to initially slow down your craft during reentry. The Mk25 is really small, so you shouldn't rely on it on its own. Once you have the craft down to ~200 km/h, deploy the Mk16. The latter parachute should deploy between 1500 to 600 meters.
Thanks, I finally landed a pod home safely. I had no idea parachutes were so frail now.

http://www.twitch.tv/kerbalsp

They're teaching how to play the new version apparently.

Finally got it downloaded.
My plans:

Mun base, using pseudo rovers with docks to build a station there piece by piece.

Sputnik probe to orbit things and conduct science.

Generic space station orbiting Kerbin (I don't know what I would do with it yet)

Some sort of fuel dock, one that I an launch into orbit of the sun, and attach to itself.
(Though how will you connect fuel from a docking part to your engines??)

Fancy plane to explore the Kerbin Desert.

Plan feedback:
Rovers can be gotten by mods, and that's a very interesting and difficult objective indeed. Lol, good luck.
Yeah, that'll work.
This might be difficult.
No idea.
You might want to get ISA Mapsat, map kerbin a bit until a second Kerbal Space Center shows up on the map, and explore it. Trust me, getting to it is more of an achievement than exploring the kerbin desert.

I'll check that off of my list for now.

I got a plane to the desert and flew around a bit also, but didn't find anything (the devs mentioned that you should search the desert). I'll be going back once I improve my plane (got it to scream through the atmosphere at 1000m/s though ^.^).

I haven't really gotten the hand of this maneuvering thing by clicking your trajectory, but I'll get it.

Never been to the second KSC, maybe I'll put that on my to-do list.

Wait, how did you tilt the antenna like that?

Wait, how did you tilt the antenna like that?
Shift-Q/E/W/S/A/D

My first dock. It took awhile to figure out the new tools, but basically, you can select your satellite as a target, then burn on the yellow retrograde or prograde in order to reach it.

This moment^; is better than love.

Detached successfully, did a quick crew swap so that Jeb was in the satellite, then landed on Kerbin.

Earlier today I was working on making a plane that carried a car, and since you can change control of certain capsules, you can fly the plane, drop the car, enable some chutes, land the car, and drive it around.
My first model failed because I thought it was a good idea to use the unmaned probe as a starter. If you want another Kerbal inside any other pods you attach to your ship, do not start with an unmaned probe. All pods attached will be empty.

Mun Base, Fuel Dock, and Car Dropper left on my to-do list.

They made it easier to rendezvous?
Lame, I did that by hand wha'cha know about this? YOLO

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:17:54 AM by The Black Card »

God, it's so hard to get into orbit. Any tips? I know how to do it due to STARING AT MECHJEB, but it's very hard to do it manually.

I've been playing on vanilla most of the time, the only mod I've had was the claw mod on v.15

Assuming you're building your rocket right..

While you're going up, go into map view, wait for your apoapsis to rise above 70,000m and cut your engines.

Now turn to your right on the nav ball (90degree mark) to where the blue and orange meet. (Depending on the size of your ship you may need to throttle up just a tiny bit to turn here)

By now you should see that you're around 1 minute away from reaching your apoapsis, so when that time reaches around 30~ seconds, Full thrust until the apoapsis starts to move away from you and the periapsis is even with it (imagine a top down view, with a T, periapsis on the left, apoapsis on the right, you on the bottom). Usually you'll have to "chase" the apoapsis to keep from passing it, just move along the 90 degree line a bit left and it should come back.

Congratulations, you're in orbit.
Also, you may want to take the tutorials from the main menu. They help.

I've been playing on vanilla most of the time, the only mod I've had was the claw mod on v.15

Assuming you're building your rocket right..

While you're going up, go into map view, wait for your apoapsis to rise above 70,000m and cut your engines.

Now turn to your right on the nav ball (90degree mark) to where the blue and orange meet. (Depending on the size of your ship you may need to throttle up just a tiny bit to turn here)

By now you should see that you're around 1 minute away from reaching your apoapsis, so when that time reaches around 30~ seconds, Full thrust until the apoapsis starts to move away from you and the periapsis is even with it (imagine a top down view, with a T, periapsis on the left, apoapsis on the right, you on the bottom). Usually you'll have to "chase" the apoapsis to keep from passing it, just move along the 90 degree line a bit left and it should come back.

Congratulations, you're in orbit.
Also, you may want to take the tutorials from the main menu. They help.
That is so much more complicated than what I've done...

I just reach about 30,000 meters and point a bit under the horizon of the desired direction. Burn all the fuels. Drop my satellite, then return.