Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 268284 times)

now if only we could power engines with just air

also how do these electric engines wooork

you need batteries
and xenon
did i mention the batteries?
and xenon?

you need batteries
and xenon
did i mention the batteries?
and xenon?
I have both.
plus solar panels.
they still do nothing ;-;

I have both.
plus solar panels.
they still do nothing ;-;
Ion engines in real life take hours to increase velocity by like 1mph. They can move stuff, but certainly not in a vertical launch rocket. It will only show a different in space, or with a horizontal plane design.

Ion engines in real life take hours to increase velocity by like 1mph. They can move stuff, but certainly not in a vertical launch rocket. It will only show a different in space, or with a horizontal plane design.
right. in space. :o I wanted to use them to prolong orbit when needed.
basically, I built a big space station, and I can get it up there fine, but I was gonna use the electric engines to burn prograde and extend the orbit when it starts getting smaller y'know?

The orbit will stay indefinitely unless something else pushes it.
 :cookieMonster:

right. in space. :o I wanted to use them to prolong orbit when needed.
basically, I built a big space station, and I can get it up there fine, but I was gonna use the electric engines to burn prograde and extend the orbit when it starts getting smaller y'know?
Pictures?

The orbit will stay indefinitely unless something else pushes it.
 :cookieMonster:
BUT
GRAVITY
HNYEEEGH
Pictures?
Once it's done, sure! :D
It's basically a big solar panel array, storage/containers, and docking ports.

Ok, I've started my journey to re-figure out KSP. I've gotten into orbit with a preliminary manned mission, and then I launched a small satellite. Plan to land on Mun soon, and create a small space station to act as a stepping stone to for a Mun base one day.

BUT
GRAVITY
HNYEEEGH
gravity is what keeps it in orbit lol
its orbit will only lower if acted on by another force - drag from the upper atmosphere, engine burns, etc

forget, shut both of my batteries down, lost control of my only satellite.

Well, my space program is a miserable failure, with not a single reentry from orbit, planetary landing, or satellite use.

Once it's done, sure! :D
It's basically a big solar panel array, storage/containers, and docking ports.
Okay cool.
Later I want to try to get a bunch of fuel stations all around the universe and just send fuel to each one before a launch to a planet for when I do I don't need such a fuel heavy ship.

What's the optimal type of parachute, and at what height is it best to deploy it. Every time I do it, the thing rips off mid-air as my Kerbals smash into the ground.

How does one make an orbital fuel station? Are there certain tanks you have to use?

What's the optimal type of parachute, and at what height is it best to deploy it. Every time I do it, the thing rips off mid-air as my Kerbals smash into the ground.

You may want to use the orange-tipped Mk25 parachute to initially slow down your craft during reentry. The Mk25 is really small, so you shouldn't rely on it on its own. Once you have the craft down to ~200 km/h, deploy the Mk16. The latter parachute should deploy between 1500 to 600 meters.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:30:26 AM by Comatose »

gravity is what keeps it in orbit lol
its orbit will only lower if acted on by another force - drag from the upper atmosphere, engine burns, etc
Drag from the upper atmosphere? wat