Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 270143 times)

Build stable rocket with an atmospheric, orbital, lander/return stage.
Fly rocket up till apoapsis is about 100,000m~
Wait till you're about 30-60 seconds from your apoapsis and fire your rockets to your right (90 degree mark)
Once you're in a circular orbit, wait till the Mun rises over the surface of Kerbin, they should almost be lined up:
.......Mun\  <--- Rotating around Kerbin counterclockwise
......Kerbin\  <--- You see the Mun "Rise" over the surface of Kerbin
..........You\
Then blast off, you should run into the Mun's sphere of influence.
Landing is the hard part.
When you're about 100,000m off of the Mun, do a burn at full speed for a second or two to see how fast you can slow your decent. Then gauge that with how fast you're losing altitude and try to only make one or two big burns to save fuel. Try to touch down as slow as possible. RCS will help you lose any lateral speed you may have here. (jklihn keys)

Welcome to the Mun.

If you'd like to return, you need at least a half tank of liquid fuel. Usually you can get away with simply blasting straight off of wherever you landed and fall into Kerbin's sphere of influence.

Me too. :(
I sent him a thank-you PM. You should do the same.

Build stable rocket with an atmospheric, orbital, lander/return stage.
Fly rocket up till apoapsis is about 100,000m~
Wait till you're about 30-60 seconds from your apoapsis and fire your rockets to your right (90 degree mark)
Once you're in a circular orbit, wait till the Mun rises over the surface of Kerbin, they should almost be lined up:
.......Mun\  <--- Rotating around Kerbin counterclockwise
......Kerbin\  <--- You see the Mun "Rise" over the surface of Kerbin
..........You\
Then blast off, you should run into the Mun's sphere of influence.
Landing is the hard part.
When you're about 100,000m off of the Mun, do a burn at full speed for a second or two to see how fast you can slow your decent. Then gauge that with how fast you're losing altitude and try to only make one or two big burns to save fuel. Try to touch down as slow as possible. RCS will help you lose any lateral speed you may have here. (jklihn keys)

Welcome to the Mun.

If you'd like to return, you need at least a half tank of liquid fuel. Usually you can get away with simply blasting straight off of wherever you landed and fall into Kerbin's sphere of influence.
One question -- how do I keep my rocket straight as it's going up into the atmosphere? I have like 8 advanced SAS modules and they don't do anything past stabilizing it a little bit.

Make sure your center of mass and center of thrust are at a logical distance away. Try balancing something like a pencil on your finger, then put a weight on the top, balance it, then the bottom, balance it.
You'll need some control surfaces to help keep you up depending on how your ship is structured (wings man, wings), and you should also add SAS modules for anti-spin.

Here's a picture of one of my ships that goes to other planets.

There are some issues with this (it's an older model)
It's fine with one less large RCS fuel tank, the outer engines/fuel tanks need to be higher up, and the RCS boosters on the lander need to be spread evenly, not in the middle of the lander.

ah, figured out how to orbit
this is getting easier now
also, are RCS modules needed?

RCS is for precision control.
It's good for orbital rendezvous, getting rid of lateral speed when landing, and assisting your ASAS and SAS.

When I play I just go with my gut and I can get into orbit and stuff.

hey guys
so my rocket is loving beautiful now
but for some reason it tilts like an starfish as soon as I start
it has 6 SAS and 1 ASAS modules, so I dunno what's up
all of the centers of thrust, mass, and lift are in the center of the rocket
save file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n99b2siu5vvjzha

(requires novapunch pack at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/3870-0-16-NovaPunch-Remix-Pack-1-3-Beta-%28Sept-7th%29-Compatible-with-0-17?highlight=remix+pack , you should DL it anyway because it's lovey)

IRL friends SSTO spaceplane. Gets into orbit with plentttty of fuel for maneuvers and can be landed anywher on kerbin easily. Also looks lovey.
Completely stock.