Author Topic: Euclideon Island Demo 2011: Say Goodbye to Polygons  (Read 4180 times)

He is right though, our children will look back at our games and think they were stuff.

right about that, yes
i wouldnt expect it to be any other way

You guys are always expecting the worst :o

just wait it out and THEN start complaining.
It's true, they haven't added any physics and animation in, which will take a huge chunk of processing power.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:45:17 PM by Domidore66 »

So, how they say it is that they can just run unlimited ammounts of these new atoms... I wonder if that means that they can be run on PCs a few years old.

I hope they give the option in games implementing this technology to use regular polygon rendering considering about 85% of computers will probably not be able to run this.

I hope they give the option in games implementing this technology to use regular polygon rendering considering about 85% of computers will probably not be able to run this.
They won't.

make that 100%
with current hardware it's impossible to run this in real-time

You guys are acting like companies are gonna start pumping out games that are impossible to run just because this comes out

If this was on the PS3 for Just Cause 2 and Gran Turismo 5...

/climax

It would be cool if we could use this for all static objects and then use polygons for dynamic/animated/movable/etc objects.

i am currently upgrading an old computer (windows 98) and wondering if this will work on it if it doesn't don't worry (i have $100 to spend on upgrades can that get me a good computer that can run most modern games???)

He is right though, our children will look back at our games and think they were stuff.
Child: Duke Nukem Forever? More like Duke Sucks Forever.

he makes all modern games sound so stuffty lol

I don't get this. You guys are all saying that it will run at -7fps.

But the ability to make this level of detail already existed. The whole project is about making it run at a decent speed, not making it look nice. We can already make things look nice.

Their entire project is about optimization.

I've done like 18 ninja edits on this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:14:06 PM by Doomonkey »

In games where there are more polygons in the scene then pixels on the screen, this will far surpass conventional polygon rendering in terms of performance.
Sparse Voxel Octrees also allow for a few methods of animation using fairly standard bone techniques but with a little extra work behind the scenes. Collision detection can also be done quite precisely and rather quickly in comparison to octree based collision detection in conjunction with polygon rendering (the latter is fairly slow with many objects near one another). Alternatively collision detection can be done with the more standard bounding boxes that we use today which is faster and will offer just as much detail in physics simulations as we have in current games.

I would like to point out that in the video he says they are running the 21 trillion voxel scene at 20 fps and have other versions which run much faster. Although I don't see their specs doing a quick google search I found a video of a sparse voxel octree scene using roughly 200 billion voxels running at 60 fps on a medium end graphics card.

The technology is not as impossible as some of you make it out to be.