Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425275 times)

Shaders are 100% optional. Just turn them off and the game runs as well as ever. Please note I covered this in the OP. In general I will delete posts asking questions from the OP. -- kompressor
That's not what I meant. The people who can't run shaders would have to turn them off. Then they've lost interiors and terrain with nothing to show for it.

I believe what he means is, if they can't use the shaders and are losing old maps that use interiors and terrain, wouldn't this update be a downgrade/removal of content (or simply a giant middle finger) to them? :panda:
Yes, this.

Do blockheads cast shadows on others?

I would think that there would be a way to blend Terrain in with the new feature Right? All FPS games have something like that, and some Even lower quality than the engine blockland runs on :I

1.) If you place multiple light sources in different directions, and lets say you build a 2x2 pillar of bricks, will it cast multiple shadows?

2.) If you place a player-made light on a brick, will lights go through bricks still? Or will they stop lights going through walls.

1.) If you place multiple light sources in different directions, and lets say you build a 2x2 pillar of bricks, will it cast multiple shadows?

2.) If you place a player-made light on a brick, will lights go through bricks still? Or will they stop lights going through walls.
If this new shadows and shaders thing is implimented, It might block lights from going through walls, which would be great.

This was a good idea to have it posted, as it will give a chance for the community to get prepared for the loss of the interiors and terrain. Instead of bitching, we might as well get down to create some builds which would make up for the loss of the inspiration factor coming from "solving problems".

Also, how would lighting affect bricks like the 1x4x5 window brick? Would it act like a solid brick (as seen on the server preview) or would it act like a transparent brick?

Wait when this update comes if I am using brick textures would if effect or would my blockland stop working or is it bad like it wont work at all?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:36:01 AM by Negative »

Wait, so would interiors still work or just look ugly?

I'm fine with ugly

That's not what I meant. The people who can't run shaders would have to turn them off. Then they've lost interiors and terrain with nothing to show for it.
Except  the shadows and shaders aren't the only thing that's going to come out of removing interiors and terrain.

As said in the original post (not hard to miss I tell you!), this will make it a lot easier to bring out future updates.

Wait, so would interiors still work or just look ugly?

I'm fine with ugly
They already look ugly. They're being removed.

There will be no option to 'toggle a terrain setting' because that is a really bad idea. You would have to have mountains of code to be able to support something like that...

It would make it extremely difficult for everyone. Why would the devs make it harder on themselves when they're removing these things to make development easier?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:35:59 AM by Chrono »

if Bedroom goes away, what will happen to Pecon7's Boss Battles?

:panda:

It's a fun server.

I will miss terrain, because bricks have never been able to equal it.

It's a fun server.
He does the unthinkable...
HE BUILDS THE ARENA!!!

It's a fun server.

He might actually have to put in effort!

He does the unthinkable...
HE BUILDS THE ARENA!!!
What I've been suggesting to him for a while now!

I will miss terrain, because bricks have never been able to equal it.
Of course, they can't equal something inferior.

Will hilly bricks even be considered as BRICKS?

Well yeah, the bottom and/or top bits would have to still be brick shaped to build onto other bricks. The ramps section is gonna need a hella update...