Poll

Do you agree with the OP?

100% - Yes, It's like the OP read my mind.
75% - Yes, I think most of what I've read holds true.
50% - Meh, Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't.
25% - No, For the most part, I don't really see any of this, but I can agree with a few things.
0% - No, The OP clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Author Topic: Blockland Today - The Fun Is Missing... Or is it?  (Read 22203 times)

If someone would be kind enough to organize all the pictures for icons into a single post, it would be appreciated, that way I can even start a poll to see which one people like more.

Image is very true, people need to be better to new players. I always see someone who just bought the game being called a noob and what would you expect of someone who just bought it an hour ago? To be an expert? No. But by being so demeaning to people starting off is how they leave, if we were nicer they would stay longer and possibly share the game with others.

This is how it works:
-snip-

We need to grab their interest at the beginning, when they're still willing to learn the ropes of the game.  This is where we come in.  Otherwise, they may become uninterested in advice and lose interest in the game, may even quit.
Nice graph. I wish I could pull graphs that awesome out of my ass.

If someone would be kind enough to organize all the pictures for icons into a single post, it would be appreciated, that way I can even start a poll to see which one people like more.
Well for one, the topic is now about BLMU, so maybe create a new one for BLMU and link us here.  It would be easiest to organize thoughts in a new thread's OP.

Can we decide on the group logo for the Steam Group?

Personally I like RFW's 512x512 edit of my logo. The gradient sky with the newb and the oldie at a table, with no text.

I completely agree with Rykuta.  In addition, this is in no way related to the actual game itself, it's the community that is letting Blockland go downhill.

Edit:
While thinking back to great servers I've been on, my mind immediately went to Ace's floating islands exploration rpg.  I loved that to death.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:33:36 PM by _Rave_ »

No, Blockland doesn't have a lot of fun things to do unless you work hard and tirelessly to make a good build or find one which takes way too much time and skill.
I have good times with friends just by loving around and building simple fun things. You need to get creative and stop believing that "fun" is a chore.

I have good times with friends just by loving around and building simple fun things. You need to get creative and stop believing that "fun" is a chore.
THIS

Note that the point in the OP was to say that creativity is overlooked and needs attention.

Although that's a valid point, this community does not support that philosophy at all.

For instance, my first working server was a Desert DM. I had crumbling, half destroyed buildings in a relatively small arena, and only melee weapons [Bow, swords, axes, spear]. It was simple, it was fun, it was strategic... but because it wasn't the flashiest or most overly done project, people did nothing but flame it.

People also complained SO much that it was "Spammy". I did use baseplates, but in order to create the texture and realism of the build, I HAD to make it spammy, for god sakes, the houses are made of brick... I wasn't about to use 10x5 walls, it would have looked like beige sheetrock lol. I even went as far as making all 7 buildings unique.

So, although I agree that "simple"-"creative"-"Fun" should suffice, the giant troll that is the blockland community doesn't support that.

I can't help but to keep agreeing with people's posts.  The above is so true.

most of the people here that agree, also go on to tell a personal story about a not so successful server they tried running.

you sucking at being admins or sucking at having a fun server people would want to join =/= community or game going to stuff.

most of the people here that agree, also go on to tell a personal story about a not so successful server they tried running.

you sucking at being admins or sucking at having a fun server people would want to join =/= community or game going to stuff.

...and it's because of asshat logic like that, that no one sticks around long enough to become good builders/admins.

I agree.

But the
community or game going to stuff
is because of people
sucking at being admins or sucking at having a fun server people would want to join

Just saying.