Author Topic: Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe".  (Read 7008 times)

It is only an upgrade.
No, because you see, if they just called it an upgrade themselves they'd already be losing more money. They want it to REPLACE these older systems such as vista and 7, becuasse why the hell would a company NOT want that? They want MONEY and the only way to make money off of a successful system is to make a better one! However it isn't even an upgrade, it's a downgrade from what the Windows 7 can already do. It's pointless is what it is, and it'll be a flop, rest assured. But they can't back out and change it now, they've already spent money on making it

The picture at the bottom of Gabe shows how strongly this opinion of Windows 8 goes with everyone elses.

It also shows that Microsoft wants complete control over what can be put on Windows.  The new Metro (Or whatever they will call it, because a few months from release is the best time to rename your biggest feature!) apps can only be downloaded through the Store app and no other apps can sell them.  Gabe Newell knows his stuff when it comes to user creation (Many of Valve's employees come from mod teams) and Windows (Prior to starting Valve, Gabe Newell worked on Windows).
You can still download regular programs normally. The only thing this will effect is the metro apps, and regulation of these types of apps never hurt anyone.

However it isn't even an upgrade, it's a downgrade from what the Windows 7 can already do.
Name one area in which it is a downgrade. I can probably disprove anything you attempt to throw.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:16:52 PM by Doomonkey »

Windows 8 interface is the worst thing to come out of Microsoft.

The operating system may as well join Microsoft's other catastrophes, that being Windows ME and Windows Vista.

Isn't this close to what Apple does?
It is what Apple does, though Apple has taken it to a new extreme with Mountain Lion.  It doesn't allow applications downloaded from the internet to run by default.
You can still download regular programs normally. The only thing this will effect is the metro apps, and regulation of these types of apps never hurt anyone.
Until Microsoft stops supporting that side of the OS entirely.  What's the point of separating the traditional desktop and Metro (Microsoft, before you stop using a name, think of another one to put in its place) apps so much?  Why can't Metro apps run in a windowed mode in the traditional desktop?  it seems to me that Microsoft wants to kill of the traditional desktop entirely.

Name one area in which it is a downgrade. I can probably disprove anything you attempt to throw.
Here you go, you said it.
You can always change back to an earlier version. Well there you go, that's what everyone else is going to do! They've probably already spent a million or more making Windows 8, and for what? For everyone to go in and switch it back to an earlier version. It's not even compatible for big companies whyo make software for Windows 7 already. And now they have to change it or learn how to make it compatible which forces the companies to spend money as well. Those companies might as well just continue to make software for Windows 7, and boycott Windows 8

Until Microsoft stops supporting that side of the OS entirely.  What's the point of separating the traditional desktop and Metro (Microsoft, before you stop using a name, think of another one to put in its place) apps so much?  Why can't Metro apps run in a windowed mode in the traditional desktop?  it seems to me that Microsoft wants to kill of the traditional desktop entirely.
To me it seems like they want to pioneer the use of tablets as home computers as well. You use the metro mode on the go, but then plug in the tablet to a docking station and return to the standard Windows environment.

-not compatible snip-
Windows 7 programs are compatible with Windows 8.

To me it seems like they want to pioneer the use of tablets as home computers as well. You use the metro mode on the go, but then plug in the tablet to a docking station and return to the standard Windows environment.
Still, why can't I simply use a Metro app in the desktop environment?  

Windows 7 programs are compatible with Windows 8.
Well waste of money is still what it is. I know nothing about computers by the way, I'm just using common sense through an economic level. Well not really but---

Here you go, you said it.
You can always change back to an earlier version. Well there you go, that's what everyone else is going to do! They've probably already spent a million or more making Windows 8, and for what? For everyone to go in and switch it back to an earlier version. It's not even compatible for big companies whyo make software for Windows 7 already. And now they have to change it or learn how to make it compatible which forces the companies to spend money as well. Those companies might as well just continue to make software for Windows 7, and boycott Windows 8

um... no. he was suggesting we do what everyone did when xp came out and we didnt like the UI. change the looks.
i used vista with the windows classic setup.

and people with windows 8 will set the UI back to the 7 style. they will simply not the use xbox-ish looking stuff that you are all reading about.

that is not the same thing as using an earlier version... its all just for looks.

only a handicap thinks a new version of windows means you have to use it differently then the old one lol its never been that way and 8 wont change it.

gabe dosnt even elaborate on why windows 8 sucks... he mentions things we can choose not to use or change manually. i dont get the big deal
hes prob talking about the base target market, the handicaps who change no settings and use everything as is.

Still, why can't I simply use a Metro app in the desktop environment?  
I don't know. I was disappointed with that as well. I hope the official release will allow this. I haven't tried it in anything past the consumer preview, but I can test it in Server 2012 (which uses the 8 interface) on Monday.

Well then I'm out. I'll let the people who know what they're talking about argue ;-;

um... no. he was suggesting we do what everyone did when xp came out and we didnt like the UI. change the looks.
i used vista with the windows classic setup.

and people with windows 8 will set the UI back to the 7 style. they will simply not the use xbox-ish looking stuff that you are all reading about.

that is not the same thing as using an earlier version... its all just for looks.

only a handicap thinks a new version of windows means you have to use it differently then the old one lol its never been that way and 8 wont change it.

gabe dosnt even elaborate on why windows 8 sucks... he mentions things we can choose not to use or change manually. i dont get the big deal
hes prob talking about the base target market, the handicaps who change no settings and use everything as is.
You can't disable Metro (or whatever they will call it next week) without hacking it out through the registry. 

I don't even have Windows 7 yet. :l